Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering and Have Many Questions

:):redface:Hello everyone and thank goodness for this site. I have been just recently seriously considering lap band surgery. I never ever in the all my years of being over weight would have considered anything like this but my doctor mentioned in the last two visits, once on his own and the second time because I questioned him about it. I always thought it was very dangerous and people died from it and my husband said no, no, no. I really didn't know much about lap band and thought it probably wasn't very good. After starting to think about it (with both my adult sons pushing me to do this) and my doctor I started checking the internet. My doctor said these surgeries were not dangerous like they use to be and went over with me what they did. I could never get up the nerve to do the total bypass but lap band sounds doable. While thinking of this I just found out my 30 something niece just got it done. I will be watching her and learning. I am in Maryland and now that I am considering it along with all the worry and being very scared I would like some advice. I thought you just get it done and that's it but now after reading on the internet find out you are pretty much dieting and exercising the rest of your life. I know from never being able to exercise successfully that I would never be able to do this either. A couple questions I would like answered if someone would is do you really have to watch everything you eat? I know you eat slowly and in small bits which that alone will be hard for me. I have always ate very fast and never chewed good. I was raised with five brothers and I the only girl and had to eat fast before it was gone. I have never been big on veggies or fruit and am a big meat eater. These things worry me with lap band. My second question is what do you do if you get sick (like flu or something) and have to vomit, do you damage the band or your new little tummy or risk serious trouble? Can it really be removed? I read somewhere it could and then another place that it really shouldn't because it was made to stay in. Does the stomach grow together where it is pinched over time? Another big question is why someone loses 80 ponds in five or six months and others only lose like 25 in four or five months? I am such a worrier. I would feel better knowing I had the best surgeon in my area and would be at best hospital. How do I find that out? Everyone thinks they have the best surgeon. I went through this two years ago when I had bilateral total knee replacement. It was a worry and alot of work but worth all of it so far. My doctor doesn't really recommend anyone. I also have a hiatel hernia and barretts disease, can it be done with these? I have a BMI of 40. Thank you so much for any contribution to my questions and so sorry to just become a member and hit you with a long post. Thanks again!!

Hello and welcome to LBT. I will try to answer all that I can :) I have had the lap band for 9 months and I have lost 80lbs. There are alot of others out there that have lost more and have lost less. The rate you lose definetly depends upon whether or not you exercise.. No you're not dieting. Atleast I am not. I started out exercising and going to the gym 3x per week. That slowly tapered off and I don't exercise at all. I plan to go back to exercising when it warms up a bit. However, I still lost 7lbs this month.

You WILL have to learn to slow down, take smaller bites, chew alot more or you will have food that gets stuck. Having food that gets stuck isn't alot of fun... It can be painful and eventually the food will have to come back up. They call this PB.. Productive burping.

You will not be able to nor are you suppose to drink anything while you eat.

You will not have to diet but you need high protein.. You should eat your Proteins first then fill up on other foods.

No your stomach doesnt grow together where it is pinched. If the lap band is removed you no longer have restriction and most likely will go back to old eating habits and regain the weight. Most people keep the lapband forever.

They will most likely fix the hiatal hernia while theye are in there. I didn't have one but it's a common thing on the discussion forums.

The flu.... I have had the flu 1 time since being banded. The doctor gave me a medicine that keeps me from puking. If I feel ill I take it. Yes throwing up can cause damage to the band and it could slip. For this reason you avoid anything that may cause puking and keep anti nauseau meds on hand.

I think I touched on most of what you were asking.

Ok...that is a lot of questions, I will try to answer some.:thumbup:

You do have to change your way of eating. If you have a problem with sweets, I think they recommend you do not get the band. Most Desserts are slider foods and go right through the band.

Losing weight with the lap band does not happen on its own. It is considered a "TOOL" that you use. When you have proper restriction in your band you should get full on less food and stay full for 4-5 hours. That is how it helps you lose weight. I don't consider it a diet, because I am not hungry on the decreased amount of food.< /p>

You have to learn to take smaller bites and eat slower so your food doesn't get stuck. It can be done. I too came from a family of "inhalers". We sucked it down fast. I practiced chewing my food more and eating slower in the weeks prior to my operation so I could make sure I could do it. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too.

I have lost my weight so far without exercising. Will I continue to lose and get ALL of my weight off without exercising? I seriously doubt it and I plan on hitting they gym in 2 weeks once I am recovered from my hysterectomy.

I have lost 67 lbs so far. I probably could have done this without the band, but I would've felt hungry all of the time. Instead, I eat 1200-1500 calories per day and feel satisfied instead of starving. Also, without the band, I most definitely would put it back on.

There are different reasons people lose at different rates. Some people have a lot more to lose, so they lose faster. Some mistakenly eat too few calories and their metabolisms slow down. Others, unfortunately, have bands that are too tight and they unconsciously turn to slider foods (go down easy like chips, Cookies, ice cream, etc.).

Continue to research and ask questions. That is the only way you will find out if you are ready and a good candidate for lapband surgery.

Hello there,

I had lap band done on 9/11/07 I have lost 47 pounds and 43 inches. It has taken me longer than the average person. I am 40 pounds from my goal. I do not have a bunch of loose skin and I believe it's because I am taking it slow. I never should have tried sugar again! that is one of the things that is making things move slower. I was a huge starbucks user and don't miss it at all! the only thing is the darn sugar! Remember this is only a tool and you have to work hard still. I knew it would not be easy but sometimes wish I would have had the full bypass so that I had worse effects if I eat badly. I have had some dumping and it can be dangerous. Be careful! I would do it again in a hearbeat! Make sure you are ready and do it for you! If you are not ready it won't work! I feel so much better and now want to weight less than my husband. I am almost there and it feels amazing! Good luck making your choice! I hope everything works out for you no matter what you decide!

I have had some dumping and it can be dangerous. Be careful!

Now I am confused. Bandsters don't dump, we pb...:thumbup: What do you mean you had dumping?

Now I am confused. Bandsters don't dump, we pb...:thumbup: What do you mean you had dumping?

I wondered the same thing...