Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Confused..Optifast?

Hi I'm Rae from Adelaide in South Australia.

I am having my lapband surgery on Feb 19 and am currently doing the Optifast 2 week stage and am really confused about what you can eat during this time. I was wondering if there is anyone else on this stage that can give me a clue?

I am going by what the doctors have given me re the optifast stage which includes being able to have the shakes with berries or banana, and having either fish or chicken plus salad and vegetables. But how much are you supposed to eat with the shakes? Because while I'm not having any cravings for anything, I am finding that I am starving all the time. And I have medication for diabetes and I am experience the 'shakes' all the time, ala hypoglycemic episodes, something I have not really had in a long time. Had it so bad the other night I had to eat some bread and then later that night threw it up which is always nice :|

Anyway, look forward to some good advise re the optifast stage.

Not yet, will give them a ring on Monday, I was just hoping someone might have some insight while I wait to speak to them. Its all so confusing!

Hello Vonkrum, When I was in my pre op diet I had for Breakfast 2 eggs as the protien and sometime added some mushrooms if you like them say about half a cup - you can eat any most green vegs eg califlower, Beans, brocile, Cabbage you are allowed two cups in total for lunch and dinner of them you are allowed lean mean 100grams, Fish and chicken with the skin off 120gram or prawns unshelled 150grams, tuna in spring Water 120grams you can have that for lunch and dinner I had for lunch champion mushrooms 4 off them a couple of asparcus slice of cheese not processed I found cracker barrel was the best cucumber and only had the Optifast if I was hungry as a snack and you will do well I did another thing I did cooked was a stuffed capscium coz you are not allowed alot of things in makes it hard to make anything to interesting I just fried up onion garlic italian herb Tomato in the tin and mince and take put that all after it is cooked that put it in the empty capscium and fill the pot half way up the capscium and takes about 20 mins to 30min it is very nice and very filling I steamed my fish with my vegs as you can not have any bread crumbs please coz of you are not allowed any carbs if you want to know anymore and if I can help you please contact me again GOOD LUCK!!!! Cheers Tanya Aussie

Edited by 15 Sept 2008
Mistakes

Thanks Tanya that's good info. I made myself some vegetable Soup, as the doctors guidelines say you can have that. I am having the Optifast 3 times a day still and today is the first day I have not felt hungry. Anyway I am 5 days in and counting!