Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to work out!

Hey everyone! I had surgery on 1/16 so I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I'm doing great so far, I've lost 31 lbs:thumbup: (that's including the 10lbs I lost in the week before doing my pre-op diet) and I'm not having any struggles with food. I feel great and only am experiencing slight pain in my port area. Only 2 things I can complain about... 1. I'm a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my back has been hard but I'm dealing... 2. I just want to work out!! I feel like I've done so well with my weight so far that I know if I was working out I'd be doing so much better! I've been walking but I just feel like that''s not enough. I called my Dr office and they said nothing more than walking until I'm 5 weeks post-op!! I know I shouldn't be complaining but I just want to work out! Any love will help! :)

Walking is my primary exercise and my suggestion would be if you have a park or nature trail near your home, it makes the walk much more interesting. I walk a 2 mile nature trail, carrying peanuts for the squirrels. Right now it is dark after work, so I do Curves, which you can't just yet. But when daylight savings arrives, I will likely be at the park almost daily. I really enjoy it. Other than Curves I do Water aerobics occasionally. I don't think your doctor will allow anything besides walking but those are ideas for after, unless you already belong to a gym and can work out there. I usually do a minimum of 4 miles (twice around) and sometimes more if the weather is nice and I have time. How fast I go depends on how many squirrels I run into. Hang in there. It is a good thing that you are chomping at the bit to get back to exercise. Don't shortchange walking, though. Check my signature for what it has done for me along with the band. Good luck with your journey.

Hey everyone! I had surgery on 1/16 so I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I'm doing great so far, I've lost 31 lbs:thumbup: (that's including the 10lbs I lost in the week before doing my pre-op diet) and I'm not having any struggles with food. I feel great and only am experiencing slight pain in my port area. Only 2 things I can complain about... 1. I'm a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my back has been hard but I'm dealing... 2. I just want to work out!! I feel like I've done so well with my weight so far that I know if I was working out I'd be doing so much better! I've been walking but I just feel like that''s not enough. I called my Dr office and they said nothing more than walking until I'm 5 weeks post-op!! I know I shouldn't be complaining but I just want to work out! Any love will help! :)

I hear ya. I was really eager to resume workouts post-op, too. I know it's difficult, but be patient....now's the time for your band to "heal in". Better safe than sorry, eh?

Congrats on your loss so far. You are doing excellent!!

My doc restricted my activity to only walking for the first 4-6 weeks. Once I recovered from the trauma of surgery, I started walking up hills. My doc was fine with that during my first 6 weeks.

You would be surprised how effective just walking is! It is a workout!

and btw, you'll be able to sleep on your stomache again in a few weeks. I'm a stomache sleeper too and now sleep on my tummy with no problems.

And walking is great exercise. Losing 31lbs is an amazing feat so soon post op, so you're doing really well!

I am right there with you. I like walking but I want to do so much more. I was told six weeks from the surgery day which was on 01/09 so I figure by the end of this month I should be able to meet with my trainer.

Congrats on your progress so far :)

Just another way how each doctor is different. I began working out 10 days post op (elliptical, arc trainer-no weights) and he encouraged it :bananalama:

Ask your doctor if you can use small hand weights 1-pound each with your walk.

And ask your doctor if you can use small hand weights for upper arm workouts. You can sit in a chair and do arm curls with very light weights.

Although these activities probably pale in comparison to what you were previously doing, it gives you a sense that your staying fit while recovering.

It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and the good advice! I talked to my Dr who said that I can start walking up hills next week if I'm feeling up to it and he would rather me not use weights at all. :biggrin: BUT he did say I could do the aerobic exercises on my Wii fit and I did them today for an hour along with taking my dog out for a brisk walk and I must tell you, I'm feeling great! I actually felt like I had a work out!!

Good luck to us all!! :thumbup: