Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach feeling- top full bottom empty?

Yes, for the first time I have noticed that. I had my fourth fill last week and I am noticing a lot of variances with it of which is the top full bottom empty syndrome.

This fill is causing me to lose weight like crazy, but I am eating every 3-hours, which includes very small portions. I will have a couple of ounces of yogurt and become full but yet hungry.

Previous fills, made me feel full all over for at least 5-hours.

I am monitoring the situation. I keep fluids and solids down, but it is just a weird feeling. I might have .5cc out on my Marc 4th visit with the doctor; just not sure yet.

I have the same problems you are having but I'm with Jodi_620. If I drink lots of Water, I am staying full longer between meals. I have trouble in the mornings and can eat alot (I measure my foods as often as possible) in the evenings. I am up two pounds this week but I admit that's my fault because I've been sneaking in things that I shouldn't be and not drinking my fluids like I should be.

I've had two fills and still haven't found my "sweet spot" but I am learning what foods keep me full longer. Cream of Wheat in the AM, tuna at lunch and any type of meat for dinner is a day that works best for me.

Good luck and hang in there. I wouldn't have believed it a few months ago but it does get easier and you do learn how to read your body better as time goes on.

I had a similar feeling of bottom hunger but top full right after surgery.

This is completely gone now and has been for almost the entire time I have been banded. With restriction, I only feel hunger in my pouch . . . which is easily assuaged with a few bites of food.

Has anyone else noticed that after eating, you get what they call the full feelting (upper stomach pressure) but still have a bottom empty feeling? With stomach growling and everything?

You bet and I am 19 months out - banded 7/17/07 & am at my sweet spot and I feel this exact way after mostly dinner every night...

This is called head hunger - satiety it's a whole new thing - we aren't satisfied with lets say 1 cup food - yes our tummies are full but we still want to eat - we are not satisfied mentally with the amount of food that we just ate as we are use to eat 4 x as much.

Think about it you are full physically and stomach growling means that it's digesting food that's all - its not that you are really hunger - as you just said you are full - but menatilly you are not full - remember they banded our stomaches and not our heads and IMHO that's where the majority of our problems are..

I say for me that my head hunger manifests its' self in to what I think of as real hunger - but how can I be really hungry if I eat another bite I will pb.. Like you said the new tummy is full.. The full nerve is at the top of the stomach not the bottom - so really this is just head hunger

Gang - this is a whole new arena for us - most of the time we didn't eat cuz we where physically hungry - we didn't stop even when we were physically full - we ate cuz it tasted good - it how we got our seratonin (sp) hormones going which reduces our anxiety - soothed us do to whatever was the reason we ate was - and it could be just something as simple as being bored.

Food is our drug of choice - Please understand that it's not going to let go of it's hold on us just cuz we got the band..

Yep the band makes us fuller on a smaller amount of food - but it doesn't deal with the reason we ate. Only we can do that.

But I will tell you I am right there with you - most nights I eat my 4 oz of fish 1/2 c veggies and then try and stuff in 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice - and really truly I was physically full from just the fish...

Just a little bit of my experience as a bander for what it's worth..

Good Luck !!!

I had a similar feeling of bottom hunger but top full right after surgery.

This is completely gone now and has been for almost the entire time I have been banded. With restriction, I only feel hunger in my pouch . . . which is easily assuaged with a few bites of food.

Did your weight loss continue the first trimester of your pregnancy? Congratulations on both your baby coming soon and your tremendous success with the band!!!

Did your weight loss continue the first trimester of your pregnancy? Congratulations on both your baby coming soon and your tremendous success with the band!!!

My weight loss continued post pregnancy.

I think I was around 152-155 when I got pregnant and 22 weeks later I am at 138. I think I am going to start creeping up a little now. My band is completely empty as of last week and my OB/Gyn said I needed to start putting on a little weight (or at a minimum stop the loss). She had me start supplementing my diet with a daily shake/smoothie.

I don't think I am going to gain much because I am not very hungry even with an empty band. I think whatever restriction I lost from the band must be offset by baby pressure . . . or maybe my stomach is just smaller and easily satisfied after being banded for so long, I am not quite sure.

I get that feeling of full on top, growling hungry on the bottom if I let myself get too hungry before I eat. I started paying closer attention and eating something small as soon as I started feeling hungry and it made a big difference.