Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

from Cullman---Should I do this?

Hello all,

I just joined the forum. I have not taken any action (other than to join here) toward the lap band surgery. I'm researching it & wondering should I do it?

A little about myself--I live in Cullman Alabama. I'm very happily married to a wonderful man. He has 3 grown children--I don't have any children of my own. I am 45 yrs old. Monday at my sleep dr's office I weighed 265.5--I'm 5'9". I would love to weigh 155-160. I have lost the weight twice before--first, thru a low carb/high Protein dr monitored plan. That was 14 years ago. I lost 42 lbs then & got down to 169--looked & felt good. Gained it all back plus some--of course. In 2000 & 2001 & lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers--got down to 176--looked & felt good then, too. Started dating my now dh in 1/2002 & immediately started gaining the weight back. We got married in 3/2003, I weighted 200. Now, nearly 6 years later 265. Sad huh??

I've tried going back to WW. Tried the low carb thing on my own. I have every diet book ever written I think & nearly every piece of exercise equipment. But I consistantly gain weight & consistantly fail to do what I know to do. I haven't used any of the exercise equipment in I don't know when. I know what to do--I just can't do it.

Is the lap band for me?

Things like vomiting, hanging skin, mucus, etc--scare me away from it. I really just want to stop obessing about weight & food & just live a normal life not thinking about it. Constantly searching the web & magazine covers for the "holy grail" that never is.

I need to know what it is really like. I know the weight loss & health improvements are great & in the end will overshadow the negatives. But while you're going thru everything from the seminar all the way to goal. What is the experience really like?

Are the negatives mild or so severe that at the time you feel like you are dying & wish you could?

I need some 'good ol', down to earth, tell it like it is' straight talk. Can I hear it from some of you please?

Thank you in advance--I'm desperate.

Pam

I'm like you-lost weight several times on my own and with md...but generally after about 5-6 months of weight loss I would always manage to gain it back. So- that said I am now almost a yr out and have lost 63lbs--this is the most I have ever lost and the longest I have ever kept it off.

Vomitting-will you vomit..its def possible. The lap band is a learning process. You have to learn how to eat slowly and not drink with your meals...can it be done...YES

Hanging skin-that depends on how over weight you are..for me I only have a little haning that I have noticed on the backs of my arms..but my arms have always been really big. I think it depends on age, how fast you lose the weight and how your weight is distributed if all your weight is in your belly you can bet on some hanging skin. I would rather have loose skin than be fat any day. But thats me!

You have to ask yourself if this is something that you can commit to for the rest of your life, can you give up carbonated drinks including beer, can you commit to going to see the doc frequently esp in the first year....

I suggest that you continue reading about the lap band and attend a seminar. The seminars are very informative and you can listen to what others went through and they can answer your questions on a face to face basis. Good luck. Just remember the lap band is a lifetime committment.

I think you should really consider the lap band - the main reason is the yo-yo dieting - I am losing slowly due to other health reasons - I am on dialysis and I can not have the required fluids -- wish I could -- but the greatest thing is I do not feel like I will lose and regain -- I think I can trust this --- at first, I wanted to pull this band out of my throat but then I got used to it and I love you - I hate the days of fills b/c I have to stay on liquids for two days -- I have only had one fill and will get another one next week ---

I think the best advice to you at this point, is to go to a seminar.

I recommend Dr. Freeman in Anniston, AL-- he was my doctor and I have nothing but praises for him. But there are plenty in the area to choose from-- pick one and just attend the seminar.

Get more info, be there in person to ask questions, etc. That's not committing to anything and it's the next step from where you are now. Good luck :thumbup:

I think the best advice to you at this point, is to go to a seminar.

I recommend Dr. Freeman in Anniston, AL-- he was my doctor and I have nothing but praises for him. But there are plenty in the area to choose from-- pick one and just attend the seminar.

Get more info, be there in person to ask questions, etc. That's not committing to anything and it's the next step from where you are now. Good luck :rolleyes:

Its great that Dr. Freeman did a good job on you but I wouldnt recommend him to anyone...I used to work in the hospital in which he did all his surgeries and lets just say I have some horror stories about him (all first hand) and his surgeries!

There are some good seminars in Bham at St. Vincents EAst that a lot of ppl go to and there are some at Stringfellow Memorial Hospital in Anniston

Its great that Dr. Freeman did a good job on you but I wouldnt recommend him to anyone...I used to work in the hospital in which he did all his surgeries and lets just say I have some horror stories about him (all first hand) and his surgeries!

There are some good seminars in Bham at St. Vincents EAst that a lot of ppl go to and there are some at Stringfellow Memorial Hospital in Anniston

Surprised to hear that, like what?

Yes. Do it. You will not regret it. I do agree you need to realize and commit to this change in lifestyle. This is a life long commit to eat healthier and work with your doctor to obtain your goal. Just remember a lot of us here have done just this and we are doing it. You can too.

As for a doctor, I used Dr. Stephen Britt in Guntersville. He is wonderful. His partner Dr. Groves is great too.

You should check out their website and go to a seminar.

http://www.samc.stirsite.com/home.html

Guntersville is not far down the road from Cullman. Dr. Britt performs surgeries at Marshall Medical Center North on Highway 69.

Dr. Britt and Dr. Groves are providing monthly support meetings. The meetings alternate between Marshall Medical North in Guntersville and Marshall Medical South in Albertville. you can reveiw this on their website under calendar.

Free seminars are held monthly in Guntersville and/or Albertville at the hospitals. Again see the calendar for dates and times.

With the high level of care and compassion these great doctors have for their patients, it is worth the drive to Guntersville or Albertville. Their aftercare and wonderful staff makes them the best choice in Alabama in my opinion. They are doing LAP-BAND® surgery 2-3 days a week now. They believe in the surgery & the need to provide great after care with follow up visits and fills (adjustments). In fact Dr. Groves has the Lap-Band and Dr. Britt performed the surgery.

I have heard a lot of GREAT things about dr. groves and dr. britt!! I wish that I would have looked around more for docs. I like my doc dont get me wrong but I didnt receive a lot of education prior to surgery and everything I have learned since then has been from seminars in bham and I was banded in anniston. I def recommend the lap band to ANYONE!!