Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

could use some advice

HELP.... I'm one week post op and am dreading the exercise part of the program. How do I motivate myself and when and where do I start? Any input would be appreciated. I don't have a treadmill and it is quiet icy outside now so walking for exercise is limited for the moment.

You need to find something you love to do that involves moving your body. Like dancing. Or ice skating. Or join an intramural league (volleyball and basketball are in season as is indoor soccer).

Once you find something you love to do, then the movement and commitment will follow.

Is there a decent sized mall near you? If so, listening to music and mall-walking could really get you going. Some malls even open early for "mall-walkers" before they open their stores. It's safe, indoors, warmer.. and if you go when the mall is open you even have some fun stuff to look at (and it might be motivating to see those "skinny" jeans in the window that you could be wearing in a few months). That option is nice because it's free, and it still gets you out of your house.

If you can work out at home, more power to you. I personally can't. I need to be in a seperate "workout" mindset, and it requires me stepping out of my comfort space to do it.

If you've got some $ to spare, you could join a gym. And start with low-impact movement like the elliptical, walking on the treadmill, or even around a track if they have one. When you're fully healed, incorporating weights or circut training will keep things fresh and challenging.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of the exercise are you dreading? Boredom? Fear of failure? Being self-conscious? That might be helpful to know so people can help motivate you more. :thumbup:

HELP.... I'm one week post op and am dreading the exercise part of the program. How do I motivate myself and when and where do I start? Any input would be appreciated. I don't have a treadmill and it is quiet icy outside now so walking for exercise is limited for the moment.

I would first find out if your doctor has released you to do exercise and what type. Usually all doctors agree walking is okay, but ask your doctor anyway.

When I did not have my treadmill, I purhcased all the DVDs that Leslie Sansone created. Love the!!!! They are called walking away the pounds. They really had me working up a sweat. They range from a 1-mile up to 5-mile in door walk.

I also like utilizing the free videos on Sparkpeople.com You can track calories, Protein, and exercise and its all free.

As far as motivation. It was really hard right after surgery. But, I joined the exercise challenge thread on this forum and I bought an Ipod. Plus, I have lost three pant sizes, which really motivates me to want to do even more exercising.

Good luck.