Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time for me...help needed

Hi,

I've been banded since April and today i'm experiencing something new. I don't typically get sick or have problems eating much (i.e. lean cuisine pizzas, etc)...but today i'm so tight that when i took a sip of my iced latte it's making that bubbling noise and is taking a while to go down (and just uncomfortable--not really painful though...just really tight feeling).

I'm trying to think what I did differently to cause this and the only thing is i had a big workout last night and also did sit-ups for the first time (30). Could that be it? It's so weird to only have this happen now. ugh i really want that latte too!!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Not sure if exercise causes tightness or not. My band always makes that bubbling noise, I actually love the sound. I guess it is a physical reminder that the band is working for me.

I've heard a lot of people say that stress will cause your band to tighten significantly. Could that be an issue for you?

well i'm not really stressed...i'm normal. i wouldn't mind the noise if i didn't have this "pain" feeling in the center of my chest...i wonder if it'll just pass...ugh

Tried a gas-x? It's a possibility. Ever since my 2nd fill, I've been more gassy and need to take gasx every day. Let us know what happens.

Hi, I recall that during the first two weeks after my surgery, I experienced a lot of gassy pain (sometimes really uncomfortable). I didn't know what to do, I had not remembered being told to expect that, so I did the next best thing and went into the Lapband chat room and asked about it. The folks in there were great and I was able to get an immediate answer to go get gas-x and to do some walking. Do not drink from a straw, do not drink carbonated drinks and watch gassy food for these first few days after surgery. You have a lot of swelling in there that has to subside yet. Anytime you need help, just go into the chat and ask, those folks have been through it, believe me. They can help! Jodi

Different things cause me to feel tighter. I definately feel tighter when I exercise. If I go a week without, I don't feel like I have a lot of restriction for some reason. With my band I feel different on a daily basis. I just have learned to adjust to it. I am at it's mercy. One day I can eat something and the next I won't feel so well eating the same thing. Some days I can eat in the morning, some not. I think that for some of us the band is just a little more finacky. Good Luck.

I agree with LauriGee.The band is a VERY finicky thing. When I notice super tightness like you, I switch to Hot Drinks for the remainder of the day until my band isn't super tight anymore. I also watch what I eat, and pick 'easier' foods till it goes away. Odd, huh? You'll be dealing with it for the rest of your life. Embrace the craziness of the band. LOL.

I have that problem when I drink something really cold. My surgeon told me cold drinks can cause the esophogus to constrict, making more restriction. It doesn't happen all the time, usually first thing in the morning or if it has been a while since I've had anything.