Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In one year I....

Anna,

I can totally relate to meeting knew people and them not knowing the old, fat you. We hope to move as well at some point and I've thought about that a lot.

I can give you surgeon recommendations if you're coming to Denver and you are still looking for a surgeon there.

Melissa -

I'll take you up on the recommendations. I don't know any surgeons in the Denver area...

I took a job at P/SL in downtown Denver, so I figure I'll be close to a lot of hospitals and docs. Any recs appreciated.

Where are you thinking of moving to?

OK...

At least I can post face shots. I found this one from my recent vacation and I'm in about the same pose as the "best" before faceshot.

Anna

post-228761-13813138155569_thumb.jpg

post-228761-13813138155907_thumb.jpg

Anna,

There's a great difference in your face shots. Nice.

My surgeon actually works at P/SL, so that's convenient. I see Dr. Matthew Metz and his partner Dr. Brown are in the Professional Plaza East of P/SL. Here's their website:

Denver Bariatric Surgery | Colorado Bariatric Surgery Institute

I had surgery done by someone else who moved, but I've been very pleased with Dr. Metz for the follow up. He is very good at fills, usually I only get one stick. The first time he filled me after my port had detached I think he stuck me twice because it moved unexpectedly. He successfully filled me last time with the port being detached with just one poke.

I was very nervous to get filled the first time he did it because I have this huge fear of being overfilled. I hadn't had a fill in several months and was nervous to mess things up. He was very understanding and he let me do my first fill under flouro so we could make sure it wasn't overfilled. All subsequent fills have been without flouro.

Anyway, I really like their office. They have a panel of nutritionists you can meet with in conjunction with your fill. I have loved Lindsay who I've seen twice. She's very down to earth and helpful. I believe that Dr. Brown has even more experience and has even been featured in some Discovery Health programs. So either way, I think you'd be pleased with them. Good luck!

Where are you thinking of moving to?

My husband has been applying for the next position in his career path within the same company, just in a different location. He has applied pretty much all over the country and will continue to do so until something pans out. So basically we'll move wherever the job takes us at this point.

My bandiversary was Sunday. I was sick as a dog and spent the day in bed. Some celebration! I have been having quite a pity party for myself, I went in for my year check up on Monday only to have a nurse I had never met tell me that I am about 10 lbs behind the expected for gastric bypass??!? HELLO, I have a band, I have lost a total of 3.5 lbs since September (I already knew that). The whole thing threw me off because I was expecting my appointment to be with someone else and I don't handle change well. My depression meds are messed up too, can you tell. You get the point. . . Real pity party.

Down to the positive now, Who cares what the nurse says, I can wear size 16 pants (and they are baggy), I can walk 5K in one stretch, I don't need a seatbelt extender to ride in an airplane or drive my car, My winter coat is way, way too big, I'm not hungry all the time, several people have stopped my husband to ask him who the woman he was with at the store was, (it was me) the exam gown at the X-ray place fit, with room to spare, my kids are proud of me, I'm healthier than I was this time last year, It has been a good year. Yes, I've had ups and downs, yes, I'm not losing as fast as I would like, it is all relative, I have lost a lot, and kept it off for six months. (Truth be told, I haven't made the wisest food choices possible in the last six months.)

What am I going to do in year two! Keep on keepin' on. I need to get back to the basics, this is a great time to start, I am starting a weight management class at Curves on March 7, I feel like I need the structure to give me the accountability that I need. My rules are a little different than the rest of the class but it is adaptable and the encouragement from the instructor and the other ladies are important to me.

I am also going to drag out the pedometer and start doing 10000 steps a day again. I need more sunlight too. Come on spring, hurry up!

I'm going to stop blaming everyone else and take some responsibility for myself. I can do this.

The best part of this whole experience, besides the 80 plus pounds I've lost, is meeting wonderful new friends on this site who have been through it all the way with me. I thank you all. I count it a priviledge to know you.:thumbup:

In one year I made it to my goal weight. Less than one year, actually. My bandiversary was February 1. I couldn't be more thrilled. I am posting some pics to show where I started, and where I am now

.post-306167-13813142404276_thumb.png post-348840-13813142404763_thumb.jpg

post-230999-13813138165912_thumb.jpg

post-230999-13813138166252_thumb.jpg

Kristi, You look wonderful, Congratulations on your success. Crystal, your new picture looks great too.

StLouisGal, I just wanted to say I really liked your one year bandiversary post. Sorry to hear you were sick! And for the awful thing the nurse said - if you are only 10 pounds less than what a gastric bypass patient looses, then you have done phenomenal! :mad2: Way to go! (and hey - it's ok to have those pity party days. The main thing is you got back up on your horse and kept on going!).

