Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need your help...

Long story short, this would be for my mother who's had 2 surgeries on her lap band and it's still giving her complications. Many times that are life threatening. She's trying to go in again to get a surgery, but her most recent insurance is of course denying her on the ground that it was a pre-existing condition. Basically, 2-3 different doctors have done a very bad, incorrect job on the previous surgeries and now she is unable to get her problems fixed through her insurance company. Currently she is in/out of the hospital because she cannot eat or drink and her "levels" in her blood are so low, it's alarming. This is the first attempt I've made to reach out to a law office, and I'm really pretty new to all of this, but I was hoping some of you might know some good attorney's in TX that handle this sort of thing. I've found some attorney's on the internet but they are all out of state. I know there has got to be someone on here that's had some luck... She's in really bad shape and I'm worried that if we don't do something soon that it might be too late. These insurance companies/doctors are a nightmare...

it's been one thing after another with my poor mom... almost 3 years ago, she lost her husband (my dad) to esophageal cancer who was the soul provider... she then moved from CA back to TX with her family to get back on her feet, where she was able to get a loan for a small house... well sure enough, hurricane Ike comes through and destroys it... no flood insurance coverage on the house... she got a little aid from FEMA which helped a bit... but now she's back at square one all over again, and now this is happening... talk about bad luck... I don't wish this on anyone... :rolleyes:

thanks for any help guys....

-Wes

Edited by WS6Wes

I suggest contacting the Texas Department of Insurance to see if you can get her current coverage to step up.

Usually the band isn't life threatening...it's either in, or not...it's not that invasive and a person can get the fill removed and be essentially "normal" unless there's slippage. Even then usually an "unfill" will fix it, if not, or if there is erosion, the band is removed. Not that I'm a doc, I'm not. Just a consumer. At any rate perhaps Texas Board of Insurance can help.

I suggest contacting the Texas Department of Insurance to see if you can get her current coverage to step up.

Usually the band isn't life threatening...it's either in, or not...it's not that invasive and a person can get the fill removed and be essentially "normal" unless there's slippage. Even then usually an "unfill" will fix it, if not, or if there is erosion, the band is removed. Not that I'm a doc, I'm not. Just a consumer. At any rate perhaps Texas Board of Insurance can help.

thanks RestlessMonkey... I've passed along the info to her. I got ahold of an attorney today. Unfortunately, since the surgery was over 2 years ago, they said there is nothing they can do :)

that sounds about right on par for things :thumbup:

well, if there's not much that can be done for the past surgeries and the doctors performing them, maybe we can still somehow get the insurance company to cover it some way... :redface: