Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I've just begun this journey and could use some encouragement

long story short, my weight has fluxuated most of my life but I was never more than 20-30 pounds overweight at any time and always carried it well. well I gained a lot when pregnant with my son because of a fear complication. Pregnancy went well but after my son was born (almost 7 years ago now) I was taking the weight off and then we were in a bad car accident. my spine was damaged so severely that Ive been unable to return to work or even do light exercize other than a little walking but it wasnt enough and I gained even more.

so now Im about 160 pounds overweight and was just told by my neurologist that they cannot fix my spine unless I lose the weight. Tired of living in pain Ive ended my phase of denial and have researched and contacted the best facility in our area (comes with VERY HIGH MARKS). There are so many facets that made up my decision making in this process. From my physical pain to not wanting my son to grow up with me on the sidelines of his life or worse not there at all (Im a single mom) and to get my own sense of self back.

but like everyone, this is a scary choice to make. I have my consult on Feb. 23,2009. can anyone tell me how long it takes on average (or share how long it too you from first consult to surgery date)... Im the type of person that once I make my mind up I want it to flow smoothly and pretty quickly... Also anyone who is willing to share their experiences with the process and the surgery I'd be happy for the support and encouragement.

thanks so much

i dont know what else to say now so I will sign off

Blessings

Kimberlie

Well for me it was 6 months. I had to do three months of classes and then wait for insurance approval, which took a little longer than expected. I think the average is around 6 months, depending on your insurance companies guidelines. Good Luck.

ouch that long? well I guess six months will pass just the same if do it or dont do it right? seems like another eternity tho.

thank you for your quick and kind response.

Blessings

Kimberlie

Kim, It depends on your insurance. I had blue cross and blue shield. They approved me right away. I was happy when at my initial conference talk, the doctors said that my ins. was their friend. I first went to the info seminar then to my first dr. appt., then to a psyc. and nutritionist 2x each and then to another seminar and lastly my dr. again and had it scheduled. All this took exactly 3 months. You just have to ask for the nearest appointment and take it despite what else is on your schedule. That's what I did. God bless. Patty

hey , time is passing anyway so six months will to .

when paying cash I heard 3 to 4 weeks I had Aetna and it took six months but this time has given me much knowledge Feb 9 is the big day we will all win this battle

I am alot like you. I made my mind up that this was what I wanted to do alot in part due to conditions that continued to be diagnosed each time I went to the doctor. The last was rhumetoid arthritis. My insurance did not cover it so, I was considered a self pay. From the time I went to the doctor until surgery it was about 4 weeks. It was longer due to the holidays. It has now been 2 weeks since surgery and all is going well. I continue to have my positive attitude and determination that 1/12/2009 was the first day for the rest of my life. hang in there..