Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band with Hypoglycemia ?

Hello I am a 24 year old female I have been researching about the lap band surgery and I am interested in doing it.. I am 5'11 I weigh around 260lbs I want to be around 150lbs.

But my only concern is that I am hypogylcemic how does the lap band surgery affect this diesease?

will it help it? make it worse?

thank you :rolleyes:

:thumbdown::confused:

Goddess84, you are the first hypoglycemic that I have met on this board. I have had it for 20 years and it has been a major stumbling block for me in the past with dieting.

I am happy to report that this surgery and the follow-on eating plan drastically improve the hypoglycemia.

You may have to play with it a little as you start the pre-op diet. My doc said 1 TBS of jelly, honey, or two other things I can't remember, to control low sugar. Once you get over the initial withdraw from carbs, you level out and hypoglycemia nearly disappears.

However, let me forewarn you, if you go back to eating junk food and carbs, it will come back just like before. I did this over the holidays and had a terrible time getting back on track, but am having no problems lately.

Best of luck to you and feel free to PM me anytime.

You have just given me hope.....I found out yesterday through all the testing that the surgeon has given me that I am hypoglycemic. I have been referred to a endochrinologist and had fears that I would not be able to get the surgery. I am so happy to hear that it actually helped you. I hope the endo DR allows me to have the surgery. This roller coaster ride I am on is no darn fun. :sneaky:

Kap, extra weith def contributes to hypoglycemia, so it should actually be yet another argument FOR the surgery, not against.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am really beside myself about this. I have done the 6 month diet and now it seems all is falling apart. I know this is all for the best but I just want the surgery alredy....LOL!!! I actually was able to get an appt with the endo DR tomorrow. I going to relax and try and let this run its coarse. thanks again. :sneaky:

What is falling apart? Have you submitted to ins yet? I got denied the first time through and had to appeal and was approved then.

They make us work for it sure, but you'll get there!

Keep me posted!

No I have not got to submit to the insurance yet. I guess I just assumed after the 6 month diet that I would submit to the insurance, get my approval and then get my surgery. All along they have told me I would have surgery at the end of March. I am just being inpatient. I know all the test are mandatory and for my own good. I am going to the DR today to I will let you know what he says. Thanks again for your support. My surgeons office said they have not actually had anyone with hypoglycemia...so I am their first....yeah for me....just kidding. :tt2: