Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 11 is my surgery date

Hi all,

Just found out Friday that 3/11/09 is the date of my surgery. I will go on the liver reduce diet on 2/25/09. I am really nervous about it. I know this will be start of a new chapter. I have been waiting awhile for this. Just hope I can do everything that I need to do.

Fergwood

Hi! Glad to know that people all over are going in for this. I'm wondering how open you've been about the surgery with your friends and family. I've told my husband and son of course, but haven't told any other friends and family. Is it because I'm ashamed to have to do it? Maybe a little. I heard someone say that it was "taking the easy way out." I don't feel that way! I've lost so many pounds only to always gain them back. I really hope this will be my last battle with weight loss.

Hi

I have been open about it. I've have told my friends and also the people I work with. I do know that couple of people do not approve but at least they are still being supported. I agree with you this is not the "easy way out" I have loss weight alot and gain it all back and plus. With you I hope this will be my last battle. NO I know it will. Keep a postive about it. It wont be easy but I know I am worth it.

Take care,

Fergwood

:thumbup:My date is 3/9 and I am only telling my husband and kids. I am not ashamed of my decision, I am just not worried about other folks opinions. Not even the family, I'm doing this because at 51 and many medical issues to include feet that scream on the daily; I go forth on my own. I will not deny what I will do, but I don't want people to watch to see what is happening. I don't give up, and I'm not looking for easy, I want and need success.

Edited by niterun

I am 57 and I too have medical issues too. The reason I told the people I work with and friends is that they will be my support. Alot of them are really happy I am doing this and will help me if I need it.

fergwood

Well, I am 56 and have several co-morbidities, including severe sleep apnea. So many people, especially younger people, think that it's just a matter of diet and exercise and you'll lose weight. I even used to think that. However, it's different when you're post-menopausal and post-hysterectomy with no metabolism. It IS more difficult! I wish I could count on more support from my extended family.

Laweezmi

You are so right alot of younger people think you just have to diet and exercise. They don't understand when you get older the body changes and it is not as easy to exercise. When I was going the pre testing I found out that i had severe sleep apnea. I didn't think it was that bad. Then found out I also had heart murmur. This isn't counting the stuff I already knew. But I am glad I have made the decision to do this. I want a better life then the way I am and the way I am going.

fergwood

Fergwood- I agree with you. I am one of those "younger" people and it is so true. I have told my husband and my mother (my kids are too young to know) and I told one friend, and have since regretted it. She acted supportive but some of the things she said were to the contrary. I thought she would get it, she is overweight too and we have talked about weight loss together. I think it was more about the money though, even though I just have my deducatble and a fee of $191 to pay, they are really broke and I think it was more about me "wasting" that money. I am only 24 and I feel older, things that should be easy, aren't. I want to get healthy now so that I can be healthy for my kids.

So those are the only people I have told, maybe after I have it I will tell more, I'm not sure yet though.

Anyway, yeah, thats my take :lol:

Hi I get banded on March 11th too. I have told some people. My family is supportive. I told a friend i only see a couple of times a year thinking she would be safe to tell. Would you believe she asked me to come visit her (a 5hr drive) and stay a few days, and then she said... so she could see how big i was now and then how i look when i loose it. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, but there was no way i was coming up to feel on display, especially being over weight! Please, i think i was too shocked to say anything.

I found this website yesterday because i really need to keep my mind active and off the fact i feel like i am starving right now. Plus it helps that just about everyone understands. 11 days to go and i just want it over and done with i hate feeling hungry all the time.

Hi all. First, having this surgery was your decision and your decision alone. Therefore, you shouldn't feel you need to tell others or feel bad when you do or don't tell friends/family. Second, when you tell people, you should understand why you are sharing this personal information. I personally have told many friends (I'm 26). My family has close family friends and I have told my parents not to tell them yet. So far, the people I know have been supportive. All have asked what should I do to help you which I thought was incredible. I started the pre-op diet yesterday and my friends have been great about not eating in front of me or eating something similar (i.e. they have a smoothie when I am having one of my Protein Shakes or they eat something they know I don't like like Peanut Butter or bananas). I guess I'm a lucky one. I have found this site incredible in calming my fears and keeping me excited about my decision. I'm counting down the days until my surgery on March 12 (13 days!). If anyone wants a lap-band buddy to share their journey with I would love to help in any way I can. Feel free to contact me by email at rsfnyc333@yahoo.com or on here. Oh, I live in NYC.

I am on my 5th day of liquid diet except for dinner which I can have a frozen diet dinner. I am not doing to bad so far I have lost 12 pounds. I have told the people I work with about it and they are supported. But there is always the few that say stuff that isnt nice. Also, I've had a few that say they will keep a watch on me to see the results.