Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I'm 24 years old, i'm 5'3" and have at least 100 pounds of extra weight I'm carrying around. For my petite body frame, I should not be holding this amount of weight. I have discussed with my physician my weight issues and concerns. He agreed with me my struggles have been for a long period of time and he feels its in my best interest to go through WLS. He recommended me to a personal friend/weight loss surgeon. I trust and value my physicians opinion greatly. I went to a informational session and have been to the weight loss surgeon for a consulation. I am a perfect candidate for lapband.

I have been unable to do anything more about taking the steps to WLS since my insurance does not cover anything, including my appointments with the surgeon. I had over a $200 bill for my consulation. Seeing as this is my health, I do not mind taking out loans to financially afford this life altering surgery. I am just hoping my next job will have better insurance and will actually cover part, if not all of my surgery.

My asthma has gotten worse since I've gained large amounts of weight, my knees are going to be shot before the age of 30 if I keep this up. I just finished physical therapy for my knees that have started to buckle and give out sometimes due to my extra baggage. I have many people around me saying "You are too young" "Wait a few more years" "When are you going to be able to stop working, have surgery, recover and then return to work?" The way I look at it is.... I won't be able to work soon if my body is in the condition its in. My goal is to become a nurse, right now I'm finishing up a CNA course but I'm dreading clinical week which involves being on my feet for 6 hours at a time. I can barely take a mile walk without being tired and needing to sit down (and that's on a good day!). How am I going to get a job if I can't do what is required of me?

My weight seems to keep going up, regardless of what I do. I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week and ride the bike (low impact on my knees) or walk on the treadmill for 15 minute incriments. I've been documenting my food intake for my doctor and I'm still gaining weight. I want to have a child someday and I won't be able to if I'm at this weight.... I'm not wanting the surgery to look good. I need it to survive. I don't eat myself to death, at some point in my past I used to but not anymore and I still can't take off the weight.

I want to do this for me. I believe I'm strong enough, have the will power, can dedicate myself to a life long change and want a healthier, more fufilling life. I want to go hiking, ride my bike, try rock climbing and travel the world, start a family....I need to be healthy for all of that. Physically, mentally and emotionally....I am ready! Now, how do I convince friends and family around me? Or do I just do it without their support?! I know the are most liekly worried for my quality of life after surgery but they need to realize after hard work and dedidcation, I can achieve a healthier life! I'm ready for change! Any advice?! Thoughts?

My weight seems to keep going up, regardless of what I do. I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week and ride the bike (low impact on my knees) or walk on the treadmill for 15 minute incriments. I've been documenting my food intake for my doctor and I'm still gaining weight. I want to have a child someday and I won't be able to if I'm at this weight.... I'm not wanting the surgery to look good. I need it to survive. I don't eat myself to death, at some point in my past I used to but not anymore and I still can't take off the weight.

Document your food and drink intake using fitday.com or dailyplate.com to see what you are actually consuming each day. If it is 1500 or less and you are exercising 5-6 days a week and aren't losing, then lapband probably won't help you. Something else is going on. Lapband is a tool to help people do what you say you are doing and not feel hungry. I also thought I didn't overeat, but when I think back now to the amount of food I was consuming, it was more than twice sometimes three times what I consume now. I just THOUGHT I didn't eat a lot. Logging my food on fitday was a real eye openenr for me.

Hi.

Now, how do I convince friends and family around me? Or do I just do it without their support?! I know the are most liekly worried for my quality of life after surgery but they need to realize after hard work and dedidcation, I can achieve a healthier life! I'm ready for change! Any advice?! Thoughts?

You are 24-years of age. You are an adult, do you really feel the need to convince friends and family to support you? I did not tell family, friends, or co-workers about my medical issues and my decision to have WLS.

I am a strong independent adult woman who does not seek permission to live my life. Thus, give yourself permission to use your Power in a way that helps you make decisions that lead you to achieve a healthy life-stlye that you deserve and need to live a long life.

You and your doctors know what is best for you. If your quality of life is less than desirable, then do whatever you need to do to get better. Remember you are in control and you can do this!

Good luck!

Hi lookingtoloose,

I am 25 and live in Western Mass. Ur post is soooo similar to my story and my reasons for WLS. I will be banded 2/11 and am scared out of my mind! but like you, i want to have a family some day, be able to walk up stairs and my feet not be sore. Personally, i feel that there is no other time but now for me! I am taking two weeks off work, I work in people's homes with kids that have dev. disablities and im in school for my masters. It will be hard but we are young and I feel like i can't wait. I have been very open with people in my life of what i am doing. And i have not yet encountered anyone who is not supporitve. I would not be able to do this without their support. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I just wanted to let you know that someone your age is out there is going threw the same things as you.

:( Jess