Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is going to sound silly, but I am going through a Mardi Gras type of phase where I feel like I really need to eat anything and everything I might miss after I am banded next month. What do you miss the most? What do you wish you had gotten one last bite of that you can't really have now?

It IS silly. Odds are you'll be able to eat anything. I have pretty good restriction and I had a hot dog with bun (a high Fiber no sugar bun, but a bun) for supper.

Some people are so tight they can't eat things, some people chew too fast or take bites too large. There are some people who just have some things that are hard to eat (I don't mean everyone who has a black list food is wolfing it down or too tight) but many many people can choose just about anything. I have good restriction but am not quite in the green zone (can eat about 1 1/2 cups of food...get hungry a little soon) but I haven't found anything I can't eat.

Not to hijack your thread, either...but except for carbonation (which I can have, but it hurts and isn't worth it) nothing's off limits to me. Many other posters may choose not to eat certain foods, but that doesn't mean they can't, should the desire arise.

Once you're healed and past "bandster hell" (that period when the doc lets you reintroduce food) ... you may be able to eat anything too. So don't be blue! :thumbup:

I wish I would have had one more coke or some sort of soda -- maybe a rootbeer

but I do take an occasional sip of a soda -- just to remember

and it is not to bad to not have sodas

I have gotten used to not drinking much during eating-

I will take a sip now and then-

maybe I would have gone to one more buffett-

no reason to go now

I did that too! You think about all the stuff you think you won't be able to eat...and so you want to get it.

I really used to love a big tub of popcorn at the movies. Sure, I guess I could have some popcorn now, but I don't choose to. I do miss it when I think about it.

I do miss soda too, but when I took a sip, it hurt, and the pain is not worth it.

Some times just a bite of something is enough to satisfy your missing it. I tell you though, everyone calls it bandster hell, the post-op period, but the time really passes quickly. I had the whole month marked out on my calendar, and before I knew it, I was back to eating normally and never felt deprived the whole time because I wasn't really that hungry the whole month. Enjoy yourself now, but don't worry, your "Lent" won't feel like very long.

I wish you a smooth surgery and recovery!!! Take care!

I think you're going through Last Supper Syndrome. I went through it, also. I felt like I would never be able to eat certain things again. Here I am, 5 months out and I can eat almost anything (no buns/uncooked bread) with limitation. I eat very small helpings. I've had a lot of success and am down 54 pounds. At this point, I'm plateauing so I'm thinking I need another fill and to up my exercise. Good luck to you!

I did that too. I had no pre op diet so it was like "what the heck" may as well :thumbdown:

The stuff I think about is really bad/stupid...cookie dough/cake batter/brownies...I love that kind of stuff. The whole reaon I ever wanted to bake was for the pre fun of eating it raw.

I do miss sodas sometimes, and am getting SUPER tired of water/crystal light.

My favorite last meal food was a pazzokie, its freshly baked soft Cookies topped with ice cream.

Man...I really was a bad eater...no wonder I am in this position :rolleyes:

Anyways, 4 weeks post op and I have only had 1 bite of ice cream cake and 1 bite of a banana dipped in choc. fondue.

Thanks you guys. I'm really not blue. I am kind of laughing about it, actually. I have not really allowed myself to eat stuff like "real" candy or those forbidden foods for many, many years. My weight gain has related to overeating, but it has usually been healthier foods. Not that it makes a difference, though. My BMI is around 36, and I have the disabling health problems nonetheless. I guess I feel like I have struggled with the urges, fighting them daily for so long. Now that things are going to change, maybe I can just relax for a minute and have that Milky Way bar. :rolleyes: I think dinner tonight will be a Malibu and Coke, some uncooked bread, some popcorn, and a grilled chicken salad.

I will enjoy these on your behalf, and when I'm on the flip-side, I'll feel like I've said my last goodbyes properly.:thumbdown:

Man...I really was a bad eater...no wonder I am in this position :thumbdown:

Anyways, 4 weeks post op and I have only had 1 bite of ice cream cake and 1 bite of a banana dipped in choc. fondue.

Isn't it great how the band helps you see your former self in all that truthful light? I mean, I didn't think I used to eat much, but then realized how big my portions actually were. I also didn't think I ate stuff that was that bad, but then realized eating uncooked cookie dough was probably not very good! ha ha ha ha

It sounds like you are doing good already at four weeks post op. I hope you continue learning more about yourself.

