Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

could all this be band related?

i got banded in april 2008 and have had NO problems with my band.

right around xmas, i started getting pain in my back. it wasn't too bad and its was on and off. so i finally went to the doctor earlier this month and had xrays done. was told i had bone spurs and needed to see a pain mgt doc for possible back injections. the doc i was referred to a good distance from my house and i dont wanna drive that far so i've been trying to find someone closer. so i've been dealing with it when it starts bothering me. the doc also gave me anti-inflamatory pills as well, but i never started taking them.

now the pain is more frequent and is right after i eat anything. i can hardly eat 4 bites before i am full and then i'm in pain... someone told me i could have gallbladder issues so i decided to check it out just in case. i went to the doc wednesday and he scheduled me for an ultrasound.

we went to lunch thursday and i ate 3 bites of a salad before i was in pain. BAD PAIN. i was crying and i never cry. i ended up going to the ER because of it. this was at 2pm. finally at 6:30 they come get me for an ultrasound. then about 7ish the doc walks in and tells me there is nothing wrong with my gallbladder. i ask him why it hurts like hell after i eat then. he said i could have acid buildup (which i've NEVER heard of) and to see my reg doctor. i finally got home at almost 9pm.

let me also say that for the past 2 weeks i've been dealing with a sinus infection. i went to the doctor thursday (before my trip to the er) and got anitbotics. i haven't been able to start the anitbotics yet since i've been having trouble keeping everything down. i called my surgeons office friday morning and asked to come in. i told them about the ER trip and my sinsu issues. i was told that when people have colds/sinus problems, it can cause the stomach to swell making the band tighter. the nurse told me that alot of people need Fluid taken out of the band until they are better.

most of friday i couldn't keep anything down - solids or liquids. i decided to start taking my anti-inflam pills and guess what?? i was able to eat some Soup and keep it down. last night, we went to dinner and i was able to eat a small amout of solids and keep them down, but my back started huring shortly after eating.

i'm not sure what the heck is going on with me. i have an appt monday with my surgeon to discuss. anyone deal with anything similar before? thoughts?? suggestions??

<!-- / message -->

It sounds all band related. You sound WAY too tight. Your back pain is related to eating, and when you get stuck, it can radiate through your back. You may not need to treat the bone spurs, it may be pain from the band. I'd schedule an upper GI, to check for any type of slip, but it sounds to me like a partial unfil will do the trick. I went through the EXACT same thing as you and a .5cc unfill made all of the difference in the world.

my last fill was in october and it's been perfect until now. not sure why it would give me problems now.. unless its because of my sinus infection.

It sounds all band related. You sound WAY too tight. Your back pain is related to eating, and when you get stuck, it can radiate through your back. You may not need to treat the bone spurs, it may be pain from the band. I'd schedule an upper GI, to check for any type of slip, but it sounds to me like a partial unfil will do the trick. I went through the EXACT same thing as you and a .5cc unfill made all of the difference in the world.

The band can be totally random. My last fill was in August and it got progressively tighter since Christmas. My doc had no explanation whatsoever. Sometimes the band is just VERY VERY fickle.

I tried to wait it out, but it was no use and ended up getting in real trouble cause i waited... i.e. dehydration, nutrient deprived etc. PLEASE call your doc ASAP.