Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having problems eating to fast

Help!

I've been at this a month now and still find myself eating to fast. It's a killer, and I have come close to frothing a couple times. I was hoping for some tips on how to eat more slowly.

Anyone out there who has found something that works for you, please share!

yup - this is definately a huge problem for me that I know will take a long time to combate.

I try to take a bite - put my utensil down, chew. count to 5 lol - but Ive had too many close calls already.

I was banded in August and still have problems sometimes. Some things I've discovered.

1. Don't get too hungry before eating something. Even if you just take a bite of some Protein while you're fixing dinner to stave off the major hunger. You may still be hungry but you won't be starving. I always end up eating too fast if I get too hungry. I don't realize it, til it hurts going down, what I've done.

2. Eat by the clock if you have to. Where I sit at the table, I can see the clock on the microwave. I have to keep watching the time to make sure I'm not eating in less than 10 minutes (was my normal). Ideal is at least 15-20 minutes.

3. Try not to be distracted while eating. I have a 2 1/2 yr old DD and it's hard. If I'm dealing with her and chewing at the same time, invariably I'll swallow too soon and then here comes the pain!

4. Physically set your utensil down between bites. Sounds silly 'cause we've never done that before but it really does help. If we're holding our fork/spoon while waiting to finish chewing, we're already thinking about the next bite instead of concentrating on the current bite. Again, here comes the pain if I swallow too soon.

5. After each bite, take a moment to make sure it's going to go down. This also gives you a moment to decide if you really want the next bite. I'll actually sit back away from the table while I chew. I don't pull my chair up close to the table anymore. I have to lean towards the table to take my bite, then I put my fork down and sit back against the chair, with my hands in my lap, while I chew and wait a moment before taking another bite.

I hope this helps. It's a long learning process for us. We're changing YEARS of horrible habits in a matter of days, weeks or months. It takes time and unfortunately sometimes a lot of error. Hang in there, you'll get it eventually. You have to or you'll just keep hurting yourself!

Oops! I just realized I posted on a Dec'08 thread, so sorry about that.

I totally know how you feel. I finally have some restriction this week and boy I am learning the hard way to slow down and chew. Last night had the sliming for about 10 minutes. Sheesh that is the worst feeling when something is stuck. The post before me had some good ideas. It's funny how I still want to finish that dinner though. Total head thing. I guess it is a learning process for us all.

:yikes:

Thanks Heartfire,

I appreciate your advice. Your right if I let myself get really hungry I do eat much faster.

Is there a certain number of hours apart you eat? I have a band friend that says she eats every 4 hours on the clock. I can't do that.

Great advice, and I'll try it. Always open for more suggestions from others

Oh yeah and mothers rule about chewing a bite 25 times is impossible!

I don't know if any of you have tried it, but if it's not a really really tough piece of shoe leather, you can't make it to 25.

Last night had the sliming for about 10 minutes. Sheesh that is the worst feeling when something is stuck.

It's funny how I still want to finish that dinner though. Total head thing. I guess it is a learning process for us all.

I serve myself small portions of everything. After I've eaten it, I stop for a good few minutes, sometimes as much as 5. If I'm still hungry, I'll go back and only put a few more bites on my plate, then go sit down to eat it. Sometimes I don't finish it. Don't put the stuff on the table and serve from there. Leave it on the stove/counter. Makes you have to get up to go get it!

Also, go get some chewable papaya enzymes to keep on hand. Keep some at work and keep some on you at all times when you're out. That helps a bunch! It's saved me several times. I've not PB'd at all. Just slimmed and felt like a PB was coming. The PEs help a bunch and if you get some with chlorophyl in them, it helps to rebuild cells too. I actually take some after every meal just to help with digestion and the cell rebuilding. You can find them at any good health store or Vitamin store.

I still have a hard time with some things. I want to eat more even tho I know I can't. :yikes:

Is there a certain number of hours apart you eat?

I'm home w/my DD and work for our church from home so I don't have a schedule per se.

I eat Breakfast, well, drink it, right now! I can't eat in the AM. I drink a shake, then have some hot tea and take my supplements and meds (the tea helps open my band enough to get my BP pill down). That's usually no later than 9/9:30. Then usually between 12-1 I take my 1st dose liquid Iron (1st Calcium in the AM) and have lunch. Between 2:30-3:30 I take the 2nd half of my supplements (2nd Calcium included) and eat some dried apricots to help w/constipation. dinner is then after 5 sometime along w/my 2nd dose of Iron. Sometimes, I'll have a snack later. Just depends. Usually I'm not hungry. If I do have something, I make sure it's by 8:30-9:00. That's when I put my DD down for bed and I don't like to eat after she's down. It's too late and I have to stay up for awhile to make sure it all stays down. (Nothing like eating, then going to bed. You can feel it in your throat. Yuck!)

I don't know if any of you have tried it, but if it's not a really really tough piece of shoe leather, you can't make it to 25.

Nope, never tried it! LOL! My luck, I'd lose count!

Also, go get some chewable papaya enzymes to keep on hand. Keep some at work and keep some on you at all times when you're out. That helps a bunch! It's saved me several times. I've not PB'd at all. Just slimmed and felt like a PB was coming. The PEs help a bunch and if you get some with chlorophyl in them, it helps to rebuild cells too. I actually take some after every meal just to help with digestion and the cell rebuilding. You can find them at any good health store or Vitamin store.

Thanks for the info I will have to try that.

"4. Physically set your utensil down between bites. Sounds silly 'cause we've never done that before but it really does help. If we're holding our fork/spoon while waiting to finish chewing, we're already thinking about the next bite instead of concentrating on the current bite. Again, here comes the pain if I swallow too soon."

So far, this is one of my biggest problems. I think I eat even faster than I did before I was banded. :( I appreciate reading this advice.. especially the one above - I really am going to try this.

Everyone's made great points above. I'm past the three year point now and I still eat too fast at times.

I find some things have changed - my natural rate of eating is much slower without me thinking about it. I naturally dont tend to want to sorts of foods that will cause me problems, over time, my desire for things like bread has decreased. I do chew more without having to really think about it too.

But still, if I'm hungry or really looking forward to eating something in parricular, I have to be VERY careful not to gulp it. Nothing more frustrating than sitting down to a nice meal you've taken ages to cook and getting stuck on the first bite!