Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So close, yet so far away....

Hey, I posted this in the "At or near goal" section as part of someone else's thread and thought I would put it out here too.

I'm stuck, 15 pounds from goal. Doc say's he considers me a success story and is happy with my current weight. However, I picked my goal weight based on BMI, I want to be toward the middle of the normal range. Right now, I'm just a couple pounds above, so I'm technicaly still overweight.

For me, it's not as much about how I look as it is about finishing this thing. I'm actually pleased with how I look in my clothes, I'm a size 8 right now and I'm OK with that.

I can NOT get the scales to move for me all of a sudden. :tt2: The first 76 pounds really came off on their own. Yes I followed most of the rules and made a conscious effort to eat the correct foods in the proper amounts. Although, I've always allowed myself the occasional glass of wine, chips, candy, etc. I figured if I had to do this forever, I wanted it to be doable and fit in with my lifestyle.

I feel like I've run a marathon, only to fall on my face within sight of the finish line. I don't want to quit and go home, I want to finish the race.

Having said all of that, I work 82 miles from my job and consequently spend a LOT of time sitting down. I get up at 4am and get home at 7pm, I just don't have time for big workout sessions. I do however, walk the stairs at work (I'm on the 10th floor and walk them 3-6 times a day) and have started trying to do pullups at home. These are things I can do whenever I have a minute and don't have to schedule an hour for working out.

Jacqui, I know you are going to get after me for this. I know what an exercise buff you are and I envy you, but is there anything I can do to get this train rolling again?

This week I have charted my food on DailyPlate and kept my carbs and calories low and this morning I was UP 1/2 a pound! I feel all my old diet frustrations boiling to the surface again and am becoming concerned that I may not jump this hurdle. I haven't lost weight since early December.

Any suggestions?

I feel your pain. I am 20 pounds from my personal goal. I have been at a very long plateau. I have tried evey combination of changes to my eating/exercise routine and nothing makes a difference. The only thing the doc can say is that my body is fighting losing the weight since have been overweight for so long. Like you, the first almost 80 pounds came off fairly easily. I am getting so frustrated & starting to affect my motivation. I could see if I was totally blowing it and eating Burger King and subs every day. I don't even touch that stuff and still nothing. While I have not lost, I have not gained either but I live in constant fear that is going to shift. I try to keep a positive and grateful attitude for the ways I have come but I am not ready to be through yet. All I want to see is 199; that's my personal goal. At my last doc appt, I did get a small fill but doc was hesitant because I feel as if I have good restriction and she agrees, but the scale does not move.

Have you tried to do the 5 day pouch test to kick start the weight loss again. Or you can try the no white carb diet. This seems to work for me when I hit a plateau. I am not as close to goal as you though.

I am still not at goal many years later. The only advise I can give, which is not what you want to probably hear is FORGET ABOUT IT! Most of us have obsessed with the scales for so long we don't know what else to do. I understand the pholosophy you have of wanting to finish this(as you put it). But wasn't the goal better health? I bet when you started you thought you would do cartwheels just to get to the weight you are now. Stop thinking about it, continue your good habits and continue to deal with the bad and be happy and ENJOY the new you. We just spend to much time in our lives trying to be what someone else tells us is acceptable. If it's not weight it's always going to be something. Mine was sagging boobs and baggy eyes. I have to get over it. The journey only ends I think when we learn to love ourselves with all our imperfections. That's my Dr. Phil moment. lol. Good Luck. You sure look like a success from where I sit. Like I said, I have been at it a real long time.

Do you have a lunch hour? Can you go to the gym on your lunch hour and get a quick workout? If not, can you go for a walk on your lunch hour, if the weather permits? If not, perhaps use your lunch hour to use the stairs more at your work, use them as an aerobic StairMaster workout.

Don't forget to boost up your Protein with your workouts. It will help you feel full and build muscle.

Thanks guys. I am trying to bump up my exercise, but like so many times in my life, my reward is blood-sugar problems. I'm hypoglycemic and it hasn't bothered me much this entire past year. Yesterday I had a really bad spell and am still feeling it today. I went to see our health and wellness rep here at work and he suggested I see a diatician. I'm going to call my PCP and start there. He said if I can get my blood sugar under control, then they will help me increase my exercise without paying a price for it.

I'll keep you guys posted on how I'm doing.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to get into a certain size or anything. I did do this for my health and I want to be in the healthy BMI range. My mom has had 2 heart attacks and 2 open heart surgeries. 1 in her 40's and the latest 2 years ago at 64. I'm really trying to NOT following in her footsteps.