Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why only one pound a week?

Ok this is kind of a hard ? I am 420lbs. They say with the lap band you lose weight slowly. 1 or 2 ponds a week. Hears my ? When I diet I do real good for about 3 months and then I give up. NO WILLPOWER. Anyway, I lose pretty fast about 4 ponds per week and that is on 2000 calories (healthy calories) and walking 1 mile a day. So I guess what I was wondering why do people only lose 1 pound per week eating 800 calories and exercising like crazy. I hope someone can give me an answer. I was thinking maybe its cuz I have to lose so much and it comes off quicker the bigger you are. Will I lose weight quicker with the lap band because Im so big ?

Most probably you will at first. Your calorie needs are going to be much higher than mine now that I've lost my weight for example. I'd be thrilled to lose a pound in three weeks now.

To maintain my weight now, I eat about 1800 calories a day, run for about 6 miles five times a week and do three intense circuit training sessions. That sucks doesnt it?

Most probably, you will get to enjoy rather fast weight loss for a while. Enjoy it!

You know its kinda funny. Im not passing judgment on anyone when I say I have so much weight to lose that if I lose weight and am 100 lbs over weight I would be thrilled to death. Isnt that terrible. People get this surgery if they only need to lose 80 lbs. I have so much to lose that I would be happy being just fat not Morbidly obese. I hate being this big .

The weight should come off really fast at first. PLEASE don't restrict yourself to 800 calories, or if you do, make sure you eat at least 1200 every 3 days or so to keep your metabolism confused. You don't want your metabolism to shut down on you! Good Luck! When is your band date?

i think one pound a week may be just the guarantee of what you will loose. i know some people who have lost 60lbs in 3 months. so i really think it is just how your body reacts to the band, and how well you follow the diet, and how much exercise you do. they do say that when you have so much weight to loose that you loose weight faster. i was on a diet where i was eating 1500 calories a day and i lost 25lbs in 2 months, and that wasnt even being banded... so i feel ya on what you hear about the 1-2 lbs a week. but a good way to look at it is that is 1-2 lbs that you are lighter each week! have you thought about gastric? you loose weight so much faster with that surgery... good luck to you!!

I have been losing at a pace of 1 to 2 lbs a week, so far since my surgery on May 19th I have lost 86.2. I have a total of 200 lbs to lose but you have to be patient. I know it seems like forever but it will all be worth it in the end. I am so happy that I decided to get the lapband. Slow and steady is a good thing. I wish you lots of luck and happiness once you have your surgery. God Bless!!!

Fran

xoxo

Thanks everyone for your answers. and yes I have thought about gastric bypass and It seems so invasive. I'm meeting my doc in April. (it seems too long to wait) I'M self pay so I'm hoping surgery wont be long after. You know I was wondering about metabolism and wondering if bodies go in to some sort of shock. My body wont know what the heck is going on lol.

You should try to start a lower cal diet before your surgery. They advised me not to binge beforehand, getting in those last minute eats - but that's what I did anyway. I did it in more moderation, not as much as I would have a few weeks before, but I did cut out all sugar and caffeine completely. It was amazing how much better I felt without ingesting sugar. That'll help your body not be in too much shock for surgery.

Meanwhile, in terms of the 1lb a week... First off, as someone else said and as happened for me, you will probably lose a lot of weight right off the bat since your caloric intake will decrease drastically.

And, as someone told me and I still have to realize myself sometimes, you didn't put all that weight on in a week, so you can't expect it all to come off that quickly. Losing a moderate amount at a steady pace will ease your body down, and will probably help make sure you maintain the loss.

good luck!

Your body can actually only lose about a pound or two of FAT per week anyway. When you lose more, as a heavier person, your body is full of Water, that's what's showing on the scales. Its not fat unfortunately. If you continue to lose 4 - 5 lb a week for like 12 months, you'll be losing a lot of your lean body tissue. True fat loss is a slow process.

Marmar,

I can related to everything you're talking about. I have 200+ lbs that I need to lose. When you lose 2 lbs a week, it doesn't seem like a lot but in the big picture its over 100 lbs lost in a year. And just think of the things we gain. We will LIKE exercising!! Our kids will be able to wrap their arms around us to give hugs. We'll be able to go on hiking trips and not be the one everyone is worried about at the back of the pack. We'll be able to get in a car and be able to fasten the seat belt. Even better yet, the day our bellies don't press against the steering wheel.

Just a few things to look forward to!!