Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The cough can cause band slipage or damage to my band?

For two days I've had a persistent cough due to cold, I constantly asked if the cough can cause band slipage or damage to my band. I'm afraid that cold affect my band...:thumbup:

Edited by Gabband

Your safest bet is to ask your surgeon.

Thats a very good question. I came down with a really bad respiratory infection last weekend along with a fever (very rare to have a fever). Then it went into my chest 4 days ago and have been hacking constantly, more so at night when I would go to bed (due to the bronchitis). Eventually I had to see my Primary care doctor to ask him if he could prescribe something very strong to ease my cough because my port, and maybe the band, were hurting from hacking all the time. He gave me a script and it definately made a difference. I see my surgeon tomorrow and plan to ask him this same question. I have noticed that my band seems much tighter now and not sure if its because of all the post nasal drip making my stomach inflamed. hmm...

But in anycase, if your coughing gets to the point where cold medicines are not helping, and your hacking constantly, ask your surgeon or primary care doc to prescribe a strong cough suppressant.

I have had something since 1-22-09, It's weird - no fever, does not feel like it's in lungs (confirmed with chest xray 2-10-09), no congestion just coughing and drainage. First trip to GP got z pack and cough meds with coedine, Next trip 5 days later getting worse worried about band gave me inhaler and a different antibiotic, Last weekend started coughing fits and started like dry heaves in middle of cough and it felt like airway collapsed takes me some time to get inhale/exhale stablized (scary)

Called GP again couldn't get me in until Tuesday. Called my surgeon about concern of dry heaves during cough...gave technical medical name (sorry reception gave me this message and said it was something very young children sometimes get and occassionally adults can get it) Asked if anything comes up when coughing? (No) Asked if food and liquid staying down? (Yes) Said to get with GP ask for cough med with coedine. Did and got a refill. At Tuesdays appointment was put on Prednisone for 10 days ....continue inhaler, antibiotics, cough meds. Called surgeon he said okay for 10 days but add 2 pepcid with Prednisone and 2 pepcid at bedtime.

Yesterday had less coughing fits but today it is worse again - drainage thicker and more - more fits. Still no fever. I'm calling surgeon tomorrow to see if he can recommend another doctor for 2nd opinion or see me himself. I'm so concerned over my lapband? Surgeon said he would not be able to tell until after cough has stopped whether there was any problems with band.

This all started 4 days after 1st fill...I don't think I had any problems keeping everything down and never hungry.

Really concerned and frustrated .... any ideas?

Delsym Cough suppressant works really well. I've got it on hand for cold season. (I "like" the orange flavor, haven't tried the grape flavor yet.)

I've been sick for a week now and have been VERY tight. My cold is a lot of sinus stuff w/draining (sorry). I'd had a fill a couple of days before getting sick but was doing fine til coming down with the cold. We'll see what happens when this thing finally goes away!

Sorry everyone is feeling so bad,but glad I'm not alone.This is my second bout being sick in the last month.First strep throat took 5 days antibiotics(tore up my stomach) finally felt better after like a week and a half only to get sick again 3 days ago with horrible cough & congestion! I too have been coughing so much it hurts and is sore.:ohmy:

Then I got a fill on Wed w/o even thinking it could make things worse! Oh boy.......I've been miserable & hurting for 2 days.It's very tight and my whole neck,shoulders,chest,abdomen & tummy are sore.Plus I'm still coughing!

I'm trying to wait it out but I'm sure not feeling well.......:thumbdown:I think I;ll call my Doc tomorrow to see what she suggest's...............

I don't think coughing alone can cause any kind of band slippage. Vomiting is bad because it is forcing intense pressure up through a very small opening, but coughing is not forcing food up or down through your stomach. I think you can feel sore afterwards but that should be all.

I definitely agree with finding a good cough suppresant to give you a little relief. I really like sucrets better than anything else to help eliminate the urge to cough. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the suggestions...will will try them. Had a fairly decent night sleep last night...this morning got up ate Breakfast was up about an hour and then feel asleep until my husband woke me for lunch....this is really good for daily exercise!!!*?:frown:

After the nap felt a little better only had two bad coughing fits the others I could handle.

Heather, thanks for the encouragement about not hurting the band .... it's making me feel a little better.

Hope all stay healthy and/or get feeling better!

Deb

Highest lifetime wt. 386

1st visit to dr. 376

Surgery day 343

Today 312.5

I have had something since 1-22-09, It's weird - no fever, does not feel like it's in lungs (confirmed with chest xray 2-10-09), no congestion just coughing and drainage. First trip to GP got z pack and cough meds with coedine, Next trip 5 days later getting worse worried about band gave me inhaler and a different antibiotic, Last weekend started coughing fits and started like dry heaves in middle of cough and it felt like airway collapsed takes me some time to get inhale/exhale stablized (scary)

Called GP again couldn't get me in until Tuesday. Called my surgeon about concern of dry heaves during cough...gave technical medical name (sorry reception gave me this message and said it was something very young children sometimes get and occassionally adults can get it) Asked if anything comes up when coughing? (No) Asked if food and liquid staying down? (Yes) Said to get with GP ask for cough med with coedine. Did and got a refill. At Tuesdays appointment was put on Prednisone for 10 days ....continue inhaler, antibiotics, cough meds. Called surgeon he said okay for 10 days but add 2 pepcid with Prednisone and 2 pepcid at bedtime.

Yesterday had less coughing fits but today it is worse again - drainage thicker and more - more fits. Still no fever. I'm calling surgeon tomorrow to see if he can recommend another doctor for 2nd opinion or see me himself. I'm so concerned over my lapband? Surgeon said he would not be able to tell until after cough has stopped whether there was any problems with band.

This all started 4 days after 1st fill...I don't think I had any problems keeping everything down and never hungry.

Really concerned and frustrated .... any ideas?

Just wondering ...but have they tested you for pertussis/Whooping cough? I had it a few years ago and it sounds alot like what you are describing..i would ask your doc to check it out if they havent already because if you do have it it takes a certain antibiotic and several weeks to get over...just a thought

You may be right...I'm a teacher and there has been a confirmed case of Whooping cough of a brother of one of my students...I let the doctor know and that is when he gave me the z pack. They have never tested me for it though. I think I'm ready to change GP. I will get with a doctor and have them test for this ... it has been going on for way too long.

Thanks for listening and helping me figure out what I need to do.

Deb

I hope you all feel better and also I wanted to share what the nurse recommended me, if you had a lot of phlegm, take a little pineapple or apple juice before you eat, that help to break the mucus and the food is not get stuck in the band, and make you vomit, I did it and it really helped me a lot, I hope this can help you too...:thumbup:

For two days I've had a persistent cough due to cold, I constantly asked if the cough can cause band slipage or damage to my band. I'm afraid that cold affect my band...:thumbup:

Negative ghost rider. 6 days after my surgery I got a horrible cough. I went to my lapband doctor for my first checkup a few days after my cough developed and I asked him if I coughed hard enough...could it hurt my band.

He said not at all. The cough comes from you lungs. :rose: