Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of country lap band surgery(regarding follow ups and fills)

Hello,

For the past (close to) a year now, I have been researching different clinics regarding having the lap band surgery. I have narrowed it down to 3 (2 clinics in the toronto and greater toronto area, and one inthe USA). I visited my doctor and she filled out the neccesary forms to requesting to have the government/OPHIP cover the cost of my surgery. My doctor informed me that she was succesful in having it paid for by OHIP for 6 of her paitents that requested it. However, she informed me that if it were to be covered by OHIP, the only place where I could go to have it done would be to the Barix clinic in the USA. My concern about this is regarding the 'fills' and follow up care that comes after the surgery. Does anyone know (or have experience) with having the surgery out of the country, specifically with the Barix clinc? Would I be able to have the fills and follow up care where I live (in Toronto area)? I know that I have the option of taking a loan out to pay for the surgery if I choose to have it done where I live, however, money,as for many of us, is a major issue. My main concern is however, the aftercare. I'm concerned that I may not be able to recieve the same amount/type of aftercare if I go out of the country to have the surgery as I would if I do it close to where I live. Has anyone had this done, and if you have what has your experience with it been like? The initial trip to the states to have the surgery done is not as much as an issue, however, I do not drive and to make the 12+ hour drive back(via bus) each time to the clinic for follow ups and fills is quite daunting. Does anyone have any information in regarding having follow ups and fills closer to where you live once you have had out of country surgery? I'm having a hard time making a decision and would appreciate any helpful suggestions and info! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Citrus

Well that is a tough one, Thing is my Dr is the one that will do my fills and this was included with the cost of the surgery, However in a conversation with my Dr, someone local had the lap band surgery from someone that was not local, this person ended up with a problem that My dr had to fix in the ER and he did not get compensated at all for it. Things happen. I had to make a 2 year committment to my Dr to stay in this area so that he can keep up with my progress and do my fills etc. I will see him every 3 months after the next couple of visits and then when 2 years is up I will only have to go 1 time a year. Not a big deal, If I do leave the area I am in now he said that most of the bigger cities have Bariatric Dr's that can take care of emergencies etc.

Of course if you research DRs before you have it done then that Dr may wonder why you are going elsewhere for the surgery. Just some thoughts. Sorry I can't help with the main questions. Keep digging for info, Call the clinics that are closer to you and ask them the questions you have listed here, they may be able to help you.

Mountainmomma,

I would much rather get them done by the same doctor that does my surgery, and also paying the 'one time fee' for the surgery which includes all the aftercare/fills costs seems more practicle to me then having to get that done elsewhere and paying each time for it. Thank you for your response, you have given me a couple thnigs to think about!

Citrus