Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up from virus

I'm about 9 weeks out from surgery. My husband and both of my kids and I all have this 24 hr bug. Last night I threw up, or I heaved for a couple of minutes and then I felt better. I didn't throw up any food because I hadn't eaten. My son was sick first, he threw up once and then he got better.

I had an appt for a fill today, and I called to reschedule because I didn't think it was a good idea to do it after getting sick. I should also mention that I have no restriction right now, I had a fill about a month ago, but I have no restriction.

The nurse wanted me to come in and have the band emptied. And no amount of telling her that mine wasn't filled was getting through to her. I told her that my entire household had diarrhea and a sick, horrible headache and I live over an hour away. She then said to me "so you're just going to ignore doctors orders?" I explained to her again my situation, how I felt better now and it was simply a little bit of dry heaving last night. Yeah I felt horrible but it's going away. She got pretty snotty with me and I wasn't sure how to explain my situation any clearer. If my band was full, if I was still throwing up, or even if I was still nauseous I would probably have gone ahead and taken my kids up there, even though the idea of leaving a bathroom right now is taking a chance on disaster with a 4 and 5 yr old with diarrhea.

Has anyone had a virus since they got the band?

My doc's office gave me a prescription for phenergan to have on hand.

Honestly? I think that person needs an attitude adjustment. They could've called you in an antinausea med and asked you to come in, say, Thursday to check your band.

Are you sure it was the nurse? If so I would complain. Actually I would complain regardless. If you are sick, you can't drive. And rather than an UNFILL, a medication to keep you from vomiting would make more sense. I'm not a doctor, but still...

Even if you have medication if you have a virus it won't stop the throwing up. I had the same thing happen to me. All I did was eat liquids for a week afterwards and let everything rest. When I felt better I went for a fill. I have a fluro done everytime I have a fill and everything was still in place and it all looked good. So don't worry to much it should be okay. But just take it easy on what you eat.

The middle of January I had a bad stomach bug, nausea and the poops. For a day and a half my body was heaving, but nothing would come up through the band. I could feel the pressure like it was there and trying to, but nothing would come through, and I was heaving about every 2 hours.

I finally called the Dr's office and they had me come in. I was at 6.75cc and they took out 1 cc and brought me down to 5.75cc. Anyway, buy that time I wasn't heaving anymore.

Needless to say, my ribs hurt like all get out from my body trying to throw up.

I went back and got .50 cc put back in about a week and a half ago, but I don't really have a restriction and it's been difficult, so I've back-slid a little.

Anyway, that's what happened to me. It was a little concerning for me when nothing would coming up, but I knew it was there.

But for YOU! ..... I recommend that you talk to your Dr. next time you seem him about the attitude of the nurse. That's inexcuseable for her to be like that unless you were in serious jeopordy and she was concerned for your wellbeing. (And no ..... I can't see taking two kids with "the poops" to a Dr.s visit with you. That sure wouldn't be fun for those kids ... as well as you!)

Glad you're feeling better!