Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need words of wisdom and encouragement.

So my consult appt is next Wed. I am anxious to get the diet thing going but don't want to lose weight b4 my appt cuz I heard everything goes off of that weight. :cheers2:

Let me know if any of you have done this--I called the place I was told for physician supervised exercise, got off the phone and was ecstatic that I can get this going (with exception of waiting for consult. lol), then said OMG!! I have to wear some kind of workout clothes and actually workout in front of someone!! I huff and puff climbing to my apartment on the second floor!! What the heck am I going to do for an hour and fifteen minutes with someone "observing" me?? :thumbup:

I am a hairstylist so I work in the public eye but when not working I'd rather be hiding from any judgemental eyes. I wont even comfortably go for a walk outside in daylight. :w00t:

I NEED words of wisdom and encouragement! :party:

Good luck for your consultation- I doubt you will lose much weight between now and Wednesday so its safe to start dieting now.

I didn't have to do any kind of exercise at my consultation so I can really understand how nervous you arew about doing that, it sounds daunting but I am sure the pysicians are really nice and as they are used assessing people for weight losss surgery , they are proffessionals and they will soon put you at your ease.

I was examined and had bloods done but thankfully that was it. i started my pre op diet the day after the consult even though my op was 3 months later.

Just keep in mind your end goal of getting your band operation and that will get you through. good luck and drop by and let us know how it goes.

Sue

Those docs see people like you all day every day. It's what they do. They won't be judging you. I remember feeling embarrassed when I had to take my clothes off at my pre op appt for an exam and I was so embarrassed about my surgeon seeing my body. Then I remembered he sees people like me all day every day.

As for losing weight, it won't hurt to start unless your BMI will drop below your required level (which is typically 35 or 40).

It's my understanding that the weight they use for insurance approval is the weight at seminar. That is how it happened for me. They want you to take off as much as possible before the surgery to help make it go better.

I understand your feeling of embarrasement when exercising but didn't you eat in pubic, don't you think people judge you more for a fat person eating than a fat person exercising.

You have to remember you are doing this for you and that is who you need to focus on is you. Try to block the others out and thank about what they will be thinking about you a year from now.

Good luck in your journey and remember as someone else said. These docs see people like us everyday that is why they are here and that is why you went to them in the first place.

So my consult appt is next Wed. I am anxious to get the diet thing going but don't want to lose weight b4 my appt cuz I heard everything goes off of that weight. :cheers2:

Let me know if any of you have done this--I called the place I was told for physician supervised exercise, got off the phone and was ecstatic that I can get this going (with exception of waiting for consult. lol), then said OMG!! I have to wear some kind of workout clothes and actually workout in front of someone!! I huff and puff climbing to my apartment on the second floor!! What the heck am I going to do for an hour and fifteen minutes with someone "observing" me?? :thumbup:

I am a hairstylist so I work in the public eye but when not working I'd rather be hiding from any judgemental eyes. I wont even comfortably go for a walk outside in daylight. :w00t:

I NEED words of wisdom and encouragement! :party:

Oh spud.mama, I totally know where you are coming from in regards to wanting to hide. I have been over weight for several years and had gained over 55 pounds in the last 6-years. It was horrible. I felt horrible both physically and mentally. I started to hide, not accepting invitations to go out. Not wanting to travel for work events. Not wanting to be seen in public. And this is so not like me, because I am a total extrovert, but not when I am heavy.

Exercising at my heaviest weight was difficult with ankle, knee, and back pain...not to mention all the joint pain I felt just from walking. I knew that something had to change and that I needed lots of help. So, I met my PC in January 2008 and I am now on my journey.

My surgery was 11/11/08. I have lost 30 pounds and I have lots of energy. It is amazing how much more active I am. I am actually jogging for short periods of time. (My goal is to complete a 3K without stopping to take a break.)

Anyway, my health has improved both physically and mentally. I am back out in society and accepting invitations from family and friends. I am travelling. I feel no shame.

You will gain your Power back with this surgery. There are a lot of requirements that you must complete to reach your surgery date, but don't let the process stop you from achieving a healthy life whereby you will find the courage to step outside back into society.

As far as a supervised exercise program, I have never heard of that before. As far as losing weight prior to the first doctor appointment, I waited until I saw the doctor then once he logged in my heaviest weight, I began the supervised doctor/nutritionist diet.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I will persevere thru whatever hoops I have to jump thru no matter how much its out of my comfort zone. :(

Just keep focusing on the future and what you will look like in a year from now....hang in there.....we can do it....... Good Luck......