Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding the Energy?

Hi Everyone,

I hope this doesn't make me look like a complete fool but I hope maybe someone can offer some good advice.

I had surgery about 8 months ago and have barely lost much of anything despite reducing my caloric intake to 600-1000 and fat to no more than 12-18g per day. I know my problem is lack of exercise. But while I know I need to exercise more I find that I cannot drum up the energy. By the end of the day its all I can do to take a shower before bed time.

I've had thyroid tests done several times (thyroid problems run in the family) and every time the docs end up doing two because the first one is slightly below normal and the second one apparently comes back ok. I am really at a loss and very fustrated.

Well, eating that little and virtually no fat, I dont find it suprising that you dont have any energy!

You need to eat to fuel exercise, and personally, I need to eat carbs. I cant function without a serve of something wholegrain once or twice a day. High Protein low carb makes me feel like a wrung out dishrag.

I ate about 1500 calories a day while losing and that was enough to fuel me to run for an hour most days. I ate from all food groups.

Even so, exercise at first drains you, but as you get fitter and the weigh shifts, you find your energy increased, at first you have to force yoruself a bit. But I always find no matter how tired I am, I feel better after exercise unless its real my body needs a day off kind of tired, which I get as I work very hard with running ahd circuit training.

Tired after work though, its hard, but if you do it, you'll feel better and eventually you wont be so tired in the first place.

I think there are a few questions you should ask yourself:

1) Did this lack of energy begin before or after the surgery?

2) Are there specific periods of the day where you feel the energy increases or decreases?

3) Are you getting enough sleep?

4) Are you eating enough Protein?

Question 1 is incredibly important. If you had the same lack of energy pre-surgery that you have post-surgery, the issue probably isn’t actually caused by your dietary changes. Understand, of course, your caloric intake is very low and probably isn’t helping things.

I have had a hypothyroid condition since birth that went undiagnosed because most doctors considered my thyroid within ‘normal’ ranges. After being put on meds, my energy levels shot through the roof and my metabolism also improved. Depending on the doctor and the scenario, your thyroid might be considered ‘normal’ and still be quite low. If you have reason to believe that you may have a thyroid condition, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

If the issue occurred post-surgery, chances are it’s not your thyroid.

Something else to consider – how is your Vitamin intake? Your Iron levels? Are you anemic?

Question 2 is more based on what you eat, when you eat it. Most people begin to become very tired mid-afternoon (between 3 and 5 PM). This is because their body is telling them to refuel (eat / snack / digest things). Are you ‘refueling’ properly? If not, try to make sure you get a powerful lunch or, if that’s not possible, take a moment to refuel around 2 PM or so. Obviously you can’t eat very much, but eating some healthy yogurt or downing a Protein shake will go a long way to give you a little boost of energy before dinner.

Question 3 is pretty obvious. No sleep = no energy. The average person needs 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Are you getting this? Do you have sleep problems? Do you find yourself waking up frequently during the night? This could be a symptom of a more serious issue- sleep apnea, insomnia, or even narcolepsy (there are types of narcolepsy that don’t involve falling asleep at random places)

Question 4 is probably the same question your surgeon would ask if you came to him/her with your concerns. Are you getting enough Protein? Basically, you should be getting somewhere around 50 – 60 grams a day (Please correct me if I’m wrong). Make sure you’re getting enough. Eat it if you can, but if you can’t – drink it! Do whatever it takes to make sure this happens- it’s crucial in any attempt to exercise. Not only does it impact your energy levels but it also repairs muscles (something I learned the hard way).

Good luck! I hope I was able to help.

On that note too - the point about sleep is a good one.

I noticed that once i had lost some weight, the quality of my sleep improved enormously. I hadnt realised how badly I was sleeping when I was heavy, I'd half wake many times a night with discomfort through the hips and shoulders (I'm a side sleeper) reminiscent of trying to sleep when you're 9 months pregnant. As that went away, i found my energy levels climbing becuase I was actually getting a good nights' sleep.

My surgery was 4 mos ago I am just now feeling like I have some energy. Take your vitamines and make sure you are eating your protien. I am at the hair thinning stage but I have lost almost 40lbs. good luck and keep the faith

Yes, you have to force yourself at first. I'm on midnight shift this week and naturally feel like hell, but I made myself get on that treadmill tonight, even though I had no daycare today and only got 3 hrs of sleep while 2yo took his afternoon nap. Yes to all the previous posts, re-evaluate your eating. See where you could improve, this is an opportunity to re learn a healthy lifestyle. When I'm on day shift I force myself up at 5am to get my half hour in every morning. It helps me get through the whole day feeling more alert and energized. I would never think of exercising before bed though, I would never get to sleep.

Thanks everyone. I am going to try and change a few things around and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

I struggle with the exercise too. I just watched a youtube video from Dr. Connie Stapleton- she counsels bariatric patients on life after surgery. One of the things she talks about is exercise and making it part of your life. She says just accept it may be something you will never enjoy, but that you simply have to do, like getting up early for work, or brushing your teeth. So.. I've been trying to implement that into my life, and telling myself that it is just something I do. Some days it works.. some days it doesnt.

I wish I had a magic secret to report that makes exercise easier! This thread had some good suggestions though, I'll definitely be trying some of these things myself.