Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophagus Distension and Suggestions

All,

I rarely post (and should do a better job) but thought I would get thoughts and advice from others who may have experienced distended esophagus and how to handle this issue.

Background. Banded in March 2005 in Mexico (Dr. Sanchez). Pre-band 238, post (current) 157 (up a few pounds) a solid size six (with a size eight rear - lol!!!). I run three times a week and am very active. I am not disciplined about what I eat always. My main weakness is wine.

Yesterday I went to see my fill nurse for an adjustment. I had not had an adjustment since 10/07 and realized I was eating quite a bit more food and without the full sensation. An Esophogram showed that my esophagus was pretty distended, which is why I am not feeling full. Instead of food sitting in the stoma, it sits in my esophagus. My fill person also told me that the band has pretty much done all it can for me and showed me on the x-rays that still I'm very tight. She asked me if I wanted to remove all of my fill from the band for about 3 weeks to give the esophagus a break and then gradually add the fill again but could not guarantee that the unfill would really do the job to fix the esophagus. Some small part of me freaked out and had visions of gaining 30 pounds in 3 weeks. I ultimately told her no, especially since a review of a previous esophagram showed I had greater distension in 2007 than I do now.

I am wondering what others have done when their doctor has mentioned this and what, if anything I can do to get my esophagus back to a point where I 'feel' the full sensation without removing all my Fluid. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MJ

I tend to freak out when I hear about anything affecting the esophagus. My husband died of esophageal cancer 3 years ago after a lifetime of heartburn. The esophagus was not made to have food in it. Even without heartburn you could be damaging the esophagus. Can you have an endoscopy done to see what the esophagus looks like inside? I would ask for this test, if they can't do it I would have the unfill and then go from there.

I think that makes sense to get it checked out. I have done some further research, and found that some others have had a similar experience and basically gone on a 10 day liquid diet with gently added mushies to give the esophagus a break. I am going to try that, especially since I have no associated pain to see if it helps.

Thanks so much for your response and thoughts.