Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

girls night out

i have a girls night planned tonight (movie and drinks) and I am a flurry of emotion...I feel embarassed I can't partake b/c I was so overweight that I had to have surgery and can't have a drink with friends, happy that I won't drink too much, eat too much and feel like crap in the morning, sad because I really could use a drink today (:confused:) and excited that in a few months, I will be able to handle this much more maturely...Agh!!

I love my girls day/night out. We having been doing this for over a year and it is a monthly ritual that no one or anything comes between.

I had my surgery in November and girls night out was the first week in December. And you better believe I was so there for it. Did I drink, no. Did I eat food, yes, but it was very limited.

Part of girls day/night is the sharing of life; our joys, failures, tears, and laughter...and really who needs food and alcohol to do that? All you need is you Best Girl Friends BGF.

Can we not drink alcohol, or shouldn't drink?? I don't remember my doc saying anything about it. I know I probably shouldn't due to calories. But should we not for other reasons?? I have a girls trip planned to New Orleans at the end of the month, I was planning tossing back a few!

And I understand your embaressment, I feel the same way, which is the reason I haven't told everyone I had the surgery.

The girls in my group are super supportive. They all understand my choice and help me along...even offer to give me a shot in a thimble!!! Don't be so hard on yourself. If these girls are your close friends then they just want your company, regardless of alcohol!

I've been part of a monthly girls night with the same group for over 20 years now

a few days after surgery is probably pushing it a bit, I think I'd sit it out too. but dont worry, you'll be back to enjoying it in your new, moderate manner very soon.

Can we not drink alcohol, or shouldn't drink?? I don't remember my doc saying anything about it. I know I probably shouldn't due to calories. But should we not for other reasons?? I have a girls trip planned to New Orleans at the end of the month, I was planning tossing back a few!

And I understand your embaressment, I feel the same way, which is the reason I haven't told everyone I had the surgery.

My girlfriends do not know I was banded. They know I am training for a marathon, which is causing me to make healthy food choices and not drink alcohol, which is all true.

It is always best to talk to your doctor about what you can or cannot consume. My doctor asks that we limit our consumption of it, because it is empty calories. Personally, 4 ounces of wine puts me under the table now. I am a total light weight now.

At one of the info nights I attended, the question of alcohol came up. Whislt alcohol is empty calories, my surgeon said that overall, moderate wine consumers tend to lose better than total non drinkers. Moderate means 3 or 4 standard drinks a week.

Maybe its a whole set of characteristics - if you drink wine moderately (it does have recognised health benefits) perhaps you also have other healthy practices and perhaps you are also good at practicing moderation in all things. I dont think he was suggesting that the wine itself is magic.

But cocktails etc ugh, stay far away.

I recently went to Las Vegas and I had a drink or two. I asked when I was in for my last fill and they said - NO beer or carbonated beverages. Wine or fruit juice drinks (OJ, cranberry, etc.) were ok - but of course - in moderation. I did notice that I felt them much faster. Guess that makes me a cheap date, right? I do agree that you probably should wait until the healing process is complete. And like always - you should check with your doctor. Focus on the fun, and the girls, and have fun!! Becky

I made it!! I am now home, tired but sober...It is amazing how much time (and calories) I spent on my social life--Coming home late, smelling of smoke and sleeping half of the next day used to sound like a normal girls night, but tonight was different and I kinda liked it!:cursing: Not to say that I will never drink again, but tonight showed me that my life isn't going to end if I don't partake with my girlfriends. Thanks for the support! :)