Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 34.5 in FL - anyone konw of a surgeon around?

Hi,

I am at that weird threshold.... see 2 years ago I was at the same place weight wise that i am now. My friend went for the gastric sleeve while I said I would try to eat what she does and "mentally" have the band. Well here I am still obese and she is down litterally 100 pounds. So I am going for the band this time.

Does anyone know of a surgeon in central Florida that opperates on lower BMI? Can you send me contact info? Or even any doc that is ok with lower BMI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & good luck to all!:yikes:

I'm not familiar enough with the surgeons out that way to know, but I think if you self-pay, most surgeons aren't going to balk at a BMI of 34.5. That's still obese.

Hi,

I am at that weird threshold.... see 2 years ago I was at the same place weight wise that i am now. My friend went for the gastric sleeve while I said I would try to eat what she does and "mentally" have the band. Well here I am still obese and she is down litterally 100 pounds. So I am going for the band this time.

Does anyone know of a surgeon in central Florida that opperates on lower BMI? Can you send me contact info? Or even any doc that is ok with lower BMI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & good luck to all!:thumbup:

Hi!! I am in Melbourne, Florida.... I was a 35 bmi and had no issue getting approval from Dr Fusco. I was self pay due to my bmi and no co-morbidities but it was the best $$ I have every spent. My surgeon was very supportive as the band as a tool to use to prevent future morbid obesity. And he is approved by Lap Band as well. He also trains other surgeons etc. He has a web site too.... lifeshape.net --i think that is what it is.

Just to let you know-- everyone is different but Dr Fusco did let me know that it can be harder and slower loss for low bmi patients...And my loss has been quite slow but I think it is picking up now due having a treadmill and I am eating more and better calories (1100-1200 vs 800). He has a support group, a website/chat forum and mandatory followup, weigh in etc for at least a year to make sure you stay on track. I haven't been to a support meeting b/c of my work schedule but there is tons of support by him and the clinic.

Good luck!

Edited by kimmyv
add info

If you have insurance that covers bariatric above a 35 BMI, read HERE.

Hi everyone! feels weird because I have been following your threads for some time but never dared "come out".

I live in Europe (uk) and have decided to get banded. was initially accepted by a surgeon in Belgium but 2 weeks before surgery, his team decided i was not obese enough! as if being a little bit obese as opposed to very obese makes any difference to ones quality of life and self esteem. Anyway, wondering if anyone knows of any surgeon who would be ok with low BMI. have 29-30 but on the way up (as usual) and would like to end it right here and now.I am willing to travel anywhere.

please help me... I am sure you all know how I feel - on the brink of tears each and every day.

Middlegirl

Just wanted to say an "official" Welcome to LBT! I'd just suggest you so a seperate thread for your question (maybe on the Doctors/Hospital or pre-op forums). Just go to the proper forum and click 'start a thread' at the top and put info in the title like the person here did. You'll get lots more exposure that way and might get an answer to your question (no one will see it here...they'll only see the original post unless they click on it. I only saw it because I'd already answered this thread). I believe there's also a 'group' you can join in the UK (under forums, groups). Good luck! -BG