Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else experience a long wait time before surgery?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently going through the whole pre-op process, and finding myself a little frustrated with how long things are taking. Anyone else experience this kind of frustration?

Here's how my timeline has been so far:

Last August: Informational meeting

September: Meeting with program coordinator/RN, completed blood tests, arterial blood gas test, upper GI, Psych consult

October: Met with the surgeon and nutritionist, got family doctor referral and EKG, found out that my insurance requires a 6 month doctor supervised pre-op diet, cardiology clearance, pulmonary clearance, and drug/alcohol testing

November-December: Continued seeing nutritionist for 6 mo. diet

January: EGD was scheduled, had to be rescheduled for Feb. Cardiology clearance appt two weeks ago.

So next month I'll finally have the EGD (it's taken 3 months of waiting) and the pulmonary clearance (2 month waiting list). My 6 month diet will be up in April, after which point I will hopefully be approved. The surgeon has about a month-two month back-up, so I'm realistically looking at June for the surgery. Total, a 10 month process, but even if I didn't need the 6 mo. pre-op diet, it'd still be about 8 months with all the waiting.

I'm grateful that my insurance will cover the procedure, even if they have an insane amount of pre-op tests/clearances required (according to my surgeon's office). And I've lived the past 30 years being overweight, so what's another few months...but it's still frustrating! :thumbdown:

/end rant

They are making me wait 6 months before my surgery its all in a long progress my surgery date is tuesday jan 27 so im really nervous i hope it will be worth the wait

:thumbdown:

Overall, the process may seem extensive, but I have came to the point where I remind myself it is for my own good.

I started the process with my informational meeting in May, have completed all of the steps and recieved approval for isnruance coverage this week. And my insurance did not require a 6 month dietary consultings.

Unfortunately, my surgeon has a 2 month waiting period for surgery dates, so I am hoping to have my surgery performed at some point in April.

GOod luck on your endeavors, it seems lengthy but it's all for your own benefit. Better to have the proper work-up prior than to have complications.

It will come fast, as my process, all 11 months seemed like it was just months.

:thumbdown:

I started the process back in January of 2008. I saw the PC, psych, and nutritionist. I have one test after one test, plus, I had to complete the bariatric required classes.

I actually had my surgery in November 2008, so it took 11-months for me to complete the process. Let me tell you there were many times when I just wanted to quit and give up. But I found this web-site and made myself familiar with the process, which helped me not give up.

I am very happy with my band thus far and have no regrets.

I just got banded on 1/20/09. Started process in April 2008 with first visit to surgeon. My insurance didn't require a 6 month pre-op diet, so I assumed I was on the quick track. Wrong! I have hypothyroidism and the endo wouldn't sign off for clearance until TSH was in normal range again. It was a 3 month wait to retest blood level. There definitely were times I was like I just want to quit. But then I thought, hey I've come this far, this is just another hurdle to see just how much I want the surgery. In the long run, the timing worked out better too in regard to work, holiday temptations etc (not for getting outside for walking though). Just keep reading the forum everyday to know that you are not alone. One day at a time. Keep your chin up!:thumbdown:

Thank you for your words of encouragement. It helps so much to see that others have experienced the same exhausting wait! :w00t:

You're right that the silver lining is that all these tests and hoops to jump through will only yield a healthier, better outcome in the end. That is something I need to keep reminding myself.

I just started the process in December. I had to go to the seminar, all of my testing except bloodwork was done in a one day gaunlet run at the hospital. That was awesome. I went to the doctor after this only to be told by the insurance company that I have to do another 6 month dietary program. I have already done one prior to the lap band interest. It totally sucks. As if the insurance doesn't know I need this surgery done. At least they will eventually cover the surgery. I am patiently waiting for June.:confused:

I know that the long wait is very frustrating. I didn't have as long of a wait, but at times I wish that I had. You have all of this time to really learn about what life will be with the band. You have time now to start learning band friendly recipes and such. You also have time to get a clear understanding of your doctors post-op instructions. I say take this time to learn. Your surgery time will come faster than you know it. This way, you will be well prepared. Continued good luck and success to you!

Loretta, your experience sounds a lot like mine! Let's cross our fingers for June! :sneaky:

Slim, I hadn't thought about this being a good preparation and learning time, but you're probably right. I've been journaling the process, and I've put a great deal of thought into it along the way. I should start looking into band friendly recipes next, like you suggested. I had assumed I'd be eating the same kinds of things I'm eating now, just less, with a little more focus on Protein. That's probably not the case, though, is it?! :confused:

Loretta, your experience sounds a lot like mine! Let's cross our fingers for June! :lol:

Slim, I hadn't thought about this being a good preparation and learning time, but you're probably right. I've been journaling the process, and I've put a great deal of thought into it along the way. I should start looking into band friendly recipes next, like you suggested. I had assumed I'd be eating the same kinds of things I'm eating now, just less, with a little more focus on Protein. That's probably not the case, though, is it?! :)

In theory it is, but with restriction, some things can become difficult. I have been eating the same things as my family, but my last adjustment changed that somewhat. I have to be careful and pay attention to what and how I am eating. I have been able to eat just about everything before now. Even now, I am just learning some of the things to go REALLY slow with. For example, fruit that has edible skin. I was eating a pear for the first time. I was fine with it, but the next day I got cocky. I ate another one, but I wasn't really paying attention and concentrating on eating it. I was swallowing the second bite when it hit me that the first bite hadn't moved.:confused: I had to get up and move around to try to get the bites to go down. It's all a learning curve. Just read and do as much research as you can. It will really help in the long run. It will help you when you start to feel things aren't moving at the rate that want. You are already ahead of the curve because you are on here asking questions. Keep up the good work. You will do great.:sneaky:

Thanks to all of you for your post/words of encouragement, Its been a very long process thus far (June of 08 to present 05/22/09). Just to see that I am not experiencing this by myself helps alot. Again thank you all.

What insurance do you guys have??? I dont want to wait that long for my surgery ;)

i was getting very VERY discouraged (im sure thats what the insurance wanted) because i did my blood work to make sure i was healthy enough got my primary drs ok and sent referral insur declined due to no 6 months of supervised weight watch so after about 2 months i finally sent in paperwork to do my 6 months. i could have been almost half way there but thanks to the insur im behind!! like i have heard it might be a long process but well worth the wait!!

What insurance do you guys have??? I dont want to wait that long for my surgery ;)

Those posts were from 2009. Your best bet is to check your insurance to see what coverage you have and what their requirements are. A 6 month supervised diet requirement is very common.