Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise: Friend or Foe?

Absolutly a foe to me. It takes too much time, being a single mom and a full time student, and it just all around sucks. Anyone know how to get around the boringness and suckyness of it? advice is truely needed because ive lost the first 50 lbs. and these next 50 are coming off toooo sllooooww!

Absolutly a foe to me. It takes too much time, being a single mom and a full time student, and it just all around sucks. Anyone know how to get around the boringness and suckyness of it? advice is truely needed because ive lost the first 50 lbs. and these next 50 are coming off toooo sllooooww!

Just go and do it. Plug in some bad ass music and rock it out. I go to the YMCA and put both my kids in childcare there. I get two hours 6 days a week of child free rime.

I'm a single mom, work full time and am in a masters program getting my MBA. I'm not going to cut you slack because you know its about buring more calories then you consume.

And well there's only so many fewer calories you can cut. You MUST exercise to change the equation.

Now what I will tell you is that with limited time, and that is a very real constraint, you need to find ways to add 15 minutes here or 20 minutes there. Perhaps DVD's at home so you don't add commute time is a good answer.

Walk with your kid, so it's that mommy time but it's also good for you too. Join a gym with child care.

If you get into the habit of exercise you'll come to love the stress relief it brings.

I've had to cut back on the hours of exercise, like I can't go on a 3 hour bike ride, but I still manage to work out 3-5 times a week.

Good luck.

I don't like exercising either(but I know I need to do it). I do love to dance, though. I get my exercise in by taking a belly dancing class and a line dancing with soul class. That way I get my exercise in but it doesn't feel like exercise.Other days I go walking with a friend. Walking and talking to someone makes it much easier.

Friend for me.

I am single, have kids, work full-time, I commute, and I am in the Masters Program for public administration.

I use an Ipod to keep me motivated and I do exercises that I like. I am not into jumping jacks or stair climbing, so I don't do those activities.

Just go and do it. Plug in some bad ass music and rock it out. I go to the YMCA and put both my kids in childcare there. I get two hours 6 days a week of child free rime.

I hear that. I have to have the music other wise I would have no motivation. Love my Ipod!

I have 3 kids, work part time, study full time and although I have a husband, he's gone by 6.30 am and not home till 7 pm.

If your child is young enough for a stroller, then there's your first point of attack. Walking and running with the added resistance of a child is fabulous exercise, particularly if you find yourself some decent hills. And the bonus is as you get fitter, your baby is growing, so you've got automatic progression.

I have a treadmill, so I have an at home option. My oldest is 13, so I can leave my kids while I go for a 40 minute run. I do circuit training using stuff at home - I have a barbell, dumbells, a gym ball, etc. - heck I even turn the trampoline upside down and use the legs as a chin up and dip bar. There is always a way.

This morning, Eliza got on her bike, she rode while I ran 4kms, then we stopped at the playground and she played while I did chin ups, dips, push ups, step ups on the picnic bench, and in between, I put her on my back and piggybacked her while I ran a 300 metre path. We were out for an hour and a half and I'm exhausted - it was bloody good exercise!

You've jsut got to get creative. Fit it in where you can, do what you can, get yourself home equipment. Because you have to do it, it doesnt matter a bit how valid your excuses for NOT doing it are (and they're valid!), your body doesnt care. If you dont do it, you wont lose all your weight, its a simple as that. And what weight you do lose will consist of more muscle and less fat than if you were exercising.

Time wise? Well, being fit makes me more efficient. And I'd rather sleep an hour less and be fit if that's what it takes some days. Exercise is way more important to me than clean windows or having the washing done.

Edited by Jachut

Hi:

I fit in 3 - 4 miles during my workday. I usually walk one mile for my morning break, two miles during my lunch break, and one more mile during afternoon break. Sometimes I exercise at night too, but not so much now that it's so flippin' cold in New England. Sometimes I get on the eliptical. Yesterday temps were somewhere between 20 and 30 and I walked for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

MP3 player is a must with great music.

If you're in a warmer climate I recommend you try trikking. I love it:thumbup:, but have to wait for warmer weather to trikke again. Check it out at www.tampatrikke.com Or check their website www.trikketalk.com You may be able to find someone local to let you try their trikke before you buy one.

If you can't leave the house because of your little one(s) try dancing in your own living room for a half an hour at a time. I know it feels goofy :blush: to dance all by yourself, but it is good exercise.

It is so important to exercise to help you reach your weight goals. If you can find something you really enjoy it will help you to maintain your weight as you move forward.

Best wishes to you.

I love my band!

Sue

I thought foe in the very beginning but now it is absolutely my friend.

I am working on my masters, working more than full time, with a child at home and one on the way . . . do I have spare time??? no, but I found that I need my exercise. It gives me sooo much more energy once I got into the habit that I feel like a slug if I don't do it.

You just have to do it for a couple of weeks until it becomes routine. Then you will find it is no big deal at all and you will begin to crave it.

Get an MP3 player. Fill it up with your favorite tunes. Start walking at the track, the park, or on a treadmill. Get into the music and pretty soon you won't even notice that your excercising. You can even multitask. Since your a student, listen to a lecture or a recorded book while exercising. Then you're killing two birds with one stone - getting the exercise and study time in at once.

I mostly hate to exercise...but I think that's because I've never really been able to do it.. I started at 387 and couldn't hardly walk anymore without stopping to rest.. So, this is a slow process. Now at 313, I know I can do a little more, so I walk on my treadmill and have started Water aerobics.. I love the water and I can move constantly for an hour in the water doing things I couldn't do for an hour on dry land!!!! It's great and fun, too..... I'm from North Dakota and this year we are definitly snow covered....80 inches on the ground..... So no outside activities for me.. Just trying to get to the car and back without falling on the ice is a challenge... But when the snow leaves us, I'm looking forward to walking and riding bike with my husband and granddaughter. These will be new experiences for me and I'm hoping my body will handle it well... Good luck to all.... I know how hard it is to do things when your heart isn't in it... It will get easier as we go, I'm sure.... Julie