Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not yet banded in Dallas area

Hello, everyone.

I looked into lap-band several months ago, and then thought I would not get insurance approval so I dropped the subject. Come to find out that I did apparently get approval, so now I am trying to learn about what life will really be like with this thing, what to expect, etc. This looks like a great board!

I'm 40, married, and reside in the Dallas area. Dr. Benavides is the surgeon, although I have never met him.

After I turned 30, I started to gain weight. Then, I moved to another state with someone with whom I really shouldn't have been with. In all that misery, I gained a lot of weight - around 245 pounds on 5'1".

Once I got out of that relationship, I decided to lose the weight "once and for all" and dropped over 100 pounds in a year and kept it off for a while, but it was a huge struggle. I could hardly eat anything at all and had to work out all the time to lose the weight and keep it off.

I got married, and who has time to work out all the time and my husband and stepdaughter eat regular food so I do too. And a lot of that weight is back.

I try and try, but at 40 this weight does not want to come off. I am avoiding seeing people. I just hate being like this. I binge from time to time, but I don't think I eat enough to be this size.

I really have got to do something about this weight. I feel like my life is at a standstill until I can fix this mess. It is so depressing! :)

Welcome to the group! You are taking the right step in a great direction! I haven't had my band long, but so far so good. I think it was the best decision I could have ever made. I have lost 22lbs total including pre banding. I had to do a liquid diet pre band for two weeks. I am still on the thick liquid phase (post band). It isn't too bad. My hubby still gets three normal meals a day, but I get liquids. The day I came home from the hospital I was miserable and was thinking OH GOD what did I do to myself? But as the days have passed they get better. I am really feelin like myself again. I went back to work yesterday. I wasn't quite my busy self as usual, but I did my fair share. Best of luck to you!

Hi Wiffle, welcome! We could almost be the same person...our lives sound so similar. I too am going to have surgery with Dr. Benavides and I too live in the Dallas area. We are the same height I just weigh more at 270. I don't have a date of my surgery yet...waiting for my approval from my insurance. I was married for 10 years before the bozo decided to take a hike back to his ex wife...some men are such idiots. But that is ok, I met a wonderful guy on the net in a chatroom, have two wonderful kids and now I am taking time to work on me and get myself and my health back in shape. Hope everything goes well for you and I hope we get to be friends. Keri

Hello Wiffle

I also live in the Dallas are. Dr. Powell in Richardson will be preforming my surgery. I have 4 more months before it will be scheduled. But I am watching the clock and flowing my PCP's advice. Hopefully the time will pass quickly.

Welcome to the board and Good Luck !!!!

Thanks for the welcome!

You have done great! You must be so excited to be down that 22 pounds, even if part of it was from the liquid diet.

There was a time when 22 pounds wouldn't have been a huge deal to lose with just a little behavior modification, but now 22 pounds seems like a dream come true. When the procedure seems scary, it is helpful to have these boards to read.

I know that I am going to think the same as you after my surgery, was this a huge mistake? Did you prepare your hubby for the misery? Was he scared for you? My DH is very protective so I can imagine him trying to take me to emergency for the gas pain or something similar.

Thanks so much for the good wishes. :)

Welcome to the group! You are taking the right step in a great direction! I haven't had my band long, but so far so good. I think it was the best decision I could have ever made. I have lost 22lbs total including pre banding. I had to do a liquid diet pre band for two weeks. I am still on the thick liquid phase (post band). It isn't too bad. My hubby still gets three normal meals a day, but I get liquids. The day I came home from the hospital I was miserable and was thinking OH GOD what did I do to myself? But as the days have passed they get better. I am really feelin like myself again. I went back to work yesterday. I wasn't quite my busy self as usual, but I did my fair share. Best of luck to you!

Hi Keri!

I met my DH on an internet dating site, so we have internet husbands in common too!

I am not sure what I weigh right now. Several months back I put the scale away and decided to work on my compulsive eating behaviors rather than obsessing over the scale. Since then I think I have gained, but my DH doesn't think so. On the other hand, since I stopped obsessing over the scale, I have started to wean myself off antidepressants. :)

I'm in McKinney, and my insurance covers the procedure in Decatur of all places. Ugh. Over an hour each way should be loads of fun. :)

Congratulations on taking care of you!

Hi Wiffle, welcome! We could almost be the same person...our lives sound so similar. I too am going to have surgery with Dr. Benavides and I too live in the Dallas area. We are the same height I just weigh more at 270. I don't have a date of my surgery yet...waiting for my approval from my insurance. I was married for 10 years before the bozo decided to take a hike back to his ex wife...some men are such idiots. But that is ok, I met a wonderful guy on the net in a chatroom, have two wonderful kids and now I am taking time to work on me and get myself and my health back in shape. Hope everything goes well for you and I hope we get to be friends. Keri

Thanks for the good wishes and the welcome!

Why do you have four more months to wait for scheduling? Is that an insurance requirement?

I went to one of Dr. Powell's seminars. When I talked to my PCP about it, she referred me to Dr. Maese who referred me to Benavides, who come to find out banded two of my DH's cousins!

Hello Wiffle

I also live in the Dallas are. Dr. Powell in Richardson will be preforming my surgery. I have 4 more months before it will be scheduled. But I am watching the clock and flowing my PCP's advice. Hopefully the time will pass quickly.

Welcome to the board and Good Luck !!!!