Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from North Alabama

Hi, my name is Christy and I live in North Alabama. I found your site by surfing the net for more information on the lap band surgery.

I'm still in the very beginning stages of my considering weight loss surgery.

Scared to death to do it, scared to death if I don't.

So, I suppose you could say I'm on the fence and trying to get the courage to jump off on yall's side.

Would love to hear from other folks in my area and am looking forward to reading all the information on here.

Looks like a great group of folks here.:wink2:

Christy

Welcome Christy :wink2:

Good luck with your decision, it's the best thing I ever decided to do! I live in Madison/Huntsville.

Hi Christy! I am also in Alabama. I have been where you are. I was approved for gastric bypass in 2003 and chickened out the day of surgery because of the risk of all the complications and I had a coworker that had it done and had a stroke immediately post op. I weighed all my options and decided on Lap Band surgery. I knew all surgery had complications but the Lap Band risk was lower than that of bypass. So I researched and researched and changed my mind a million times. I even lost 100 pounds on my own over a year, only to gain it back plus some in a matter of a few months. I started having health problemas and my weight was really affecting my personal life. I never even wanted to leave the house anymore except to go to work. Anyway, after getting an insurance denial because my surgeons office filed my preapproval wrong and I knew it would take months on the appeal-I just ran off to Mexico and had it done for a fraction of the cost here. It was a great experience and the care and facilities were excellent. I am so glad I finally did it. I am 40lbs lighter already and I feel great for the first time in a long time. The Lapband is only a tool and it requires serious lifestyle changes but it was well worth it to me. Good Luck on your journey!!!!

Thanks!

Is your name Laura?

Who did your surgery? My GP has suggested someone in our area that I've read some nagative things about on here.

I know I am the type that needs "hand-holding" so to speak, so need to find a doctor that will answer questions and be patient with me.

You can send me an e-mail if you like or if you've already posted about your surgeon just direct me to that thread.:wink2:

Hello Christy, I am from Huntsville. I had mine done by Dr. Groves in Albertville. He also has offices in Guntersville. Dr. Groves has the band also. His partner Dr. Britt did his. I love them to death. They have a great staff. There are threads on here for Alabama. Just go and read them. Research and choose the Dr. that you are comfotable with. Good luck and keep us posted.:wink2:

Thanks. I had read your post the other night about your doctors in Albertville. The Guntersville office would be almost as close to me as the Huntsville one. From what I've gotten from reading so far. I'm thinking they (Groves and Britt) might be the best bet for me.

I do have a question to anybody that can answer. After surgery, are any of the re-check office visits covered with insurance or any of the fills? What can I expect out of pocket post surgery? I have Blue Cross/Alabama.

Thanks.

Christy

Sorry Christie, I can't answer that one. I was self pay. I didn't trust insurance. If I am correct insurance pays for so many fills the first yr. Just check with your insurance and which ever Dr.s you choose. Good luck.

:thumbup:Hi to all, My journey started 267 lbs. Oct. 2007, Dr. Britt did my surgery, he is very personable caring terrific man, thank GOD he is in Guntersville, Alabama. I am very proud!!! down 93 lbs. no high blood pressure or any other health problems. I have saved BCBS$$$$$$$$$I spent out of pocket $30.00 in 2008. Unreal..