Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the max fill in a 9cc realize band

A good friend of mine went to see a weight loss surgeon who does all types. He told my friend (male, 6', 425 pounds) that the sleeve was "not as effective" as the band or the bypass. Several others heard the same thing from their surgeons. Since the sleeve done today is different than those performed in the past, I think it's important to get accurate info "out there" to people looking for alternatives to the band.

There are also some skeptics about it. I think they drive my surgeon a little crazy, to be honest. But that's bound to happen with any new surgery.

When I read articles and published papers about it, I'd say most are positive with a between the lines feelings of excitement. They say things like it "may' replace bypass as the surgery of choice. And maybe 10-20% are skeptical.

One of the cons of the procedure is that you have to be willing to take a chance on something that isn't nearly as proven as bypass. I was willing to do it because everything I read about the procedure was sound scientifically, but I totally understand that not everyone feels that way.

AT LAST I think I'm in the right place. I recently posted in the wrong area of this forum and a gentleman sent me a very rude reply. I am the mother of a Realize band patient. She was banded in April 08, is at 8 cc in a 9 cc and no sweet spot yet. She has tried dieting in the meantime, but lets face it, if that worked, no one would be on this forum would they. This guy told me that maybe I shouldn't have wasted my money that maybe she was not a good candidate for the surgery and that she was not devoted enough, hadnt done our part. :thumbup: (I thought that was rude and presumptuous.) This is not the case. What I said was that we did need to take partial credit because the doc is three hours away and we had to cancel and reschedule twice, once in December and once in January becuase of level three snow emergency. That did slow things down a bit. I don't really think that makes us undevoted to this thing. Also, unlike some others, our doc will only give you a fill once a month, no sooner than that. ANYWAY, I was concerned about the fact that she was at 8 and no sweet spot yet but I see that others in the same boat. I would love to know now that has worked out for you guys. I have never discussed with the doc how much the band will really hold or if this is typical of the Realize. When he asked if we had a preference I asked his recommendation and he said there were no real difference, they were both good. He is a protor/teacher for both so I assume he knows what he is doing. But my daughters success has been minimal at this point. The inital weight loss in starting to come back on and I was just curious what others in this situation are finding out.:thumbdown: