Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new, scared, excited, OMG!!

Hi, from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi! I am morbidly obese with diabetes type 2, starting kidney problems, starting heart problems, and am scared to die. I must cure the diabetes and the only way I know is to have surgery. How long after lap-band surgery does the diabetes seem to go away. I have heard after bypass it is just days. Any help on this front??

I am so glad to have found y'all!! Hope

Hi, and welcome !!!

Just to be clear, the band doesn't "cure" diabetes, it is simply a tool that enables us to eat less with less hunger.....we still have to do our part and make the right food choices...protein first, vegetables second, and carbs if necessary. As diabetics, this is how we are suppose to eat anyway, but for whatever reason, we have found it difficult to do so....the band helps us. But we still have to do the work and commit to making the right food choices after surgery.

There is a much greater long term success of getting diabetes under control with the band compare to diet and exercise alone because of our improved eating behaviour and amount of food we eat with the band.

Gastric Bypass resolves blood sugar quicker because of the "malabsorption" component that lap band patients don't typically have since out digestive tracts are not re-routed.

As for how long to expect improvement in blood sugars (of course everyone is different).....I am scheduled for surgery this Friday and have been on the pre-op high Protein liquid diet for 1 1/2 weeks now and have already seen an improvement in my blood sugars (and my weight) !!! Just spoke to my endocrinologist this morning, and she has already decided to cut my Metformin down from 1000mg twice a day to 500mg twice a day, and I haven't even been banded yet....so I can only expect more great progress in the upcoming weeks !!! I am on 3 diabetic meds and Byetta injections twice a day....insulin was the next step.

Hope this helps ! I too opted for the lap band mainly because of my diabetes. Weight loss will be great, but good health is my main objective. I want off those meds (or at least cut way down) and greatly lower the risk factors associated with diabetes going into my 50's and beyond.

Good luck. Keep in touch and I'll be glad to let you know how the blood sugars continue to do after surgery.

There is no cure for diabetes. It can go into remission though. It is a quicker process for gastric patients and can be a slower remission process for badning patients.

There are several research studys reported in JAMA about this topic. Attached is a link that might be helpful.

Diabetes Remission In Obese Patients More Likely With Weight Loss Surgery

If you have access to a library, especially a local university or local college, you can review JAMA journals.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/299/3/316?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=BARIATRIC+SURGERY&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=20&resourcetype=HWCIT

Edited by TQUAD64

If you have time check out Discovery Health:

Discovery Health :: HealthDay :: Gastric Bypass Success Sparks Debate

They had a 1-hour medical show on this topic yesterday.

Good luck!