Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my approval today!!!

Well, I am pretty excited. I got my approval from Aetna today. Lorena @ Dr. Spiegal's office in Houston submitted my paper work on the 15th and they called back on the yesterday the 16th to tell me the good news. I must have screamed so loudly! My students were like Ms.? What's going on and when I told them, they were all like YEAAAH MS. B's gonna have her skinny surgery now!! It was cute. Needless to say, I was really happy to hear that.

Does anyone know how much more time it takes to get the surgery date after your approval from your insurance?

Congrats.. on your approval!! I got my surgery date..really fast I was approved in November & scheduled two weeks tops after...It goes by really fast before you know it you will have your band..:(

Well, I am pretty excited. I got my approval from Aetna today. Lorena @ Dr. Spiegal's office in Houston submitted my paper work on the 15th and they called back on the yesterday the 16th to tell me the good news. I must have screamed so loudly! My students were like Ms.? What's going on and when I told them, they were all like YEAAAH MS. B's gonna have her skinny surgery now!! It was cute. Needless to say, I was really happy to hear that.

Does anyone know how much more time it takes to get the surgery date after your approval from your insurance?

Congrats Rhonda, I have Aetna and just had my surgery on January 14TH. My paper work was sent in on Dec 22nd 2008 and was approves Dec.24Th . I had to wait two weeks for surgery ,and you will need that time to get yourself together ,so go buy everything you will need cause you really won't feel like going out right away . I went an bought Protein waters ,protein drinks , sugar free ice pops ,chicken and beef broth fat free (Wal-mart sells the best tasting broth I've ever had in cans ) you get two serving out of them . I also bought fat free Jello . I suggest bring chap stick to the hospital cause your going to need it ,and big pj's you really don't want anything around your surgery area. Best of wishes to you ,and Congrats again .

Thank you for the responses! I am so looking foward to it. It has been a long time coming.

Ronda, can you tell me what Protein Waters and Protein Drinks are:blushing:? Are you talking about stuff to make smoothies with? Do you mind reccommending a brand to me so that I can go and buy some? I am going grocery shopping on Tuesday and I need to have everything ready. You were also telling me about Wal-Mart broths, what brands are you talking about?

Also, can you all tell me how long it took you to be back up and running or to return to work. I can't miss that many days.:(

Congrats Rhonda, I have Aetna and just had my surgery on January 14TH. My paper work was sent in on Dec 22nd 2008 and was approves Dec.24Th . I had to wait two weeks for surgery ,and you will need that time to get yourself together ,so go buy everything you will need cause you really won't feel like going out right away . I went an bought Protein waters ,protein drinks , sugar free ice pops ,chicken and beef broth fat free (Wal-mart sells the best tasting broth I've ever had in cans ) you get two serving out of them . I also bought fat free Jello . I suggest bring chap stick to the hospital cause your going to need it ,and big pj's you really don't want anything around your surgery area. Best of wishes to you ,and Congrats again .

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Wal-mart brand $.50 a can absolutely the best tasting broth I have ever had, as for the Protein Drinks Special K2o Protein Waters already mixed (different favors) . I also bought the powered mix drinks you add to Water Crystal Light makes them too. Do get a case of water ,and keep some cold you will need them ,and plenty of ice. I used an ice pack for my belly to keep swelling down ,and a heating pad for my back to help with the gas pains.I walked over to the pharmacy and was looking for the powered whey Protein it contains 66 grams of protein (2 scoops)another great tasting drink I grabbed the vanilla favor(skim milk ).

I figured I'll be drinking this stuff for some time so to which it up I grabbed Slim Fast chocolate (I put them in the freezer and the get like frosty texture (like a milk shake ) pretty good . I hope this helps OOh one more thing do get GASX STRIPS YOU WILL NEED THEM .I think I covered all ,but if I didn't I will write you again. I 'm not back at work I'm only 3 days out ,and need the relaxation ,the pain does subsides as the days go by.I hope you don't rush yourself.I also hope you have help at home ,my husband has been a God sent for me ,helping me up ,and fixing my pillows have one always near me because of coughing to press against my stomach ease the pain .I find it hard to get down my liquids but I try, not really hungry for anything except ice chips. I am so happy I had this surgery and I keep saying it will be worth it in the end .I will be much more healthy ,happy ,and that helps with ever aspect of my life . Let me know if you need to know anything else I'm here to help .Best Wishes

YAY!!! Bringa pillow with you to surgery, it will help support you when you hold it in front of you as you get in and out of your car. Also a buffer between you and the seatbelt.

Okay, I got it. I am going to go to Wal-Mart tonight. I will definitely keep the pillow at the top of my list. What medications did you all take that were subscribed? How many meds did you get?

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for 1/26. I have been wondering about what kind of bed clothes to take to hospital to wear. I have to spend the night at hospital on the night of surgery. Would you recommend a short gown or pjs (2 piece)? Which do you think would be more comfortable? Thanks, Laura

Glad to reead this thread. Good advice - the kind they don't tell you in the brochures! I'm getting banded Jan 29. Good luck all!

I'm still curious as to how you really felt the first day or two after surgery. What kind of painkillers did they prescribe? How bad it the pain?

Yeah, I want to know that too. I met a lady and she told me that she was able to go back to work two days after her band. She claimed that she could have gone back the next day, but she just wanted to take the extra day off...is this really possible, or was she just pulling my leg

I think deciding when you go back to work also depends on the type of work that you do. I will be banded on the 27th and I'm taking off 3 weeks. My job is pretty strenuous with alot of lifting, bending, standing and walking so I want to make sure I give myself time to heal completely before getting back. If your job requires more sitting (like in an office setting) you may not need a long time off.

Hi Ladies,

I was prescribed Oxycod/apap 5/325 every 4 hours for pain :tongue:and I also purchased liquid Tylenol (EXTRA STRENGH) ADULT RAPID BLAST ,as pre gas pain meds I did buy Gas X Strips ,but they did not work well enough for me ,so my hubby went back to the pharmacy and asked 'What was the Best over the counter "? He then brought home PhaZyme(softgel caspules) and that worked wonders for me :). The meds they give are in pill form ,but don't worry the dissolve very fast and do not cause pain .I might add you would want to request pain pills before you leave the hospital for the ride home.That way some one can go to the pharmacy for you while you wait at home relaxing:sleep:. I really don't know if it is possible to go to work two days out ,but then again it depends on your job and how you deal with pain. Personally I'm still home and will be for another weekI hope this helps everyone ,and Best Wishes to you all as the days go bythe pain does ease up I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt some ,but you will get better soon .:wink2:

Okay, I am a teacher so I can sit and teach when I need to and everyone knows that I am embarking on this journery.

Rhonda53,

You will do good ,and you should be just fine with going back to work .I hope all the information I gave you helps, I feel so good today I went out and hit the stores for grocery's for the family ,then took my grandson sleigh riding .Well I watched him from the hill ,but it was nice to get out ,and get fresh air and move around a lot more:thumbup: .The pain is going away I figure by next Friday I will be a 100% better .I have noticed my belly has gone down a great deal can't wait for it to go even further . Please let me know how you are doing ,and take care .