Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions on Ever Eating Normal

Hi - I'm new to this group. I'm scheduled for Lapband in April and was reading "Weight Loss Surgeries for Dummies." It talks about everything you will never eat again. I'm concerned. Will I ever eat normal things like bread, spaghetti or rice. OR do I just have to know these things will be given up forever. Thanks for your help.:thumbup:

I haven't been banded yet, but from what I've gathered from this site is when your band is tight its not really recommended to eat that cuz it can get stuck. I just bought that book last night and I have noticed that some things that are different between LB and by-pass they lump together as being for both.

I can't eat bread....but I do fine with rice and Pasta....no carbonation.

I miss bread....sometimes I just want a giant subway sandwich.....but then I go put on my size 10 jeans and the sandwich doesn't sound all that great.

I just had my NUT visit. Post-Op I can eventually eat almost everything obviously stressing healthy eating, avoiding high sugar, high fat, but if I have a little of those I just figure them into the daily calorie total. I have a list of 'be careful with items' like raw celery, asparagus, etc. because they can get stuck, but she said many can tolerate them just fine if chewed properly (yes, I still have bread, rice, even Bagels on the OK list in moderation, as non-complex carbs don't offer many nutrients). As Kelin said, the only thing I can't have is carbonated bev. as they can stretch the pouch (but some here let them go pretty flat and then drink them). I'll be eating everything healthy in small amounts. My NUT gives WAY different diet plans for RnY, there's a lot they can't tolerate because of 'dumping'. Here's my blog from this week that gives some details if you're interested.

2/6/09 NUT, Pulmonary, PT- Making the Rounds - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

When I was doing all my pre op reading I noticed that most books on the market are geared more towards bypass or rny surgery.

But, the follow up is totally different with the band. I was pretty dissapointed in the information (book wise)available for the band pre op. I found a lot of information here on this site.

You know, immediately post op, I was given the RnY guidelines on what to eat. I think that people, even surgeons tend to LUMP them all together.

My point though, is that at 4 weeks post op, I can eat almost anything. I have not yet tried the breads/pastas and stuff that you were talking about...But, I have had carne asada, chicken and other things.

I can eat anything I ate before surgery just in MUCH smaller amounts. The key is to always take small bites and chew very well! The only thing I have not had post surgery is carbonated drinks, soda or beer.

I have to chime in on the "can eat anything" side. In smaller but satisfying amounts. I am not hungry, and am satisfied with WAY less than before. I have spaghetti, I had part of a hot dog last night. (it was low fat and on a high Fiber bun but that was my choice...it was a hot dog, anyway!) I CAN drink carbonated beverages but it is too much a pain to do so. Sip burp burp burp sip burp burp burp. :thumbdown: That may or may not improve, but I was geared to give up my occasional beer and even more occasional coke for weight loss and health, so I'm not feeling deprived about it.

My doc stressed that I had to be prepared that I may never be able to eat certain foods - commonly bread and red meat but that it was by no means a given, it was luck of the draw, and that there could be ANY food that did not agree with me.

As it is, I can eat anything, but some things are harder than others. I still eat fruit and leafy salads, but they're "duty food" meaning I eat them slowly and carefully because I should for the sake of a balanced diet, but they dont go down easily and I dont enjoy them much.

But I can eat bread, rice, Pasta in small serves without a problem.

I agree with everyone else. You should be able to eat just about everything but in moderation. Some people, even with proper restriction (not too tight, not too loose) will have problems with some foods. Could be a meat of some sort, or bread or grains or veggies or whatever.

I have discovered, after getting stuck twice now, that I can not do ciabatta bread. I can do other breads, pastas, grains, etc. But not ciabatta bread. I think it's just the wrong texture. I just can't chew it enough for it to go through. Am I going to miss it? Not really. I mean, I like it, it would be nice to eat it but it's not a big deal.

Please don't panic about what you might or might not be able to eat after surgery. Right now it's your head talking. You will miss food but you'll miss the quantity that you used to be able to eat. Not so much the food itself. At least that's been my "loss" since surgery. And even that is just more of a "missing of an old friend" kind of thing. I'd much rather have the band than copious amounts of food!

Best wishes on your journey!!

Remember too that YOU are in control of the band. IF you find yourself too restricted, you may have it loosened or "unfilled" a little. Sometimes only .2 of a cc can make the difference between being able to eat, say, breads or not. Like heartfire who says she can't eat ciabatta bread but doesn't really miss it...you'll decide what are absolute must haves and what are can do withouts for you! :thumbdown:

You might find, after you get close to or at goal, that you redefine normal. I found that I no longer have a relationship with food, it is a means to fuel my body to get through the next few hours. I dont care about bread or Pasta or cheeseburgers. If it is reasonably healthy, available, and tasty enough I will eat it. I try to eat what is healthy and low in sodium but other than that, it is a non-issue. What I am saying it dont worry too much about it. Your tastes and attitude towards food will change and this is often a good thing.

I attended this seminar before I got my band and one of the nurses for my doctor got up to speak and talked about how she and other band patients find that 'their relationship' with food chances after getting the band. :rolleyes:

I have to tell you I thought she was on crack LOL. I'm sittin'n in this seminar after having the same 'relationship' with food I have always had for 34 years and thinking to myself: "Yah right. What does she know. Just cause it happened to her..I LOVE food. Is she freaking insane?!" :thumbdown:

But..then it has happened to me.. my relationship with food has changed ..so will yours.. you begin to live in a differant way..food becomes part of it, but suddenly pizza and spagetti and bread aren't your priority...each day I am amazed at how weird it all feels.

I eat anything in moderation. I basically have the same diet pre-band, but I am eating way way less food.

I don't have issues yet with being stuck, vomiting, sliming, or bps with any of the food I consume. I know some people have issues with certain food and the band. As of yet, I have not had those issues. (I hope I never do)

The reason why I selected the band was so that I can eat a well rounded diet, which includes fruit, veggies, meat, and grains without the issues with malabsorption.

I never drank soda before, so I did not have to give that up. Every now and then I will have wine and I do have coffee every morning. I am losing weight and I am really pleased with my results.

Good luck!

SpringerLink - Journal Article

With regard to the well rounded balanced diet, I found this interesting link - its only a study summary, not the whole report but its an Australian study showing that lap banding tends to result in mainly fat loss (and not lean tissue mass) at a 4:1 ratio. That's VERY good news.

Now bear in mind this is an Australian study - and I note Prof. Paul O'Brien is involved - and here in Australia the general recommendation is to eat from the five food groups, we dont really do a Protein focus (and Protein shakes are not seen as a "normal everyday food"), although Protein is of course acknowledged as one of the important macronutrients. So its is VERY interesting that we still seem to enjoy FAT loss and not a lot of fat free mass loss!

Balanced diets are a good thing!

Edited by Jachut