I liked the positive tone to your post - how you are just going to keep on keepin' on, taking responsibility, and making new ways to achieve success. Good for you! Your post inspired me - I've been feeling a little blah myself lately. Maybe just winter blues, but I needed to read a post like yours. I'm gonna adopt those attitudes . . . there's no race to this, I'm gonna keep trying and let the weight come off when it will.

Good post, your positive enthusiasm has inspired me.

Just Keep Swimming! :thumbup:

And . . . Kristi, you look stunning. Congratulations, you've done some awesome work this past year! :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement Rapsody. Some days it is really hard but it is still one of the best decisions I've made. As with anything worth having, the road isn't always easy. I think the winter blues have us all down a bit.

Hang in there, we can do this because we are strong women. We are only one year into what I hope will be a very long and happy journey.

Love ya,

Hang in there, we can do this because we are strong women. We are only one year into what I hope will be a very long and happy journey.

Amen to that! The truth very well said :wink:

Love back atcha! :mad2:

Well, today is my one year bandiversary. Having this surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made for my health. I've currently lost over 80 pounds, and I feel terrific. My blood pressure is normal, no more blood pressure medications! I had problems with anxiety (just getting out of the house was a big anxiety problem for me - I think I was becoming agoraphobic). No longer! I love to travel and get around again. I go more more places than I ever have before. The aching in my joints are gone. I definitely feel 10 years younger, and due to all the exercise, I have tons of energy. This allows me to spend more time being active with my son. The increased energy & activity has also encouraged me to revive my nursing career - I am currently doing nursing refresher studies. I am out of plus sized clothes for the first time since I was in my twenties! I love shopping for clothes now. I feel like people look at me differently - they are seeing me, as a person, and not just "a fat lady". food is no longer an obsession for me - yes, I still get cravings (see my "chocolate rant" thread, lol) but I have learned to eat things in moderation. I still enjoy the foods I love, just in smaller portions. I have control over food, it does not have control over me. I am totally loving this new life.

I almost started this journey with a different bariatric surgeon, but she left for another state, right when I was finished with all of my pre-surgery testing! I was so devastated at that point, I almost gave up. I didn't want to start again, researching for another surgeon. I was worried about finding another good bariatric surgeon, and having to repeat more testing at that point. I was so tired of doctors and office visits! But I wasn't going to give up - I really needed this surgery to change my life. However, I think this change in doctors was meant to be - I believe God guided me to best lap-band surgeon I could have found in Michigan. Dr. Krause has been patient, kind and understanding throughout the past year, he is one of the best doctors I've met. I couldn't have asked for someone more supportive and with such top-notch surgical skill. The staff at Beaumont Hospital's Weight Loss Center has also been superb, I got plenty of help with changes in my diet, advice for exercise, support for the tough times, and help though those difficult plateaus. I really can't write a one year summary without giving heart felt thanks to the awesome professionals who have helped me though this surgery. I attribute a lot of my success to them.

I must also give praise and MANY thanks to all of the wonderful friends I have found here in this forum! Victorious Valentines, you are the ones who have helped me be victorious in this weight loss struggle. The tough times we have shared together - plateaus, getting food stuck, pbs, you all know the trouble we face as lap-banders. We've shared our success and good times too! Thank-you for all that you have shared with me, thank-you for the support and encouragement you have given me. I am actually a bit teary eyed as I write this, I have come to think of the people in this forum as another family. It is my hope that I have been of some help to all of you. I love the exercise thread - is has truly kept me going! And Amy, I love you girlfriend - you truly are a soul sister to me. God Bless you all, Victorious Valentines! However much weight we have lost, remember we are all truly successful! :)

I've reached a one-year milestone, and I'm not far away from my goal weight, but my journey is long from over. I know I will have to fight obesity for the rest of my life. I see it as a disease that I have to live with. But I'm not going to let it depress me any longer. I have a wonderful tool that will be with me to help me. If I were to lose it, at least I have learned healthy eating habits, a healthier life style, and most of all, strength and a more positive view of myself. I came through this, I can rise up and fight any other struggles in my life.

Last, but definitely not least - I give my love and thanks to my two greatest supporters - my loving husband, who has always been by my side throughout this journey. And to God, my Lord and Savior - He has lead me this far, and I know He has laid a path and a plan before me.

