Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped port In June, Clogged in August GRRRRRR

I was banded on January 17, 2005. I am down 54 lbs. I have had my share of complications lately though and am getting very discouraged. We went a whole month in June to finally find out my port was flipped and empty for some odd reason. We surgically fixed it and it has not leaked since which is very odd. But none the less I am thankful it is not leaking :)

Then on August 3 I got a MAJOR clog in my band. For about 5 hours I could not keep anything down, not even Water or my own saliva. It was horrible and so very painful. I had to go in under fluro and have my band emptied. Now I am back to square one again and have to wait a couple weeks to get a fill in it. On September 1 I am scheduled for gall bladder surgery. It just seems it has been one thing after another.

Even though I am still down 54 lbs I know it could of been more without all these complications. I guess I just need to remember that I could not of lost that amount of weight in that amount of time with any other diet. It is just hard right now to keep my head up.

Has anyone else had crap like this happen 7 months out of surgery or less?

Mary

Sorry Mary you have had such a rough time of it.

I havent' had any of your same experiences. However, I've had different crap to deal with.

The week after I was banded I got my period. The period from hell. It didn't stop even after the D&C. It didn't stop after the months of BC pills. It only stopped a month ago because they put me on depo prevera. I had an overian cyst rupture, and that was worse pain than child birth.

I'm still recovering from the uterine ablation and laparotomy I had done last week. They had to removed the damage from the cyst and discovered that I had several cysts that haddn't ruptured.

I still haven't had a "typical" banding experience because my hormones are all over the flipping road.

Guest tawnyday

Sorry Mary you have had such a rough time of it.

I havent' had any of your same experiences. However, I've had different crap to deal with.

The week after I was banded I got my period. The period from hell. It didn't stop even after the D&C. It didn't stop after the months of BC pills. It only stopped a month ago because they put me on depo prevera. I had an overian cyst rupture, and that was worse pain than child birth.

I'm still recovering from the uterine ablation and laparotomy I had done last week. They had to removed the damage from the cyst and discovered that I had several cysts that haddn't ruptured.

I still haven't had a "typical" banding experience because my hormones are all over the flipping road.

ok, how about i started my period the morning of my surgery? nurse was like no pads, tampons or nothing...just had a towel under me during surgery...most embarrassing

Even though I am still down 54 lbs I know it could of been more without all these complications.

Think of it this way...without your banbd would you have lost 54 lbs since Jan 2005?

Doubtful I'm sure!

So you have had a few problems, I'm sure you knew their were risks and the possibiility of complications before you had the surgery right?

I have had my share of problems to..I had complete bowel obstruction surgery since my band, I'd take what you had happen any day over what I had happened, I almost died. I also had esophagitis.

I'm sorry you have had these problems. I do not wish them on anyone, but problems do arise. Be thankful they are not worse

Then on August 3 I got a MAJOR clog in my band. For about 5 hours I could not keep anything down, not even Water or my own saliva. It was horrible and so very painful. I had to go in under fluro and have my band emptied. Now I am back to square one again and have to wait a couple weeks to get a fill in it. On September 1 I am scheduled for gall bladder surgery. It just seems it has been one thing after another.

Even though I am still down 54 lbs I know it could of been more without all these complications. I guess I just need to remember that I could not of lost that amount of weight in that amount of time with any other diet. It is just hard right now to keep my head up.

Has anyone else had crap like this happen 7 months out of surgery or less?

Mary

Hi Mary, me again.

One thing that sort of sticks with me is the "back to square one."

I'm not sure what you mean by that. For me, when some one says that, it implies in my mind that they have lost all that they gained, that they made no progress at all.

How do you "know" you could have done "better?" How do you know that you wouldn't be one of our slow loosers? I think you're already ahead of the 1-2 pounds that most of us loose. You are doing GREAT!

"Any other diet..." Are you viewing your band as a diet? Why are you having a hard time being proud of your awesome, awe-some accomplishment? You should be doing Jenna's patented "booty shaking dance!"

You guys are all right and I know things could be worse and that is true with anything in life. I just needed to vent and was having problems. I did not mean to be a whiner. As for the starting over comment, no I did not gain the weight back. I had to start over with nothing in the band and slowly go back up again which can mean a little weight gain is possible. Again sorry for being a whiner I just needed to talk to someone but I guess I come off wrong. I just needed some support as so many people do not understand unless they have been thru it. GOd bless.

I got done June 9th had no fill and I am having surgery today for a port revision have gained weight miseraable have to take time off from work and are really upset you

Ah, right gotcha. I'm very glad you got the unfill. You don't want to risk your health or your band.

It is a very good thind indeed that you had the unfill. I don't think of a total unfil as a bad thing. It will give you a chance to further reflect on things.