Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any side sleepers???

I am having some issues. I had my surgery last Tuesday. I still can't sleep on either side. I expected to not be able to sleep on my port side but I didn't think it would affect the other side as well.

Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do to make it easier to sleep?

I tend to toss and turn a lot in the night. I like to start out sleeping on one side and I'll end up on my back but right now, if I turn to either side I am waking up to pain. Not excrutiating pain, but pain nonetheless.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks

I am having the same issue. I was banded 1/21. I have been using an extra pillow and sleeping on my back. I wake up with a neck ache but it's better than the side pain

Im the same, cant sleep on anything but my back. I hate it because im a stomach sleeper and find myself rolling over many times a night and waking up in pain. Hopefully its not to much longer until we can all sleep the way we want.

I'm a side sleeper and usually will use hot/cold packs to sleep with. I place two around my stomach area, one on top of the port area and one on the other side. It doesn't matter if the packs are hot or cold, they are soft enough to provide some cushion and for whatever reasons they seem to alleviate any pain I feel sleeping on my side. Although, I haven't been able to sleep well since surgery, but not due to sleeping on my side, but generally I think because I get hungry in the middle of the night.

I had posted this same question on another yahoo group that I belong too. I got some interesting answers and thought I'd share them with you all. At least I am not alone in this problem.

Many people suggested getting a pillow or a body pillow and putting it up under my stomach when I'm on my side to help support it. (I had never thought of this).

I was also reminded about using a heating pad. They told me it would increase the circulation to my stomach and increase or speed up the healing process.

I hope this will help myself and the rest of you as well. Maybe it will help me get a good night's sleep.

Sharon,

I think that being hungry is part of my problem as well. I wake up and my stomach is growling like crazy. It seems that since my surgery my stomach is much louder than it used to be.

yeah I know what you mean. Lately when I do wake up in the middle of the night I drink a couple of oz of soy choco milk. probably not a good idea with the chocolate, but it does seem to coat my stomach and allow me eventually to get back to sleep

Boy does this talk sound familiar! I can't sleep! I just came out of bed to take a painkiller that I haven't taken in 6 days. The body pillow doesn't work for me at all but I will try to get hold of a hot/cold bottle tomorrow. good luck!

Me too! I'm a side sleeper and can't sleep on my side at the moment. I was sleeping on my back with loads of pillows so that I was really propped up until last night when I went down to 3 pillows. I ended up back at the doctors yesterday as I was in pain and he prescribed me another stronger painkiller which is also a sedative so I took one last night and it made me really sleepy. I had a reasonable night's sleep only waking once or twice but I still had to sleep on my back. I have previously had 3 C sections and it took a while to get back to sleeping on my side after those and even then I think I used pillows to support my tummy/legs. We'll get there eventually!:rolleyes:

Well, the pillow under my side didn't seem to help. I did take some Tylenol before going to bed last night and I think that did help with some of the tossing and turning discomfort that I am feeling. I will be taking more tonight since I think it helped some.

I am not generally a pill popper and taking pain pills or any other pill is just not something that I can get used to. I guess there are lots of new things that I will have to get used to with my new band.

I sure hope we all get to sleeping better real soon.

I to am a side sleeper. I would have a pillow on each side and start by just slightly lying on my side. In About 4-5 weeks I had no problem. Just give yourself time to heal. All of a sudden you will be sleeping on your side and not even realize it!

I was able to sleep on my side again middle of 2nd week post op. It was funny because I could never sleep on my back before..and now I wake up and think...Oh...Im on my back :redface:

The first time I slept on my side and grabbed my hubby (the best way for me to sleep) he was like "Hey, thats nice, its been a long time"...Crazy the things you miss so much!

NEWAYS it does get better! Youll be back on you side in no time...

Hi! I tried lying on my right side a little when I woke up this morning as my back was aching so much from being on my back in the same position all night. I put a pillow between my knees which took the pressure off slightly. I was able to lie there for around 10 minutes and then had to go back on my back but it was long enough to relieve my lower back for a while. Then I gave up and got up!:thumbup:

I can't wait to be able to sleep on both sides again!

I have good news! I have now been able to sleep on my sides for an hour or so at a time. Both sides, even the port side.

I am a happy camper. My back had been aching so much from sleeping on it all the time. Now it won't hurt so much.