Lori

Well' date=' today is my one year bandiversary. Having this surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made for my health. I've currently lost over 80 pounds, and I feel terrific. My blood pressure is normal, no more blood pressure medications! I had problems with anxiety (just getting out of the house was a big anxiety problem for me - I think I was becoming agoraphobic). No longer! I love to travel and get around again. I go more more places than I ever have before. The aching in my joints are gone. I definitely feel 10 years younger, and due to all the exercise, I have tons of energy. This allows me to spend more time being active with my son. The increased energy & activity has also encouraged me to revive my nursing career - I am currently doing nursing refresher studies. I am out of plus sized clothes for the first time since I was in my twenties! I love shopping for clothes now. I feel like people look at me differently - they are seeing me, as a person, and not just "a fat lady". food is no longer an obsession for me - yes, I still get cravings (see my "chocolate rant" thread, lol) but I have learned to eat things in moderation. I still enjoy the foods I love, just in smaller portions. I have control over food, it does not have control over me. I am totally loving this new life.[/size']

I almost started this journey with a different bariatric surgeon, but she left for another state, right when I was finished with all of my pre-surgery testing! I was so devastated at that point, I almost gave up. I didn't want to start again, researching for another surgeon. I was worried about finding another good bariatric surgeon, and having to repeat more testing at that point. I was so tired of doctors and office visits! But I wasn't going to give up - I really needed this surgery to change my life. However, I think this change in doctors was meant to be - I believe God guided me to best lap-band surgeon I could have found in Michigan. Dr. Krause has been patient, kind and understanding throughout the past year, he is one of the best doctors I've met. I couldn't have asked for someone more supportive and with such top-notch surgical skill. The staff at Beaumont Hospital's Weight Loss Center has also been superb, I got plenty of help with changes in my diet, advice for exercise, support for the tough times, and help though those difficult plateaus. I really can't write a one year summary without giving heart felt thanks to the awesome professionals who have helped me though this surgery. I attribute a lot of my success to them.

I must also give praise and MANY thanks to all of the wonderful friends I have found here in this forum! Victorious Valentines, you are the ones who have helped me be victorious in this weight loss struggle. The tough times we have shared together - plateaus, getting food stuck, pbs, you all know the trouble we face as lap-banders. We've shared our success and good times too! Thank-you for all that you have shared with me, thank-you for the support and encouragement you have given me. I am actually a bit teary eyed as I write this, I have come to think of the people in this forum as another family. It is my hope that I have been of some help to all of you. I love the exercise thread - is has truly kept me going! And Amy, I love you girlfriend - you truly are a soul sister to me. God Bless you all, Victorious Valentines! However much weight we have lost, remember we are all truly successful! :)

I've reached a one-year milestone, and I'm not far away from my goal weight, but my journey is long from over. I know I will have to fight obesity for the rest of my life. I see it as a disease that I have to live with. But I'm not going to let it depress me any longer. I have a wonderful tool that will be with me to help me. If I were to lose it, at least I have learned healthy eating habits, a healthier life style, and most of all, strength and a more positive view of myself. I came through this, I can rise up and fight any other struggles in my life.

Last, but definitely not least - I give my love and thanks to my two greatest supporters - my loving husband, who has always been by my side throughout this journey. And to God, my Lord and Savior - He has lead me this far, and I know He has laid a path and a plan before me.

Lori

Ok...I'm BALLING right now!!! Oh Lori..what a beautiful post!! Happy Bandiversary, my dear soul sister!! You are such an amazing person and beautiful spirit. You have taken this journey by the horns and accomplished so many things. You have embraced the up's and down's of the last year and you ALWAYS see the positive in things...even if you feel down in the dumps. You have been such a wonderful and nurturing friend to all of us VV's and have put a smile on our faces with your always eloquent and gracious posts. You have personally inspired me to "be my best" and have reconnected me to a sense of faith that I let go of a long time ago. I'm so incredibly pround to call you a soul sister and so incredibly proud of you! And let's not forget..you blessed us with our famed mantra that I keep close to my heart...."JUST KEEP SWIMMING". Congratulations, my beloved Rhapsody, you are truly one of the sweetest, most beautiful (inside & out) people I know!! Ok...need a box of kleenex now!! :)

I would also like to tell the rest of you VV's...y'all look AMAZING!! JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!

Love,

Amy

Awwww, :) Thanks Amy for your very sweet words! :wink2: I am crying here too, please share those tissues! Your post was beautiful too, I am also proud to call you my special soul sister! Thanks for remembering the "Just Keep Swimming" . . . my gosh, I wrote a one year post, and forgot to add that, LOL :eek:

But if I've helped you reconnect with your faith in God, then I've truly helped someone! Don't ever give up on the One who loves you the most. I believe tough times in our lives are a part of His plan. Sometimes I have to tell Him, "I've had enough already!" lol :wink: :smile:

((((Big warm hugs)))) to you and all our Victorious Valentines!

JUST KEEP SWIMMING! :)