Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've got a lot of health problems that my doctor thinks most will go away if the weight does. So now I'm considering & this is my first stop.

I have Pulmonary Hypertension, high LUNG pressure, along with other stuff but all are under control with medication.

Prior to being correctly diagnosed with PH, I was bedridden for almost 2 years so yes, I gained weight - a lot.

Now that everything is controlled, he's talked to me for the second time about LapBand or diet/exercise. Along with the PH, I have Ulcerative Colitus (in remission), osteoporosis, asthma & COPD as well as Lupus Anticoagulant.

I've not done any research yet so an honest-to-goodness newbie to this. I've read a few posts & see that carbonated drinks & sweets are out. Does this include diet soda? I can pretty much control my sweets intake as long as I can have them as wanted/needed :). For instance, a snack-size Milky Way or a couple of chocolate covered peanuts. What about frozen yogurt? What about those wonderful hot rolls from Logan's?

I'm in Memphis, TN & my doc has recommended Virginia Weaver. Like I said, I'm new to this idea & wanted to introduce myself. We'll see :redface:...

I am a newbie too! I have my consult on wednesday :redface: I am very excited. I could be wrong but I heard that Lupus and Lap Band were a no no? I could be wrong, but I would ask my doctor :) Good luck on making your decision.

AshAsh

Carbonated beverages are out for most bandsters, because frankly most surgeons put them on the "do not ever" list, and because for many of us they hurt more than they taste good. Once you have a band, and restriction, carbonation doesn't perform like it does for people without those issues. For many of us it causes painful gas bubbles, or if not painful, at least very plentiful. Some don't have this issue, especially as they have the band for a while (year or two, etc) and some will let the carbonated drink "go flat" (eww, JMO) to drink it.

There is not the dumping syndrome with the band like there is with RNY Bypass, but many surgeons and nutritionists will tell you to limit sweets because they are empty calories.

I know that my surgeon asks his potential patients if we have any autoimmune diseases (of which lupus is one, i believe) but he didn't say we COULD NOT be banded....just that he needed to know about it. Each surgeon is a little different, you'll learn.

As to your other issues; of course as you lose weight, anything caused by obesity will likely resolve, and anything made more difficult by obesity will get easier to manage. The band takes work and time, committment to follow up appointments (for fills, etc)...but it can be a lifesaver for some. Only you will know if it is the right course for you to take!

This site has a lot of good info but remember it's anecdotal. Attending a seminar or two, and reading from the contingent of "lap band" books that are on the market today, will help you too.

Edited by RestlessMonkey
typo

Hello Barbara What I can tell you is I'm from Horn Lake and I am going to Dr Virginia Weaver and her staff is great. But she is so busy so what I can tell you is when you think you are really you need to call them they will send you a packet to fill out and then send it back to them and then they will send you another packet of everything you need to do next. Right now she is taking dates for surgery for May it may even be June by now. My date is May 19. Good Luck in whatever you do.

Hello Barbara:

Welcome to LBT! You will find plenty of resources and information on this web-site.

I guess the first place to start is with insurance. Does your insurance, presuming you have insurance cover WLS? If yes, then is Dr. Virginia part of the insurance network?

If you don't have insurance, do you have the funding necessary to pay for the expense of the WLS with Dr. Virginia?

Any type of WLS requires life-style changes, which do not occur over night. Rather it evolves over time with the help of medical technology, whether it be banding or by-pass.

In that regards, you have to ask yourself are you ready for that??? I have to wonder if you are ready for a change via WLS, because you sound somewhat hesitant about giving up some of your favorite foods.

The Band is a tool that requires a lot of discipline and work. I personally have never found anything easy about Banding. I work it every day by the food choices I make, the daily calories I consume and the exercise I partake in 5X a week.

However, I find it to be an effective tool if I am willing to work it. Are you ready for that? If you are, then the results will amaze you. If you are not ready for that, then keep doing your research and talk to other people who have had WLS.

Best of luck with your journey!