Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a newbie and just got my date 2-18-09-NEED SOME SUPPORT PLEASE

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm so excited and scared at the same time. I'd like to know how many days did it take for you to feel OK after the band is inserted. I don't feel that I have enough information to start this journey...that's the scary part. I started my pre-op doctor visits in July '08 and finally finished up last week and got my surgery date...Feb 18. Dr. Raul Rosenthal at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL is going to do my Lap Band. I live alone right now so I emptied my house and refrigerator of just about all food in preparation for the 2 weeks of liquids. I'm ready for this challenge and pray that all will go smoothly with the beginning of the rest of my life. Thanks for reading my first and hopefully not last post. Hope to hear from some of you about your experiences. Pearl :thumbup:

Hi Pearl, and welcome to the board. You'll find lots of great info here. I had my surgery on a Thursday, went to a party on Saturday, and by Monday I was able to drive and run a couple of errands. My port area stayed tender for a month, but it wasn't terrible. I just took liquid Tylenol as needed. I didn't need my prescription for pain after Sunday morning.

Hi Everyone,

. I'd like to know how many days did it take for you to feel OK after the band is inserted. I don't feel that I have enough information to start this journey...that's the scary part. Pearl :thumbup:

I had my surgery Friday Morning and was home that afternoon. I felt good but it was nice to have another person (in my case my husband) there for "just in case". I slept in my own bed from the first night. I felt great. I felt fine saturday; oddly Sunday I felt a little worse and that was the only day I felt I needed the prescription pain meds, I used it only 2 doses worth. By that next Tuesday I was driving and went to class (I'm a student). Things I did to help feel better faster were to walk walk walk (just around the house but still...up and down and walking A LOT) and I used a pillow to protect my abdomen and brace it when I was sitting (for the first day. After that I didn't need it).

I really wasn't in much pain. I don't like feeling groggy and "out of it" and prefer distraction to being doped up (we're all different) so tylenol worked fine for me (I took capsules with no trouble) and I watched movies I'd had on hand "special", had a couple good books, etc. I was so happy to have the band, that joy helped me heal faster I think.

I was banded Dec. 22nd '08. I still can't get over how uneventful (minimal pain, etc.) it really was. My most severe pain was the night after surgery because 2 hours after coming out of recovery I was up walking around the unit and I overdid it. Soooo..... take it easy and don't overdo. I was able to go back to work 1 week after banding. Also, follow the rules. I found a childs sippy cup worked to keep me drinking slowly. I tolerated the liquids well, then graduated to pureed and now soft foods. I am really so very glad I made the decision to get banded. It is the greatest gift I have ever given myself. I am already down 27 pounds!

I wish you the very best of luck!:thumbup:

Congratulations Pearl! I was just banded this past Wednesday and I, too, am surprised by how "easy" its been so far--very little pain, just some soreness at my incision site and some gas pain/tightness in my shoulder and upper chest. All of it has been minimal. In fact, the worst part has been waking up with a stiff back from sleeping sitting up. Going to try lying down to sleep tonight.

I agree that walking is the best thing you can do for yourself those first couple days post op--even if its just around the house.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Valerie