Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running and muscle pain - cure?

I've been running for a few months now. I started off very slow (jogging for about 30 seconds every three minutes) Now, however, I can run 15 to 20 minutes non-stop.

That said, a few days ago, I decided to 'up' the speed on for a few minutes on the run and instead of 5.4 mph, I ran 6 mph. At the time it seemed fine, no pain, no over-exertion or anything. The day after, however, the muscles in my thighs began to hurt really bad. They felt like they were cramped up the entire day. This hasn't happened to me before.

After a day or two of taking it slow, my muscles seemed to be pretty much normal again, so I went back to running. The run went just fine, but the next day, the exact same thing happened again. My legs hurt and I walked like I’d been riding a horse for hours.

So here’s my question – obviously I injured my muscles somehow while running too fast and they haven’t healed properly yet – what can I do to help them heal faster? It is my muscles, not my joints that hurt, so I don’t think it’s something that would keep me from running in the future (I REALLY HOPE NOT). I’ll admit I hadn’t been taking Protein properly when this happened (lesson learned, I assure you) but I have been downing Protein Drinks like there’s no tomorrow ever since.

Any suggestions would really help!

That's not an injury, that's just muscle soreness from the exertion. Its nothing to worry about. If you practice running faster, eventually it wont tax your body so much.

the way to get faster is to do intervals - mix bursts of faster running (like 3/4 of your maximum effort) for a couple of minutes, with a slow, recovery pace. And add some true sprints too - 30 seconds flat out. Over time, this will greatly increase your fitness and its like a strength training workout for you legs.

Some of your runs should jsut be slow and enjoyable too though, you shouldnt run fast or do intervals ALL the time. Experienced runners mix it up.

A hard interval session can make me stiff and sore and i've been running for 3 years.

Prevention is more like it.

I've found:

• stretching before and after running reduces the sore muscles the next day.
  • warm up and cool down. Don't just run. Walk for 5 min on either end of the run.
  • a Protein hit within 30 mins after a run.
  • Staying well hydrated.

Good luck and keep running!!!!