Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is sched for 1/20. I have my pre-op visit this Thursday. I was not told to go on a pre-op diet. I see many out there were. Were any other's not on pre-op diet. :lol: I have all my post op instructions re the clears x 48hrs, then full liquids x 2 weeks.. then soft diet...

Thanks! I just had my second fill and finally have some good restriction. It is a longer process than bypass I think, but it definitely has been worth it! I'm off BP meds, lower blood sugar, and feeling a lot better!

My surgeon also did not require a pre-op diet, but I was so determined to do this "right" that I put myself on a liquid Protein diet 10 days prior to my surgery. Even so, I found out that my liver bled a bit, and the surgery was longer than usual to observe my liver. However, I made a fast, uneventful recovery. In retrospect, I'm glad I did the liquid diet before surgery, because it really made compliance after surgery pretty easy for me. I was all set for the post-op diet.

Good Luck!

I too have surgery scheduled for 1/20. I met my surgeon last Thursday and he put me on 3 Protein Shakes a day and liquids only (no or low cal). I was told to just get some quick weight loss prior to surgery to lessen risk of complications. As of this morning I've lost 6 pounds. Feeling satisfied hunger-wise and not at all tempted to "cheat". I guess also just satisfied that surgery date is finally here! Started the process April 2008.

FWIW, my surgeon didn't put me on a pre-surgery diet either, aside from the usual restriction prior to general anaesthesia. He said that it was the surgeon's preference and that, in his experience, two weeks of liquids didn't really make that much of a difference, especially not to an experienced surgeon. (He also told me about one of his first lap-band patients, when he was still being observed. The observing surgeon congratulated him on the nice, small size of the patient's liver. The patient hadn't been on any sort of pre-surgery diet.)

In the end, I've heard of surgeons doing it just about everyway to Sunday. It really depends on your surgeon. S/he will know his/her skills, as well as his/her preferences. You're trusting them to stick sharp things in your body, after all, you should trust them with their guidelines for what else goes in your body, too.

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I also have surgery on the 20th and my pre op appt on Wed. I was supposed to go to the dietician but have hard time getting the appointment. I have also not been put on a pre op diet and was wondering if that was normal. I am so excited for my new life to begin but am TERRIFIED at the same time. Good Luck!:lol:

My nutritionist made it very clear I'd be on liquids 2 weeks prior and after surgery, follow that with 2 weeks mushy. Whole food... 4 weeks after.

So no wonder my surprise when my date got set.

I discovered Dec 18, my surgery date was Dec 31. I mentioned to the surgeon's nurse that I'd better start my 2 week liquid preop diet. She said to wait until I met with the surgeon on Dec 23. He pretty much told me it didn't matter or not, just fast 12 hours prior to surgery.

At my 1 week postop appt, he said to go ahead with the mushies. Soon I'll be on whole food.< /p>

The nutritionist in the program is speechless, poor thing :lol:!

I did not have a preop diet either I was just told not to eat or drink anything by mouth after midnight the night before surgery hope this helps.