Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soreness at port site

I am 1 year post-op and a new problem I have been experiencing is pain (more like soreness) at my port site. Most noticably after eating for maybe an hour or two. It's nothing excruciating or anything, but I have never had it before. Just curious wether anyone ese had the same problem. The only thing I could think it would be is the heaviness of my food sitting in the pouch tugging on it, making it sore but I don't even know if that is something that even happens or something I just made up in my head. I can tell you that everything has checked out fine when they have looked inside when they use flouroscopy and there is no twisting or bending or anything. Had a slight unfil about 2 weeks ago and there is no redness, irritation or swelling where they injected me to take out the Fluid so I am pretty sure it's not infection. It feels more like the muscle is sore. And it does go away an hour or two after eating. If anyone else has felt this or knows what it is, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

Hi there

I'm 7 mos post op & have my port site is quite painful all the time. So bad that I am looking to have my band removed. Very disappointed. I have not lost any weight & the port has been placed in what I think is a bad place. Up real high just above my left boob. I have spent more on trying to find a bra that didnt kill me than I did the surgery itself (insurance paid all but $100). I am looking for a new surgeon that will remove the band & do gastric bypass. Hopefully that will work. Good luck on the port site, I hear it can be "tender" for years. Its not for me

It feels more like the muscle is sore. And it does go away an hour or two after eating. If anyone else has felt this or knows what it is' date=' I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks so much.[/color'][/b]

mindy this sounds pretty similar. i have had port tenderness for about a month or 2, which i just chalked up to heavy ab routines my trainer has put me through. i had it checked out as well - all in place, but it was found that i had a hernia right underneath it that could have been the cause of the pressure/pulling feeling i had after eating or a workout.

when i went in for the hernia repair on thursday, my surgeon told me that i had a slight infection by my port sight. that would not have been found unless i had an endoscope, something fluoro won't tell you.

he told me we caught it in time, infections can lead to erosion...however i'm on a round of antibiotics/anti infamatory/pain meds to clear the infection quickly before spreading. i go next tsday to see if the infection is cleared via an endoscope.

i say this not to alarm, but the fluoro exam won't detect an infection. my dr recommends a scope each yr of banding for just this sort of "thing" - i've got my fingers crossed that this was caught in time. i would contact your dr to have this test done.

good luck!

I am one year and one month post-op. My port hurts too after eating. Usually when I eat too much.

It usually goes way after a short time. The doctor does not know what causes it, but as long as it goes away my doc is fine with it.

It does not happen all the time just when I eat too much.