Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Ride/Journey I've Chosen

Hi, I am a newbie so to speak. New to the lapband - surgery 12-11-08 and also new to this...first time (is what I'm doing called chatting)!

A little about me .... 55 years old, married 35 years to a wonderful retired man, 1 son, 1 daughter in law, 1 13 year old grandson, currently kindergarten reading teacher for 3 years, first grade 17 years, and first year was in 6th grade in a rural K-8 district.

I've always been overweight, many diet attempts, always active. Never let my weight keep me from doing things and achieving - Child to young adult bowler when I met my husband who worked at the bowling lanes carried a 225 average. Was a chubby Jr. High Cheerleader, Played softball - pitcher & 2nd base - Last few years played - team was champs, Played high school volleyball. As a teacher, for 10 years I was the girls volleyball and basketball coach and both boy's and girl's track coach for 10 years.

My moto stayed intact.That is until about five years ago ...it caught up to me...sleep apnea, knees and hips going, and blood pressure creeping up. My mind said go...yes I can but my body said enough is enough.:thumbup:

At my highest lifetime weight 386, :clap: I was miserable and almost immobile. I was in therapy for my knee for 16 weeks. I was in such bad shape it was almost like I had a stroke. I worked through that and became a little bit more mobile. During the summer I looked into the lapband... and went to the informational seminar...After that day their was no turning back.

August 25, 2008 first visit with doctor weighed 376. Found out insurance would not pay, and that I would have to loss another 26 pounds before he would do the surgery.

December 8, 2008 (my husbands birthday) started pre-op liquid diet on December 11, 2008 had my surgery. My only fear was getting on the hospital scale that morning and finding out I was not 350 or under...I was prepare to strip down if I had to....(which would not have been a pretty sight) but my weight was 345 with clothes at home and 343 with clothes at the hospital. From then on I was all smiles.:clap:

I have not had any trouble ... I've went through all the diet stages ( I have followed all the rules/ with my husband's coaching) without anything bad happening. I'm on trial and error eating now...to see what I tolerate...so far nothing is on my Don't eat List except the doctor said no beef, pork, bread(sticky), celery for 6 mos. I was told to eat 1/2 cup 3x a day leaning heavily toward the Protein. I find my 1/2 cup tends to be a little rounded at the top whereas my husband's tends to be level....and he can tell what 1/2 cup is on a plate...so he has taken on the job of measuring! :thumbup: It's amazing though I'm never hungry between meals.... My eyes still think I need more...but as long as I know it's 1/2 cup I eat it and never feel hungry! I record and journal everything everyday.

At my last doctor's appointment 1-12-09 he tried to fill me at the office but could not find the port - set up appointment at the hospital to do the adjustment - added 2.5 cc. back on liquid for a day, then puree, then regular 1/2 cup. Still no problems.

My attitude is positive, my activity level is up, my energy level is up and my weight is down. I even walked a mile came in and biked (stationary) 10 minutes. For someone that could hardly walk from the parking lot to her classroom last year this to me is amazing! :w00t: My weight today is 321. I know I have a lot to go ... the rest of my life which because of this lifestyle change will be healthier, lighter, and happier.

As you can tell, I'm a talker. I'm wanting to learn more from those that have traveled on this journey and rode this ride. I want to learn from your successes and mistakes.. I want to make new friends that have chosen this lifestyle change.

I forgot to share my new motto : "Eating to Live" which changed from "Living to Eat". By just switching the words ... I'm healthier!

Edited by DebbieGail

Hi DebbieGail,

Welcome! I was just heading to bed, I am up way to late, but I saw your post. I just wanted to say hello and welcome! To answer your question, no, you weren't chatting you were posting. But chat is also available, and the people there are very helpful and friendly. The chat button link is at the top of the home page.

I was banded December 10th last year, so we are almost band twins. Close enough! There are a bunch of people who were banded in December 2008 who share messages in the December 2008 forum. We would love to have you join us.

-Fran

It's my 2nd month banded anniversary! Got up and stepped on the scale to see another loss! I'm at 61.5 from my first visit to the doctor 71.5 from my highest weight and 28.5 from date of surgery. I took pictures today to compare with surgery day pictures....I regret I didn't take a picture on first day to surgeon or highest weight. Well anyway, on today's picture when I looked close I saw a small but visible horizontal v indentation at where my waist should be. Wow, is that what a waist is.

I'm very proud of that horizontal v! What a terrific anniversary present - my husband spotted it first! Can't attach picture because I still don't know how to do it. That's the blight of a newbie on working on computers! But I'm trying and learning slowly.

I am concerned for the past 2 weeks, I have been fighting a cough, which has become worse, been to GP 3x. Been on 2 different antibiotics, cough med, and inhaler. About 4 days ago, the cough got so bad when I finish coughing it's like my airway has collapsed takes me a while to struggle and get my inhales/exhales working again. Along with that now, I'm experiencing something that feels like dry heaves! Called my surgeon because my band is so new I'm worried about damaging it. He suggested getting back with GP for stronger cough meds. After seeing my GP, he put me on Prednisone (pills)...again a call to my surgeon to make sure that was okay...He said it was but to add my pepcid tablets when I take the pills and at bedtime. I feel a little better...I guess it's still a good sign that I'm not having any trouble with keeping food or liquids down.

Anyone have any similiar experiences?

Highest Weight 386

1st visit to Surgeon 376

Surgery Date 343

2nd Anniversary Today 314.5

P.S. Thanks for responding, Fran. I will try and find the December 2008 Forum.

Deb