I will enjoy these on your behalf, and when I'm on the flip-side, I'll feel like I've said my last goodbyes properly.:rolleyes:

Hey, could you also have a Mountain Dew Baja Blast from Taco Bell for me, or some really thick garlic bread with cheese on it? ha ha ha ha

Enjoy your "last meals"!! :thumbdown:

I will enjoy these on your behalf, and when I'm on the flip-side, I'll feel like I've said my last goodbyes properly.:thumbdown:

Ok but don't enjoy it on my behalf! :rolleyes: My point is I can (and sometimes do) HAVE these foods, without guilt.

I had popcorn the other night while watching a movie. Mostly we CAN have what we want. This isn't an enforced diet so much as a true new lifestyle.

Ok but don't enjoy it on my behalf! :thumbdown: My point is I can (and sometimes do) HAVE these foods, without guilt.

I think you and I just have different personalities, or maybe it's my sense of humor that doesn't come across. I don't have any guilt whatsoever. I also don't intend to engage in eating habits that I've usually avoided once I have the band. I plan on making an even stronger effort to only eat foods that will make me stronger once I am banded. Mostly, that has been my pattern all along, but I have eaten way too much. For example, I haven't eaten "real" mayo in years. I drink non-fat milk, use spray butter, etc. Likely, I've been in denial about portion sizes and just kind of felt sorry for myself that I've (IMHO) made good food choices and worked out hard (I made qualifying time on a two mile run just a couple of years back), but am still struggling with being overweight.

About the Last Supper thing...It's just kind of funny to me that once I realized that this was a done deal, I decided on one last hurrah. :rolleyes:

Surely we are all different! :thumbdown:

I guess from my personal experience, being obese used to be considered a character flaw and many people have guilt or other issues, especially those of us who gain enough that we need surgery to help correct it. HOWEVER! I don't like lumping people together...so I do apologize that I read into your post instead of reading your post! There are people who read your posts who are different from both of us, too (I know you know this LOL) and just want to make sure to reiterate that we are all in control. I almost didn't get the band because I don't like the word "NEVER' as in you can NEVER have bread again...so because I have that facet, and I know other people share it, I think I beat a dead horse (and am still beating it, aren't I LOL) about how truly flexible the band is. So I'll leave the horse alone now! :rolleyes:

Enjoy your last meals!

Oh, yeah. I totally agree about the NEVER thing. It's not healthy emotionally, and it's not realistic.

I don't think of obesity as being a character flaw. Here's my .02 on the American diet. I think that we are asked to deal with a problem that is multidimensional and is far too complex to be blamed on an individual. If it weren't, all of those attempts at weight loss that we tried before would have worked.

For example, the introduction of food sources to groups who have developed different genetic patterns is one factor. Some of us are genetically wired to eat deer meat and acorn mush--not McD's. I think having lived through/being raised by folks who lived through the Great Depression is another factor. This generation quite literally watched their countrymen starve to death, and responsibly taught us to not "waste" food. I think the "bigger is better" notion of our culture contributed greatly to the increased portion sizes. The fast food industry is documented to have had significant impact on the increase in portion sizes, starting with that one restaurant that begins with a W, and through competition spreading to the others. The trend rippled through our lives until even in the school cafeteria, we were taught to over eat. No wonder we don't feel full. We were taught not to. Another issue, despite the claims of the recent advertising campaign they've launched, is the use of corn Syrup. It's true that it is no different than sugar, nutritionally. The problem is that it was added to EVERYTHING, and since it didn't just say SUGAR on the label, people were unaware for a long time that their salad dressing had added sugar.

I can go on, and likely some will hope that I don't. My point in all of this is that we don't have to blame ourselves for this. It's bigger than we are. I hope any of you who happen across this thread is able to put the guilt down and leave it. Another aspect of our culture is that we value independence. The downside of that is that we are sometimes tricked into taking personal responsibility for a problem that, as in this case, is system wide.

Here's to finally having a little help in beating that system! I can't wait until March 10!

I agree about the whole NEVER eating certain things again. I asked my surgeon how many of her patients have trouble with bread. Her response was "All of them. I make them tight enough so they can't eat bread". I walked out of there, looked at my mom and I said there is no way she is tightening me to the point where I CAN'T eat something. My mom, having had gastric bypass by the same surgeon, totally understood that. My problem was never so much with what I ate but how much I was eating. I didn't stop at full, I stopped at stuffed. Hopefully with the band I won't be able to do that.