Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 1 week Post-op !

Hi All,

Lap Band journey details on my blog ......all are invited to join as a follower !

"The Sweet Spot" Karen's Lap Band Journey

Wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for all the great information everyone has posted. Helped me understand what to expect before, during and after surgery.

Wish everyone the best on their own journey !

Karen,,im freaking out reading your profile, we were banded the same day,went to surgery the same time,, went to hospital same time, got released same time, im a cancer,my x-wife name karen,,im was doing my lapband surgery for a 50 old birthday present for me, thinking it would take app2 years to get where i want to be,, the list goes on all the little things being the same....Good luck with your journey. i think we should have a special bond,,,eddie

Karen, it was really nice to read your blog! You sound like you are doing really well! I will be banded on Feb. 18th!! Im nervous but very excited. I was wondering if you could help me with a list of things to buy that are good to have on hand for surgery day and after. The info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hey Me too

I was banded on friday the 30th of Jan. and I'm still trying to get use to my new life.

Well i think we should form our own little band,,heheheh own little group, january 30th banders unite. I feel like a new man already..my email is shineyhiney@cableone.net..

Hi! well as of right now I am 1 week post-op. I was banded Jan 30 and in surgery from 9:40 till 10:07. I am having a hard time with still being on an all liquid diet. Any suggestions? :confused:

Hi! well as of right now I am 1 week post-op. I was banded Jan 30 and in surgery from 9:40 till 10:07. I am having a hard time with still being on an all liquid diet. Any suggestions? :)

Hi Kimmie79,

Congrats on your surgery ! Hope all is going well "band-mate". Depends on if your Dr still wants you on Clear liquids or if you can have creamy Soups too.

Sticking to the pre-diet was harder on me than it has been after surgery....I was so hungry before surgery. Now I sip on lots of Water (Fruit2O), sugar free Jell-O, Protein shakes (prefer Muscle Milk lite), Soup broths, and a wide variety of popsicles, warm tea & coffee. After few days I could add 1/4 cup of cream Soups once a day (like heaven), but the only brand allowed was Trader Joe's (a health food type of store) because their soups are very low in carbs. See if you have one any where near you....I LOVE the Tomato roasted red pepper Soup !

Getting my Protein in was tough after surgery....because I got to where I couldn't tolerate the Protein Shakes any more.

My Dr just recommended "Isopure" -a liquid Protein Drink (40G per bottle) to keep my protein up. However, I Water down the Isopure to 1/2 strength however because I don't like the smell of protein. I also use 1/2 scoop of unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder in coffee twice a day as well.

After my post-op check up yesterday, the Dr said I could also add 1 very small "mushie" meal a day. I had less than 1/4 cup "smashed" cottage cheese last night, very slowly, and this morning I was a little nauseous. So tonight I am going to try a little mashed potatoes, but have to add Protein Powder when making them to balance out the carbs.

Basically, every time I eat or drink a carb, I have to have a protein as well.

Hope this helps!

Love to hear if anyone else has suggestions. :cursing:

Karen, it was really nice to read your blog! You sound like you are doing really well! I will be banded on Feb. 18th!! Im nervous but very excited. I was wondering if you could help me with a list of things to buy that are good to have on hand for surgery day and after. The info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi tiffanygrace,

Good luck with your upcoming surgery ! It will be so worth it.

Let's see....the only thing I wish I had on the day of surgery was lip balm. In the hospital, after surgery I could only take small sips of Water, and my lips were very dry. Lip balm would have helped a great deal. :cursing:

COMFORT

- Get any prescriptions filled that your Dr gives you, don't hesitate to take them !

- Be prepared to sit up or in a recliner for a while (maybe even the first few nights).

- Have a pillow nearby to hold tight against your tummy if you have to sneeze or cough.

- After surgery take very deep breaths often.

EATING

- The baby spoon has really helped me slow down my eating once I was able to start back on Soups. Have a baby fork too, that I'll be using shortly.

- Have plently of Water available to sip on to stay hydrated. I like the Fruit2O.

- Warm Decaf tea (no hot or cold drinks).

- Ice pops were a favorite. I kept different brands in so I didn't feel i was eating the same thing all the time.

- Jell-O was OK (let it melt in your melt first before swallowing ! )

- There is a Danon Lite & Fit yogurt called Carb Control that has 5 G Protein & only 3 G carbs. found it at Wal-Mart. So much less carbs than regular yogurt. Small portions too, which is great for post surgery.

- When your Dr says it's OK. start getting your Protein intake back up ASAP.

- I got so tired of Protein shakes, my Dr just recommended Isopure....it's protein water (zero carbs). I need to water it down however because I really don't like the smell of any protein liquid. But 1 bottle a day adds 40 G of protein a day !

That is all I can think of for now.

Good luck, keep me posted on how you are doing !!!

tiffanygrace,

A few more additions to my previous post...

Please clear with your Dr first !

- Gax-G strips - helped with gas, thankfully I never had discomfort

- Liquid Vitamins

- Calcium Chews

- Biotin - (don't need right after surgery) helps prevent hair loss when Protein intake is low