Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 12/19. Soooo Sad & Frustrated!

Hi! I am new here and I desperately need some advice from you guys. I was banded 12/19/08 and did great! Went for my first fill in radiology on 1/20/09 and ported was flipped. Dr did all he could do but was unable to access the correct side of port. Back to surgery the very next day, 1/21/09, for correction or possible port revision. When surgeon went in, he found that the port had actually came "unlocked". He showed me pictures later. What this means is that when the port is placed the surgeon uses a pliar type device to lock or clamp the port in place. He has no idea how the port became unlocked. It is a stange twisting type method used to lock it in. Could have been a bad band. SO, when it became unlocked, it also became unclamped thereby loosening away from the muscle and flipping. 2nd surgery had a much more difficult recovery. MD was able to do 1st fill during surgery. with 2nd surg, I had alot more pain. I didn't take any pain meds with the 1st and had to take Lortab elixir several times after 2nd. SO, yesterday I go for 1 week follow-up from 2nd surg, and surgeon removes staples. Within 30min after leaving MD office, I notice my shirt is wet with blood and the incision had opened back up. I call MD office and go back. He does not like the Dermabond skin glue and he says it is not quite open enough to replace staples. So he steri-strips it again and puts gauze over the top. After saturating 4 gauze dressings through the evening and night, I think it has finally clotted this morning. I am sooooo frustrated and sooooo angry and sooooo sad. Here I am trying to change my life and better my health and it has been one thing after another! I just want to cry! And guess what the 1st thing you want to turn to when you are stressed! FOOD! So i am turining to you guys instead as a way to express myself. Has anybody had anything similar to happen? HELP!!

I'm so sorry you've gone through all of these difficulties. I know there are others who have had their port flip, and I'm sure they'll respond. I just wanted to send you a warm cyber hug.

I too am sorry your having such a difficult time:( Try to stay positive and get lots of rest. Let yourself heal and take good care of yourself. Things will get better.

wishing you health and fast healing. Don't let it get you down , try to stay positive.

My first port was put in the end of July, with in one week it started to leak and the entire thing opened. I went to the hospital and they cleaned it and sent me home with (what I thought) a huge hole that I had to pack with gauze, and was told it would close and be ok. A week later and it stated to leak again and got red outside the area. Went back to the hospital and had to have my port removed. The took the port out and left me with a hole in my body that I could put and egg in and you would not see the egg, it was over 2" wide by 2" deep. I had to pack it twice a day. It took 5 weeks, and scared me to death. I was scared of the wound and scared about the port replacement.

However I had my second port put in in the end of October, I had my second fill Tuesday 2/03 and am doing great.

I was very sad and scared and discouraged but it is all fine now and I am losing. Hang in there it will get better and you will heal. I cried sometimes looking at the hole in my body and though it would never heal but it did and I am moving forward now. Hang in there it will be worth it. :cursing:

weight.png

Edited by raeraepa