Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think my surgeon gets it..what do you think?

I was banded on 9/22 and had my first and only fill on 11/11.

Today I went for my second fill and when the surgeon came in (I haven't lost any weight since the 2 weeks post op) he started lecturing me on "the band is only a tool, etc.." and I told him that when the amount of food that I need to eat to lose weight both satisfies me and controls my hunger - then I'll lose weight. Here are the reasons I don't think he gets it..then tell me what you think.

1) He is a general surgeon who has only done 23 bandings.

2) In the hospital when I complained about left shoulder pain after surgery, he said it is usually in the right (I have researched this - it is almost always the left)

3) At my 3 week post-op visit he said he wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds by the next visit (in 3 weeks) with no fill.

4) He doesn't seem to take into account that I have lost 60 pounds in almost 4 years - and none of it due to the band. (pre and post op diets)

5) I have something underneath the port incision that looks like a cold sore. He didn't know what it was but couldn't prescribe anything because he said he's "just a surgeon he doesn't know what to prescribe - I would have to go to my PCP."

6) I didn't get a fill today because I told him of my chronic shoulder pain so he wants me to get an upper GI to see if the band is okay. This I agree with.

7) He seemed surprised that I have the same capacity for food as I did pre-band (I have 2cc's in a 10cc band).

I am 187 now and almost didn't qualify for the banding because my pre-op BMI went below 35.

I don't know what to think. I want to have confidence in him and he did a good job surgically. But I have doubts.

I get you, I don't get him...in other words, I concure. I'll be banded by May and I really don't expect to get to a good restriction until the holidays...until then, many people gain weight or lose only a little. Yes, it's a tool, but until it starts working for you there's little you can do to use it (like trying to use a lawn mower without starting the engine).

Why did you pick such an inexperienced surgeon? Did your insurance force it? I'd call and complain about him if that's the case.

why did you pick such an inexperienced surgeon? Did your insurance force it? I'd call and complain about him if that's the case.

can we say ditto?!?!?!??!

cleos mom, your post makes me really appreciate my surgeon.

you have a low bmi; it's not likely your weight will clip off fast..10-15lbs in 3wks, PLEASE pm me if you can do this. the most i ever lost in a 1 month period was 8 & that was the first month of banding. it's just not realistic or likely in many cases.

you may also require MANY fills for restriction - i needed 8.5ccs in my 10cc band before i "got it".....

you already had your surgery done by him - does the hospital you went to afford you another dr to work with? nutritionist? nurse?

only 23 bands under his belt - that's pretty green to be lecturing with such a small sampling of patients.

hope your GI turns out OK!

From hanging here for a few years, I'd say there's literally hundreds of surgeons that "dont get it". A surgeon is just a person, with his own personal life history behind him. Bariatric surgery is a rising field, its a great money spinner and many get into it for this reason. They may never have battled weight, never have been obese, never dealt with the issues of obesity before. You dont need to be an expert in any of that to place a lapband. My centre is the same, my surgeon was a general bariatric surgeon before getting into banding. He placed my band, he was a nice guy, he'd done enough bands to be very experienced in dealing with obesity, but I have only ever seen him three times in three years, the fills and general aftercare are managed by a team of doctors, my doctor is actually a sports medicine guy with many other interests and responsibilities outside his time at the clinic.

But key is the lack of judgement. My doctor is whippet like, he's obviously NEVER had a weight problem, he deals with olympic athletes most of the time and not fat emotional women, lol, but boy he does a great job at it.

That's what you want isnt it? Just some understanding, not judgement. Could you look for someone else?

Thanks everyone for your response. I am an older patient (just turned 58) and have problems driving so I chose a hospital close to home. There are only two surgeons who do this surgery - him and his partner. I originally had his partner but they switched me in order to schedule my surgery in Sept. (the other surgeon had too busy a schedule). And the other surgeon is emaciated (I'll bet he's a runner). Plus, my surgeon only sees bariatric surgery patients on Tuesdays in another doctor's office (who isn't there on Tuesdays). I also found out when I called after hours that he doesn't have an answering service - it just says go to the ER. I did post on this board before my surgery about his having only done 22 bandings and several repliers didn't think that was a problem - some said their doctors hadn't done a lot, either. Anyway, we'll see how the upper GI goes, if anything happens with my shoulder pain. Plus, since I have had food stuck twice already (my fault, I know) they scare the hell out of you about getting another fill. My nutritionist said I was lucky the food passed and I didn't need to have it removed in the ER. Pleasant thought. I guess I am having second thoughts about this whole band thing at this point. It's not what I thought it would be.

I'm really truly sorry that some people posted that inexperience, in their opinions, wasn't a problem. Obviously, it is. I've always been taught that to pick any "expert"...you select one that DOES whatever...A LOT. Plays the piano? You don't want one who plays the clarinet and just took up the piano. Works on your transmission? You don't want a guy who always changed the oil and now is learning trannies. Removes your gall bladder? You don't pick a plastic surgeon, no matter how skilled. I can see how you'd think "the people here are pros, they know". Sadly, though, we often don't. We can say what happened TO US...but that's very individualized and nothing to base YOUR health and safety on!

So a warning to those thinking of getting the band....take what you read here with a grain of salt! This place can be a WONDERFUL source of info...but not your ONLY source of info.

And Cleo's mom If you can possibly switch surgeons, I'd do so. The aftercare is 9/10 of the band, and you're not getting it. Venting about it here can help but you need to take care of yourself and apparently your surgeon can't help you with that. He may be highly skilled in the OR but he needs training, nevertheless. If you don't want to keep on being his guinea pig, find a new doc!

I'm really sorry you're having the trouble with him, but don't compound it by hanging in there. You're already doubting the band. Find a new one with some support!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

some insurances require the bariartric surgeon to have at least 300-400 surgeries to be competant in the craft. Some dont.... I would consult a bariartric surgeon to check this guy's advice... doesnt sound right.