Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery, need support

Hello, all...I am seeking support and guidance. I have decided to have the surgery, have had my initial consultation and my family doctor has written a letter on my behalf.

I still have all the pre-surgery stuff to do...seeing a psychologist and nutritionist, getting insurance approval, etc.

I decided to do this over a year ago and talked to my family and friends about it then. Didn't get much support. So I gave it another year, tried to lose weight on my own but of course gained instead.

I think my husband is behind me...he's never been a very supportive type of person. But he's not telling me NOT to do it, so I guess that counts as supporting me. But I'm not talking to my family and friends about it this time. I already know they don't support it...they also don't know what it's like to be 100 pounds overweight.

SO, since this is my health and my decision, I choose to seek support from some new friends...people who are going through or have been through the same thing.

There is a support group in Ithaca, NY, which is where I work, but I live 25 miles in the opposite direction. My life is very busy with kids and work and everything else, I just think that my best bet is to get support online.

I hope to hear from anyone, particularly people in my general area. I live between Ithaca and Binghamton, NY...but it doesn't really matter WHERE you are...I just need some new friends!

I am not near New York, but I can say welcome to lapbandtalk. I think this will be exactly what you are looking for. Be sure you go to the FAQ section also. It may be able to answer a lot of questions for you. Lap-Band Surgery Frequently Asked Questions - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

I was banded 6 months ago and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I no longer hurt when I walk. I can walk in the mall without becoming exhausted. I have gone from a tight size 26/28 to a 18/20 so far. I have not attended any local support groups, I just come on here and it has been enough.

Good Luck!

I'm really finding it reassuring that people have had so much success on here. Congratulations on your success, too! Those are all things I want. I don't want to be perfect but lugging around all this extra weight sure takes its toll!

I'm excited and scared all at the same time. Now that I have decided to do this, I will be so disappointed if the insurance doesn't approve it...

Hey there - I am new to the forum but am in a similar phase in the process as you. I also live in Binghamton, if that helps. My goal is also to loose 100 lbs, I’ve been approved to proceed by the weight loss center and my first mandatory conference is February 11. I'm looking forward to attending and to determining how soon I can have the surgery done. I've spoken with my insurance company, and everything but the nutritional counseling is approved, so that is a relief. Feel free to email me anytime – at least we can complete the journey together!

Hi workingsahm,

Welcome to lapband talk, this is a wonderful forum. I came here back in 07 when I was thinking about having the surgery, reading and talking to other people just made me more determined to have it done. I wish you nothing but the very best in your care, decision and the future. You can send me a private message anytime you like and I will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Hello, all...I am seeking support and guidance. I have decided to have the surgery, have had my initial consultation and my family doctor has written a letter on my behalf.

I still have all the pre-surgery stuff to do...seeing a psychologist and nutritionist, getting insurance approval, etc.

I decided to do this over a year ago and talked to my family and friends about it then. Didn't get much support. So I gave it another year, tried to lose weight on my own but of course gained instead.

I think my husband is behind me...he's never been a very supportive type of person. But he's not telling me NOT to do it, so I guess that counts as supporting me. But I'm not talking to my family and friends about it this time. I already know they don't support it...they also don't know what it's like to be 100 pounds overweight.

SO, since this is my health and my decision, I choose to seek support from some new friends...people who are going through or have been through the same thing.

There is a support group in Ithaca, NY, which is where I work, but I live 25 miles in the opposite direction. My life is very busy with kids and work and everything else, I just think that my best bet is to get support online.

I hope to hear from anyone, particularly people in my general area. I live between Ithaca and Binghamton, NY...but it doesn't really matter WHERE you are...I just need some new friends!

That really sucks about the lack of support. You will get it here for sure. This is a great Forum. It still doesn't make up for the people who care about you the most supporting you. Thank God boyfriend (all 153 lbs) of him is excited for me. My mom is still not so sure. She said "Why can't you just eat less"? I said...Well, why cant you! I reminded her that statistics show that of the people who lose weight with dieting...only about 5% keep it off. That's a very small number.

Remember this is your life! You go girl! Hopefully this will be one of the best decisions of our lives.

That really sucks about the lack of support. You will get it here for sure. This is a great Forum. It still doesn't make up for the people who care about you the most supporting you. Thank God boyfriend (all 153 lbs) of him is excited for me. My mom is still not so sure. She said "Why can't you just eat less"? I said...Well, why cant you! I reminded her that statistics show that of the people who lose weight with dieting...only about 5% keep it off. That's a very small number.

Remember this is your life! You go girl! Hopefully this will be one of the best decisions of our lives.

My husband weighs about 155lb! He is wonderful. I am lucky to have been surrounded by very supportive people.

But, I didn't do this for any of them, I did this for me, because I DESERVE IT!

workingsahm: Tune out any negative people and do as you have been and don't discuss it with them.

Thanks again...this is giving me just what I had hoped for. I'm brand new at this...how do you get all the cool looking stuff that shows your starting weight and where you are now and other stats?

Thanks again...this is giving me just what I had hoped for. I'm brand new at this...how do you get all the cool looking stuff that shows your starting weight and where you are now and other stats?

For my stats, I just typed it in my Edit Signature part of my profile. On upper right corner of this page click on quick links and then edit signature. To make a ticker, you should be able to click on mine. Go to that website and make yours. At the end after the ticker is created, there will be a code at the bottom. Copy the first one, for forums, and then paste this also in the edit signature section. Click preview signature to make sure it looks correct before you save it.

Hey I'm down here in Cajun land you will get good support here all people with common goals . As far as insurance, bill a good case list all health problems and all past diets , get pcp to write letter to the company. It takes time but time is going by anyway. good luck:thumbup: