Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Describe your post op recovery please?

I am planning on a VSG due to losing my band in May because of a staph infection. Was wondering if someone could describe their post op recovery, how much pain, any problems like nausea? That sort of thing. thanks. I am expecting the post op diet to be similar to that of the band.

Post op with the band was little more painful than most as he fixed a hernia I did not know I had. I had the pain from that repair as well as the gas escaping around my shoulder area. I stayed home for a week and one half.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had less pain after the new guy took it out, than when the old guy put it in. I like my new surgeon better, he's much more personable.

I had a hiatal hernia repair too when I had my sleeve and it did really make the recovery slower and more painful. I had this horrible back pain.

I didn't have any issues with gas or nausea but that depends a lot on both the person and the surgeon so it's going to vary.

Thank you, I guess there aren't that many VSG folks here. I viewed ThinJourney's video's on youtube and he never mentioned any nausea. My doctor's office is warning

us of that and the nutritionist said it again yesterday, some get it some don't. I won't be getting any food while I am there, so that won't be a worry this time. I know I won't be feeling any hunger until a day or two after I go home, most likely.

Heya NeverGoBack...

I was just sleeved on 1/13/09 and I'm feeling great!

The recovery was a cakewalk... I had one tiny burp that the nurse worked out of me the morning after surgery (that was odd), but never had problems with gas or gas pain.

Immediately after surgery, they had me up walking and yeah - I kind of felt like I had been kicked in the gut by a horse. But hey - I'm a weinie! Take all pain meds they offer and sleep...

Next day, they took out my foley and I was walking alot.

Third day - they took out my drainage tube and that hurt quite a bit! I just gritted my teeth and it was over pretty quick. I was then taken to xray and drank some nasty stuff called Iodo - something. It's the stuff for a contrast xray to see if there are any leaks in your new sleeve. Just close your eyes and down it, it's gross but you'll live.

They released me then to go to the hotel... (I had my sleeve done in Mexico) and I came back that night for my evening meds (IV).

Next day, they took out my IV and I was released to go home.

All in all, I'd say about a fairly painless procedure... probably about a 3-4 out of 10 on the pain scale.

I've never had abdominal surgery before so I didn't know what to expect. That scared me more than anything else.

For being 5 days out of surgery, I feel great with just a lil itching and discomfort around the incision sites. Of course, my tummy muscles are still a lil sore, but I'm walking straight and drinking well.

I seem to have accumulated alot of gas last night... LOL!

It's gone now... *blushing - gigglin*

We DO need a place for us sleevers to go, don't we?

I found one forum, www.gastricsleevesupport.com and it's fun because it's Aussie based... LOL! I have no idea what weetbix are or if I'd ever eat poached fish... but they are very welcoming.

I'm finding that each WLS has their own following and can be quite elitist towards others... LOL! Another good forum is www.obesityhelp.com.

Good luck and I hope this helps...

TheCloudPainter

weight.png

Edited by TheCloudPainter

Thank you CloudPainter, my biggest concern was the nausea the doctor keeps warning me about. The procedure with my md is only one night in the hospital here in Houston. I was not too worried about the drainage tube, I had one with my (staph infection) abcess and this doctor took it out without any pain at all. That sucker was in for 5 or 6 days.

I will check out those other sites. PS: Wheetabix(sp) is a cracker, you can find them here, but I have never had one.

I had a gastric sleeve on January 8, 2009 in TJ Mexico. The first couple of days were really rough but I followed the doctor's recommendations exactley and soon began feeling much better.

The only complication I had were my lungs! I have asthma and was having problems with chest pain and lung capacity. Wonderful Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Almanza were both at my bedside within minutes of experiencing the chest pain and got me up out of bed walking around, using the incentive spirometer and soon, I was breathing and feeling better.'' I never had any nausea but did experience a lot of gas. Walking, lots of Water (when you are cleared to drink it) and Mylanta worked wonders.

Just remember that surgery is surgery! There is no such thing as risk free anything. Anyone who tells you that there are no complications or risks aren't telling you the truth. Even the best hospitals and doctors can't guarantee you a risk free, complication free surgery! MRSA, and other infections are very common no matter where you get your surgery (I am a nurse and work in geratric long term, skilled care and rehab and see it all the time!). The main thing to know is whether or not your doctor gives you IV and oral antibiotic (I got both after surgery and am still taking the oral antibiotics). Don't pass on the oral antibiotics because you think you feel great. Take them anyway and be ever watchful for any kind of infection. The sooner you get it treated... the less likely you are to have a life threatening complication.

My daughter and I just had our sleeves on Feb 11th with Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Almanza....can't say enough about how wonderfully we were treated. I'm a bit nervous actually being away from those that took such good care of me (they never allowed me to be in much pain) but am also glad to be back home. I woke up from surgery feeling great, the next day, not so wonderful, a lot of gas pains but I walked and walked, today the gas moved quite a bit but in the rush to fly home, am pretty exhausted....I'd have to say the biggest discomfort for me has been the bloated abdomen with the gas pains, once those get out of my system I think I will feel a whole lot better.

:rolleyes:

I can sympathize with you on the gas thing. I had alot of pain from that with my previous lap band. The pain would move up my left chest to the shoulder. It won't last too long.

I had none of that type gas pain with the sleeve surgery, they got it it all out. Although I do have a little bit of back pain, that might be attributed to the inflation gas maybe?

Five years ago, I would never have imagined these conversations I am having with you folks today. It is so wonderful to be able to reach out. Thank you all.

My daughter and I just had our sleeves on Feb 11th with Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Almanza....can't say enough about how wonderfully we were treated. I'm a bit nervous actually being away from those that took such good care of me (they never allowed me to be in much pain) but am also glad to be back home. I woke up from surgery feeling great, the next day, not so wonderful, a lot of gas pains but I walked and walked, today the gas moved quite a bit but in the rush to fly home, am pretty exhausted....I'd have to say the biggest discomfort for me has been the bloated abdomen with the gas pains, once those get out of my system I think I will feel a whole lot better.

:huh2:

It's interesting to me that you posted in a closed thread that you and your daughter were having the lapband done at the end of February and now you both have the VSG. Did something go wrong and you had to have the band removed and revise to a VSG?

I had a gastric sleeve on January 8, 2009 in TJ Mexico. The first couple of days were really rough but I followed the doctor's recommendations exactley and soon began feeling much better.

The only complication I had were my lungs! I have asthma and was having problems with chest pain and lung capacity. Wonderful Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Almanza were both at my bedside within minutes of experiencing the chest pain and got me up out of bed walking around, using the incentive spirometer and soon, I was breathing and feeling better.'' I never had any nausea but did experience a lot of gas. Walking, lots of Water (when you are cleared to drink it) and Mylanta worked wonders.

Post-op chest pain requires a STAT EKG, cardiac enzymes, and oxygen. You should not be up walking around until a cardiac cause for the chest pain is ruled out.

Just remember that surgery is surgery! There is no such thing as risk free anything. Anyone who tells you that there are no complications or risks aren't telling you the truth. Even the best hospitals and doctors can't guarantee you a risk free, complication free surgery! MRSA, and other infections are very common no matter where you get your surgery (I am a nurse and work in geratric long term, skilled care and rehab and see it all the time!).

I don't know where you work but post-op MRSA infections are not common and precautions to prevent nosocomial infections are closely tied to cleanliness of the facility and sanitizing schedules.

The main thing to know is whether or not your doctor gives you IV and oral antibiotic (I got both after surgery and am still taking the oral antibiotics).

You are still taking PO antibiotics since having your surgery in early Jan? Something is terribly wrong.

Don't pass on the oral antibiotics because you think you feel great. Take them anyway and be ever watchful for any kind of infection. The sooner you get it treated... the less likely you are to have a life threatening complication.

I feel so bad that you suffered an infection that requires continued antibiotics. Maybe you should see an MD that specializes in infection control. I am having surgery in Mexico and am so glad I read your post and did not choose your surgeon. Get well soon!

It's interesting to me that you posted in a closed thread that you and your daughter were having the lapband done at the end of February and now you both have the VSG. Did something go wrong and you had to have the band removed and revise to a VSG?

This explanation should be good....

I can't wait to hear the answers!

Just remember that surgery is surgery! There is no such thing as risk free anything. Anyone who tells you that there are no complications or risks aren't telling you the truth. Even the best hospitals and doctors can't guarantee you a risk free, complication free surgery! MRSA, and other infections are very common no matter where you get your surgery (I am a nurse and work in geratric long term, skilled care and rehab and see it all the time!). The main thing to know is whether or not your doctor gives you IV and oral antibiotic (I got both after surgery and am still taking the oral antibiotics). Don't pass on the oral antibiotics because you think you feel great. Take them anyway and be ever watchful for any kind of infection. The sooner you get it treated... the less likely you are to have a life threatening complication.

And:

DHendrey104:

Wait a minute, we have one person that has been on antibiotics for 2.5 months after a sleeve surgery by Almanza and two people that went to Betancourt/Almanza for bands and came home with sleeves.

Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

For a refresher:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/1166852-post65.html

And a person that claims to be a nurse that believes it is common to get MRSA from surgery. I do hope your MRSA is resolved quickly.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

The message that I got from reading those posts was, "STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM BETANCOURT/EMMANUAL AS YOU CAN GET". I leave for my surgery in Mexico in 6 days and if I were going to this clinic, I would cancel in a flash. Knowing that an RN is stating that MRSA is a common infection there should be a warning to everyone to seek a different facility. Geeeeeeez! Scary!