Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and have questions

Hello and congratulations to all of the bandsters. :tongue2: I am SO excited and anxious about getting banded. I have read a lot on this surgery and it seems to be the safest alternative. I do have some questions and would appreciate any answers.

1) I am about to attend the Seminar (my first step in the journey) and I'm curious about what comes next, after the Seminar?

2) How long does it usually take from the time you attend the Seminar till you are in the Operating Room?

3) What are the Pre-Op requirements?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :cheated:

Hi RAB, welcome to the LBT. I'll try to answer your questions.

1) I am about to attend the Seminar (my first step in the journey) and I'm curious about what comes next, after the Seminar? I went to two different seminars (two practices). After I made my decision for a band, and decided on a doctor, I made an appointment for a consultation. At that appointment, I had some preliminary tests done (weight, height, bp, etc), and spoke with the doctor about the surgery.

2) How long does it usually take from the time you attend the Seminar till you are in the Operating Room? It really depends on the practice schedule, your schedule, and if you have WLS insurance. Some insurance policies require a six-month diet. I was self-pay, and from my appt to surgery took about six weeks.

3) What are the Pre-Op requirements? If you have WLS insurance, you have to meet those requirements. Different doctors require different pre-op tests, from blood work to an upper GI. Also, many doctors require a two-week pre-op diet. Again, this varies from doctor to doctor.

Good luck!!!

Kiz summed it up pretty well. I had insurance (tricare standard) and it took me about 4 weeks from seminar to surgery (7/10 to 8/11) but there was no doubt, at 405, that I met the criteria. No tinkering with BMI etc etc.

Thank you for your prompt replies. I am anxious, but in a good way. I'm hoping to have a good experience on this journey.

Hello and congratulations to all of the bandsters. :tongue2: I am SO excited and anxious about getting banded. I have read a lot on this surgery and it seems to be the safest alternative. I do have some questions and would appreciate any answers.

1) I am about to attend the Seminar (my first step in the journey) and I'm curious about what comes next, after the Seminar?

2) How long does it usually take from the time you attend the Seminar till you are in the Operating Room?

3) What are the Pre-Op requirements?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :cheated:

All your questions are dependant upon your insurance requirements and bariatric doctor's requirement. Every one's requirements differ. For me the process was as follows:

1. After my first orientation seminar, my bariatric doctor required I attend to classes. The first class was nutrition/exercise. The second class was to attend a post-op support group to here about what happens.
  2. My first seminar I believe was the end of August and surgery was in November.
  3. Pre-op requirements were a 6-month supervised diet, psych exam, Upper GI, Blood work, H-pylori test, EKG and EKG.

Good luck!

Sorry, said I was new to this forum, heck to any forum. Anyway I need 3 things, 1 psych eval, 1 visit with a licensed nutritionist, and a letter from my pcp listing all the diets I had tried. Did the psych evaluation yesterday and she said she didn't see any reason I won't be approved. Do you think I can get a little excited about being approved? Wish I was closer to getting banded like you all.