Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get a fill or not?

Ok, I didn't do so well over the holidays and I am really starting to feel like a faliure. I havn't lost anything in over a month. Part of that is my fault, I have been eating a lot of junk food and not exercising. I admit that I used the holidays as an excuse to eat. I didn't gain any weight over the holidays, but I didn't lose any either. Now I am wondering if I need a fill or if I should just wait it out. I still have pretty good restriction in the mornings, but in the evenings I feel like I don't have much restriction at all. It is confusing to know if I need a fill because junk food goes down so easy and that is what I have mostly been eating. I did much better today however, I started with my Protein first and then ate a few veggies. I got full pretty fast and I haven't gotten hungry. So I am confused. I think the fill would help get me back on track, but I don't want to get one if I don't really need it. I am very depressed and down on myself right now, so please help me!

Carrie, we're only human, and we all make mistakes. I was one who didn't get good restriction until my band was tippy top full, and I only got there the first of Jan (banded in Sep). Although, I measured my food to keep from overeating, I could have easily not stopped. Now, the band is giving me a clear STOP at 1/2 cup of food, which is where my doctor wants me to be. If your band is putting a stop to over indulging, it seems like you may not want to get more restriction, or you could risk getting too tight. However, leaving off the junk food, which it sounds like you're determined to do, I would measure for a few days, record your meals and times of hunger, and go from there. Whatever you decide, do not get down on yourself.

Edited by kiz

Thanks, I think I will try that. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for a fill, but I can cancel it if I feel like I don't need it. The reason I am scared to get a fill is because the last 2 I got were too tight and I had to go back and get some taken out. I couldn't even drink Water. It was horrible. So I don't want that again.

Junk food is going to go down easily. Since you find that you get full quickly and stay satisfied when you eat Protein and veggies, I would not recommend a fill. One thing you might want to do though, if you feel you need some help to regain control, is try the 5 Day Pouch Test at Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Also, check out this thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/starting-holiday-detox-early-anyone-wanna-join-me-84070/ You are definitely not alone in falling off the wagon on the holidays, but the Pouch Test has worked wonders for many of us!

I don't think another they could squeeze another drop of saline in my band, and I still don't get that kind of restriction. Having that kind of episode with Water must have been very scary. I hope you find you're restriction is fine, and you just need to dump the junk. I had to get my kids' Christmas candy out of sight, because it was calling my name.

Yes, not being able to drink Water was scary. My emotions were also so messed up from not having any nutrition, I felt like a crying mess.

I have heard of this pouch test. Does it really work?

It has, for many people. It's just a tool to help get back in control, and for many of us that means backing off the carbs. I just did the first two days and lost 5 pounds....(results not typical..your experience may vary) lol

This is such a hard one to nut out, I've struggled with it too, but what I've learned is that you MUST guage your restriction by what healthy food you can eat.

But you've answered your own question - if you're wider open at night, what happens if you eat a moderate sized meal - forget the half cup stuff, if you're eating a serve and it doesnt make you overfull, the you're not stretching anything out. So a good 400 calorie dinner of lean meat, vegies and perhaps a starch - how does that go down? Because you want to be able to eat in the morning too, you'll lose weight better and manage hunger better with a good Breakfast every day.

Forget the junk food, there is NO level of fill that will prevent you eating some form of rubbish. But get too tight and you will come to rely on it.

What are your serving sizes when you do this? If they're a cup or more, then there's probably room for a fill, if they're half a cup and you're full, well you'd want to think about whether you really want a fill.

Why not make a pact to yourself to really stick with it for 2 weeks (healthy choices, but eating however much it takes to fill you up, meals AND snacks) and judge a) how hard you find it and :) whether you lose weight.

If its taking tons of willpower and the weight loss is disappointing then have another fill. But only YOU can stop yourself making poor food choices.

Junk food, no matter how tight you are, is going to find it's way down.

You can do this! Everyone has given you great advice, and you know can overcome this little patch of uncertainty. Just look at how you have already lost close to 40 pounds!! This is just a small bump in the road, you are not a failure. I hope you are feeling better soon and back to being focused, motivated, and confident about your progress.

Take care!

Sometimes more fills can cause lack of loss or even gain if you are not eating the right things. You can be so tight that you can only eat junk food while having an inability to eat anything else.

You have two weeks so that is plenty of time to decide. Just back off the junk food completely and go back to banding basics, lean Proteins followed by veggies and healthy carbs with the remaining space you have left.

It is hard to get off junk food if you are in the habit of eating it, but it gets progressively easier. Day 1 is hell, day 2 is rough . . . but by day 4 it is not so bad and it is easy to continue from there.

Then, if you are following the rules and are getting physically hungry between meals or can eat large quantities, then consider the fill. You can also get a teeny tiny fill that is easier on you like .1 or .25 cc's. The closer you are to your sweet spot, the less fill you need to make a big difference.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone! It has just been really hard because I had surgery in May and I feel like I should have lost a lot more by now. That's what gets me depressed.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice. I have been following the band rules now and laying off the junk since I posted and I have decided that I do need a small fill, so I am going in Moday. I just hope it's not too tight like my last 2 have been.