Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I've gone through all the appointments, etc. and my lapband paperwork is being submitted to my insurance company today. Should have their answer within a week, and my surgery is tentatively scheduled for Feb. 12!

I'm excited and worried all at the same time. I'm 43 yo, been overweight most of my life, and finally want to invest in ME for better health, self-confidence, etc. I'm a little worried because I know it's still going to be hard to resist overeating - and the first 2 weeks of liquids don't appeal to me too much.

But I think I can do it, especially if I use forums like this for moral support.

Hi Franny and Welcome!

You can do the pre-op diet...If I can anyone can. It is hard but just take it one day at a time and keep reminding yourself that it is just a temporary sacrifice and the reward will be sooooo worth it! There are some wonderfully supportive people here that can help you through it.

Best Wishes!!!

Thanks, Jodi. It looks like you've done really well. Can you tell me what your experience has been? When you got banded, how your weight loss has progressed, your biggest challenges, etc? I'm not sure if I'll have a pre-op diet - it's the post-op diet I'm most worried about!

Frances

I had two weeks Liquid Protein pre-op, two weeks liquids post-op then two weeks mushies. Post-op was easier for me. Although it is not filled, the band is there and that with swelling did reduce my appetite for a while post-op. But I missed chewing during that six weeks!

I was banded on May 30th (almost 8 months ago). I lost around 30 pounds from pre-op to my first fill then consistently lost at least 2 pounds per week until recently. The last 20 pounds are coming off very slowly but that is fine.

While I did count calories, measure and weigh my food in the beginning, once I got the hang of what and how much I could handle I no longer bothered with that stuff. I never kept a food diary. I just listen to my body and eat when I am truly hungry and quit when I am full. Determining true hunger from head hunger or dehydration took some time...pre-band I rarely allowed myself to get truly hungry and ate based on head hunger alone. I gave up on starchy carbs, white flour and sugar to keep the head hunger at bay, I wasn't allowed this stuff pre-op and I was very choosy about what I re-introduced after that. There are times when I am faced with something REALLY yummy and I wish I could eat more but for the most part, I am satisfied on a small portion of food.

Keeping up on fills is also very important. It could take four or more to really get to where you want to be...it took five for me.

Hi Franny,

Like you I am new also....Where in NC are you located? I am in Central and am going to Winston-Salem for my surgery...

Suzdavis

I'm in Louisburg (a little north of Raleigh). Assuming Blue Cross approves, Dr. Joseph Moran will be doing my surgery at Rex Hospital in Raleigh. Do you have your approval and your date set yet?

Frances

Not Yet...I have been to the surgeon last week for my second visit and still have 2 months of dieting and will be going to have my stress test and psycologist meeting. Dr Fernando out of Wake Forrest Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem will be doing it. Am having to do 6 months diet and excerise for Cigna insurance..Am really looking forward to getting on with it...

Suzdavis